cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which format is best for delivering client content?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
21 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Robert B wrote:

Completely sober, just unconventional. I didn't think everyone on Upwork would be so UPtight. haha

Speak for yourself, I am wound so tight I should be producing coal.  I can see now why ever response was devastating funny and I just failed to miss it in my stoicism.

Wait, am I stroking your ego or are you stroking mine?  I can't tell.  

Oh well, maybe I will go off and create a meme about you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
22 of 31

Mark F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Robert B wrote:

Completely sober, just unconventional. I didn't think everyone on Upwork would be so UPtight. haha

Speak for yourself, I am wound so tight I should be producing coal.  I can see now why ever response was devastating funny and I just failed to miss it in my stoicism.

Wait, am I stroking your ego or are you stroking mine?  I can't tell.  

Oh well, maybe I will go off and create a meme about you.

You know you've made it when you have a troll and/or a meme about you. 

Highlighted
Robert B Member Since: Aug 17, 2020
23 of 31

It's difficult to get the exact intended impression of somebody through the screen--I get that--but I really couldn't imagine how I could be construed as "looking for a fight". My first response shouldn't have even been taken so seriously, hence nonsense and the big /s for sarcasm. It was literally a "Doh" moment when Petra first replied, and my response was reflective of that.

I would love to see a meme of myself successfully make rounds on the internet. I could use a laugh--and the publicity (I'm broke). I also didn't say/suggest that they were negative in nature--the few I've stumbled upon on Reddit are ironic conspiracies, often suggesting she's an undercover Upwork corporate official, or some jive of that nature. No trolls or haters of sorts.

Is everybody done picking on me now? /s

Highlighted
Alice G Member Since: Jul 25, 2020
24 of 31

Maybe fix the errors in your profile before attacking those trying to help you...

Highlighted
25 of 31

Alice G wrote:

Maybe fix the errors in your profile before attacking those trying to help you...

I'm all ears; let's hear those errors.

Highlighted
26 of 31

Oh. Those errors.

Thank you for pointing that out! (:

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
27 of 31

@rocobo wrote:

Oh. Those errors.

Thank you for pointing that out! (:

Robert, I think you may have wandered into Upwork without fully understanding what Upwork is about.

I'm not sure why you posted in the forum, but if you feel your expertise is way beyond anyone who has given you solid advice on this thread, then you must find your own way and stop these rather absurd comments. 

You may or may not know that anyone and everyone (including clients) on and off Upwork can read these posts as they are in  the public domain. So you should try to rein in your agressivity, which does little to endear you to either your peers or your potential clients - and will certainly give Upwork food for thought. 

Highlighted
28 of 31

Nichola, I understand I may come off as a bit unbridled at times, but it's clear my tone has been grievously misunderstood. Yes, you could say I don't fully understand Upwork, and I made the mistake of being myself--odd quips and all, but I certainly don't consider myself above anyone here, and despite my playfulness (which is really all it was) I am grateful for everyone's input and I expressed that already.

I took criticism and advise, and I was genuinely happy to receive it. If my comments seemed absurd, it's because they're misunderstood, not rude or implied to be inappropriate. I was lighthearted in my dialogues here and it seems the consensus was that I was hostile and/or absurd, so everyone, you have my apologies, as well as my gratitude for the insight.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 31

Robert B wrote:

Alice G wrote:

I'm all ears; let's hear those errors.

Your profile is all over the place. It's poorly formatted for starters, as well as not really a profile overview at all for the purposes of Upwork. You don't put your name in your overview. Clients can see your name. Your age is irrelevant and the stuff about your middle name is irrelevant and just wastes space again. Clients can only see the first 2 lines of your overview in a list of freelancers, and all they see about you is your name, age and some meaningless stuff about your middle name. Oh and treehugging. And funny formatting. THIS is all they see:

2 lines.png

The entire overview is all about you. Nothing tells a client why hiring you brings any value for THEM or what hiring you brings to the table. So many words, so little said.

Clients don't care if you are a treehugger or like science or what you have a passion for. Clients don't care about your plans for your mother or your kids or what your father said to you. Or what (unrelated) stuff you plan to do in the years to come.

Barely 3 and a half lines of your profile are even remotely relevant.

It's a freelancing profile, not a dating-site one.

You want to scrap your overview and start from scratch. Concentrate on a client-centric approach, your unique selling point, what value hiring you will bring to the client and what you can do for them. 

Where is your employment history?

Your only portfolio item has nothing to do with what you are offering, so it's irrelevant.

Add portfolio items that show your best examples of the kind of work you want to get hired for.

Fix the formatting.

Highlighted
30 of 31

Petra R wrote:

Your profile is all over the place. It's poorly formatted for starters, as well as not really a profile overview at all for the purposes of Upwork. You don't put your name in your overview. Clients can see your name. Your age is irrelevant and the stuff about your middle name is irrelevant and just wastes space again. Clients can only see the first 2 lines of your overview in a list of freelancers, and all they see about you is your name, age and some meaningless stuff about your middle name. Oh and treehugging. And funny formatting. THIS is all they see:

2 lines.png

The entire overview is all about you. Nothing tells a client why hiring you brings any value for THEM or what hiring you brings to the table. So many words, so little said.

Clients don't care if you are a treehugger or like science or what you have a passion for. Clients don't care about your plans for your mother or your kids or what your father said to you. Or what (unrelated) stuff you plan to do in the years to come.

Barely 3 and a half lines of your profile are even remotely relevant.

It's a freelancing profile, not a dating-site one.

You want to scrap your overview and start from scratch. Concentrate on a client-centric approach, your unique selling point, what value hiring you will bring to the client and what you can do for them. 

Where is your employment history?

Your only portfolio item has nothing to do with what you are offering, so it's irrelevant.

Add portfolio items that show your best examples of the kind of work you want to get hired for.

Fix the formatting.

Thank you. That's some constructive criticism I needed to hear. I don't reach out often to ask for advice on this kind of stuff and I admit I need to work on my approach. I'm going to scrap it and try something new. Thanks again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS