cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Which format is best for delivering client content?

Highlighted
Robert B Member Since: Aug 17, 2020
1 of 31

Hi everyone,

I've finally landed my first client; I want to really nail this first contract and knock it out of the park. It's a modest task of writing a short 300 word blog post with only one header image, so it's an excellent opportunity to make a strong positive JSS impression.

I wasn't given credentials and I'm not accessing the client's site directly to draft nor to publish--so I wonder--should I construct the post in (my own) WordPress editor, or is it just as well if I use Microsoft Word or OneNote and export the completed post? How can I provide the smoothest experience for my client when I deliver the completed article? 

Thanks in advance! (:

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 31

Obviously you'd ask the client what suits them best?

Highlighted
3 of 31

Nonsense, it seems too intuitive to do it that way. Does anybody have any more contrived advice? /s

Forgive me,

I just thought somebody who has completed a contract already could offer some insight, tips, past experience etc. hence why I came to the community forum and asked a simple question. to no avail

BUT  I'm already finished writing it and I'll be sure to ask the client how they would like it formatted. Thanks for the advice.

Deuces.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 31

Robert wrote:

Nonsense

Huh?

Robert B wrote:

Forgive me,

I just thought somebody who has completed a contract already could offer some insight,

I've completed over 300 on Upwork 

The only answer that makes any sense is to ask the client what they prefer.

Robert wrote:

I'll be sure to ask the client how they would like it formatted.

Good. Glad you're taking my advice and you're very welcome.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
5 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Robert wrote:

Nonsense

Huh?

That whole response was bewildering.

Highlighted
6 of 31

That whole response was sarcastic. Didn't mean to bewilder you, my guy.

I should have been clearer; I know exporting different file types often impacts the formatting of the typography/images. I was just wondering what kinds of experience others might have had building content in one place and then transferring it to a client who intends to post it through WordPress.

I thought this place was for asking for and giving help--not for elitist Upworkers to stroke each others' egos. Guess I'll just learn by experience, the way ya'll wise Gurus did.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
7 of 31

Robert B wrote:

That whole response was sarcastic. Didn't mean to bewilder you, my guy.

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I prefer my sarcasm to be clearer and funnier. Self-deprecating is nice too.

I should have been clearer; I know exporting different file types often impacts the formatting of the typography/images. I was just wondering what kinds of experience others might have had building content in one place and then transferring it to a client who intends to post it through WordPress.

I thought this place was for asking for and giving help--not for elitist Upworkers to stroke each others' egos. Guess I'll just learn by experience, the way ya'll wise Gurus did.

So here is the thing, you are a writer and when something you wrote is misunderstood by the reader you blame the reader? You aren't Humpty Dumpty, you can't just throw around a word salad and expect people to understand what you want.

You did a p-poor job of asking for help, you did an even lousier job of accepting it. 

The answer she gave is spot on, I still don't know if you understand it because again you insist on using all the words. 

Highlighted
8 of 31

I app-ppreciate your ins-sight now g-good day sir.

Highlighted
9 of 31

I know. Actually, Petra, I've seen Upwork memes about you before I ever posted here. That was kind of my point--that someone with all that XP could provide more valuable perspective than "ask the client" but okay. It's my first contract. Average value not much under $30.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 31

Robert, I'm trying to figure out just why you are so hostile.

The answer to your question is to ask the client. Simples.

I have no idea what you actually expected. There is no "more valuable perspective" - it's a no-brainer. You ask the client what they prefer. Doh.

It's like me posting "A client sent me an Italian document. I could translate it into German or English. What do you think would be best?"

You could also have asled your question with a bit more detail and nuance.