🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Which specialization does LaTeX typesetti...
Page options
06cbde5e
Community Member

Which specialization does LaTeX typesetting fall under?

Hello there, I got recently accepted a few days ago in Upwork and I feel optimistic about the platform. Currently, I am skilled in LaTeX typesetting, SQL development, and some MS Office products such as Excel, Word, and Access. While I am sure that SQL, Excel, and Access fall under database administration specialization, I am not sure under what specialization will I put LaTeX typesetting. My skill for typesetting focuses mainly on academic journals and publications, as well as making presentations and course books. Please help me in this regard since I cannot mix this up with my general profile. Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark Anthony B wrote:

I actually cannot find specialization titled 'Academic' or anything close to it.

"Academic" would not be a top-level skill, but would be under Writing, Editing, and the like. Typesetting is logically a publishing/production skill, or arguably an editing function; I seem to recall other typesetters not being able to find their skill listed.

As an editor, I have very limited experience with LaTeX; my few clients who use it (economists, mostly) seem to do their own typesetting. That's admittedly not much of a sample to generalize from; the point is that working in a related field I haven't seen much of a market here for your niche.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
colettelewis
Community Member

Mark Anthony B wrote:

Hello there, I got recently accepted a few days ago in Upwork and I feel optimistic about the platform. Currently, I am skilled in LaTeX typesetting, SQL development, and some MS Office products such as Excel, Word, and Access. While I am sure that SQL, Excel, and Access fall under database administration specialization, I am not sure under what specialization will I put LaTeX typesetting. My skill for typesetting focuses mainly on academic journals and publications, as well as making presentations and course books. Please help me in this regard since I cannot mix this up with my general profile. Thanks.

Perhaps you should put it under "Academic"? But I hope someone else jumps in with their advice.  It looks good in your profile, but I think you could emphasize the academic side of it a bit more. It's a useful skill. Maybe add this sentence that you have in your post: "My skill for typesetting focuses mainly on academic journals and publications, as well as making presentations and course books."

Also, put your profile in the first person not the third, it looks better. 

(You have quite a serious typo in your  certification section for the Udemy "Bootcamp". It should read: "Zero to Hero" not vice-versa.) 

Oh my! About that Udemy certificate, I didn't see that very carefully! I have been wondering how many clients had a good laugh seeing that! Thanks for your advice! Let me update it right away!

I actually cannot find a specialization titled 'Academic' or anything close to it.

Mark Anthony B wrote:

I actually cannot find specialization titled 'Academic' or anything close to it.

"Academic" would not be a top-level skill, but would be under Writing, Editing, and the like. Typesetting is logically a publishing/production skill, or arguably an editing function; I seem to recall other typesetters not being able to find their skill listed.

As an editor, I have very limited experience with LaTeX; my few clients who use it (economists, mostly) seem to do their own typesetting. That's admittedly not much of a sample to generalize from; the point is that working in a related field I haven't seen much of a market here for your niche.

I agree, clients posting LaTeX typeset-related jobs are rare or uncommon. There are though clients who look for proofreading their thesis papers or manuscripts and a very few who actually want to typeset their documents in LaTeX. I created a specialization profile on Editing and Proofreading as an alternative to meet this end.

Mark Anthony B wrote:

I created a specialization profile on Editing and Proofreading as an alternative to meet this end.

Cool, glad you figured something out. I agree, that's probably the best match to the market here. Best of luck!