🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: When to use HTML
Page options
rebecca_rehak
Community Member

When to use HTML

I'm newer to Upwork and working on learning SEO and HTML so I can apply for more projects.  I'm wondering when I should be doing this or if their editors/designers will.

If a client asks for a blog article, does it need to be coded in HTML?  

I've sent in all my articles so far without it and haven't had a problem.  But the more I learn about SEO, the more it seems I should be doing this.  If it isn't requested that the article be SEO optimized, can I just send it to the client as a Word document?  And if an article is requested with SEO optimization, does it need to be coded in HTML?

I hope these questions make sense.  I still have a lot to learn.  Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Rebecca, I’m not a blog writer but HTML has little to do with SEO. There are a few HTML tags like <title> and <meta> that have bearing on SEO but I doubt you’ll be expected to provide those.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
yitwail
Community Member

Rebecca, I’m not a blog writer but HTML has little to do with SEO. There are a few HTML tags like <title> and <meta> that have bearing on SEO but I doubt you’ll be expected to provide those.

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate it.

hodgesh
Community Member

Ask your clients how they want their articles delivered.

Sometimes simple solutions are the best ones.  Thank you.

kc_subodh
Community Member

I hope this helps

If You are writing a blog you should not worry about H1 tag or anything. 
I mean this will be handled when the blog is uploaded to the server and I dont think you doing that yet.

So when the clients ask for SEO optimized blog, he simply means to use keywords in your article.

and the client should know what keywords he is looking for , if now use ubersuggest.

I have installed keywords everywhere plugin in browser. Watch youtube on how to do that, it will help.

So the idea of seo is

use keywords in title.
 use keywords in the body often.
and also try to have an external link in your article , like a citation but with hyperlink. (google how to add hyperlink in word)

Hope it helps 

It does help.  Thank you for the explanations.  It makes better sense to me now.

tlbp
Community Member

H1 and H2 still signal the significance of the words included in each one to Google. So, yes, they are formatting tools, but also SEO signals. As a content creator, OP, you should understand the basics of 'writing for SEO.' However, you don't need to research too deeply. You should only need to enter HTML codes if you are asked to load the content onto a client's site. 

Focus on learning about content writing. Most of the information you gather in this way will incorporate the SEO tips you need to know, such as why we use H1, H2 and H3 for different sections of a blog article. 

Learning to write for your intended audience should be the first skill you gain. Then, you can progress toward gaining expertise in more detailed strategies that will optimize the content for search. 

Tonya P wrote:

H1 and H2 still signal the significance of the words included in each one to Google. So, yes, they are formatting tools, but also SEO signals.

Thanks, Tonya!

It is well documented that Upwork's algorithms are glaringly indiscriminate and unintelligent in selecting and using profile content for matching. That said, there are occasional hints that the words in the tagline that appears under our names may be weighted for search. I am glad to learn that there could be an underlying and "off the shelf" logic for this apparent preference.