cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which format is best for delivering client content?

Highlighted
Robert B Member Since: Aug 17, 2020
11 of 31

Not hostile, just confounded. Simply put: even if the question was stupid, I've seen forums where the 'Gurus' are polite and informative through-and-through. Even to the most asinine queries, they try to consider the perspective of the person asking and what other indescript meaning they might have intended, if any. I'm not saying you ought to try to answer questions I didn't ask, I'm just trying to understand why this feels more like the early NB4 stage posts of a 4Chan page, in that I'm getting terse responses bordering on sarcasm rather than well-thought-out, thorough, actually helpful content.

In any case, I'm just keeping the banter going; I'm not upset at all and certainly not hostile. I will say, however,that if I had been doing this for nearly a decade and somebody asked the same question, I would understand that, considering it is ther first contract, maybe they wanted some perspective from the community, instead of potentially asking the client something that the client may assume they should 'already know'. (Remember, first contract)

The goof-up I made was assuming that the community was 'n00b-friendly' and that silly beginner questions wouldn't be mocked. If this is at all like the translation metaphor you used, it is in that most translators would guess that the client would have told them in the first place which language they wanted--and if they didn't--were they supposed to know already which?

By the way, I lost the game.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
12 of 31

Good grief.

It wasn't a stupid question, it was one with a bad default assumption that she tried to correct.  Even by saying obviously she was hinting at it is much simpler than you are trying to make it.

I can't make you a pizza for you until you tell me what you want on it.  I can make a pizza for me and you can either eat it or starve but that isn't the same thing is it?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
13 of 31

Mark F wrote:

Good grief.

It wasn't a stupid question, it was one with a bad default assumption that she tried to correct.  Even by saying obviously she was hinting at it is much simpler than you are trying to make it.

I can't make you a pizza for you until you tell me what you want on it.  I can make a pizza for me and you can either eat it or starve but that isn't the same thing is it?

And now he accepted this a a solution.  So odd.  This is probably one of the weirdest encounters yet.  I almost feel like it's a setup for someone to write an article somewhere about how nasty the "gurus" are.  

Highlighted
14 of 31

And now he accepted this a a solution.  So odd.  This is probably one of the weirdest encounters yet.  I almost feel like it's a setup for someone to write an article somewhere about how nasty the "gurus" are.  

No setup here, friends. Just got to get back to work. I wish you both good health and thanks again for the advice.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
15 of 31

Robert B wrote:

Not hostile, just confounded. Simply put: even if the question was stupid, I've seen forums where the 'Gurus' are polite and informative through-and-through. Even to the most asinine queries, they try to consider the perspective of the person asking and what other indescript meaning they might have intended, if any. I'm not saying you ought to try to answer questions I didn't ask, I'm just trying to understand why this feels more like the early NB4 stage posts of a 4Chan page, in that I'm getting terse responses bordering on sarcasm rather than well-thought-out, thorough, actually helpful content.

In any case, I'm just keeping the banter going; I'm not upset at all and certainly not hostile. I will say, however,that if I had been doing this for nearly a decade and somebody asked the same question, I would understand that, considering it is ther first contract, maybe they wanted some perspective from the community, instead of potentially asking the client something that the client may assume they should 'already know'. (Remember, first contract)

The goof-up I made was assuming that the community was 'n00b-friendly' and that silly beginner questions wouldn't be mocked. If this is at all like the translation metaphor you used, it is in that most translators would guess that the client would have told them in the first place which language they wanted--and if they didn't--were they supposed to know already which?

By the way, I lost the game.

No one mocked you. The answer to 50% of the questions on this forum is "ask the client"  or  "did you talk to the client."  And nearly 99% of the time the freelancer has not talked to the client. 

Highlighted
16 of 31

You could also have asled your question with a bit more detail and nuance.

Yes, I could have, and should have done that. Thank you for your help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 31

Not posting here while drunk did wonders in my case. I wish everybody would do that.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
18 of 31

Completely sober, just unconventional. I didn't think everyone on Upwork would be so UPtight. haha

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 31

Robert B wrote:

Completely sober, just unconventional. I didn't think everyone on Upwork would be so UPtight. haha

We're really, REALLY not.  We're generally really nice if people don't start throwing hissy fits right away for no reason. Maybe try again without responding to a simple answer with "Nonsense"?

And I actually DO have a client who sends me texts and regularly forgets to tell me what language they'd like back.

It goes like this:

Client: Hiya, do you have time to translate this for me? It's a bit urgent.

Me: Sure, no problem, looks straightforward enough. What language would you like it in?

Client: Oh, just keep it upbeat and informal, it's a young brand.

Me: Yes dear. But it would help if I knew if you want English or German Smiley Wink

Client: Oh, LOL... yes, I guess it would. I keep doing that. Can you do German please? I should have said. They will want it in English at a later date though.

(The above is an actual, verbatim conversation...)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
20 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Robert B wrote:

We're really, REALLY not.  We're generally really nice if people don't start throwing hissy fits right away for no reason. Maybe try again without responding to a simple answer with "Nonsense"?

And I actually DO have a client who sends me texts and regularly forgets to tell me what language they'd like back.

It goes like this:

Client: Hiya, do you have time to translate this for me? It's a bit urgent.

Me: Sure, no problem, looks straightforward enough. What language would you like it in?

Client: Oh, just keep it upbeat and informal, it's a young brand.

Me: Yes dear. But it would help if I knew if you want English or German Smiley Wink

Client: Oh, LOL... yes, I guess it would. I keep doing that. Can you do German please? I should have said. They will want it in English at a later date though.

(The above is an actual, verbatim conversation...)

Wait, so first Petra's  informal remark "did you ask the client" is  too informal, and now everyone is too uptight? You overreacted, man. Just admit it. I think you also came in looking for a fight, considering you mention memes and crap that are  usually posted by freelancers who are failing and mad at those who have learned how to be successful. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS