cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Who the *BLEEP* is Applying For These Jobs?!

Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
1 of 33

I just saw a request for 52 articles due by next Saturday for $30.  There are 5 -- 10 proposals for this!  Someone will have to work around the clock between now and then on this project alone, and at submission will receive a whopping $24.  I sure hope the client doesn't have the nerve to ask for revisions.  This sort of thing DISGUSTS me!

Community Leader
Attiq A Member Since: Oct 29, 2016
2 of 33

You're right. But there are many freelancers who have been struggling for years but couldn't find a job yet. Therefore, they have no choice but apply for such jobs to get some feedback from the client to build some reputation.

Community Guru
3 of 33

I understand, but agreeing to do these kinds of tasks for virtually no compensation hurts us all, including the one who accepts the job.  Anyone who cannot offer fair pay has no business trying to hire people.  They simply are not qualified to be clients.  If they CAN pay well, but are looking to pick up a desperate contractor for cheap, then they should be ashamed.  And we in the UpWork community of freelancers should band together and refuse to aid them in their insulting practice.

Also, never allow your need for a job and/or feedback to prompt you to demean and devalue yourself.  If you are skilled, then price yourself accordingly.  Underpricing your services too much leaves clients with the impression that our work is not really worth much and that freelancers who charge the going rate are actually price-gouging. Without some kind of uniformity in our pricing, clients have no idea what they should expect to pay, either.

I, too, am fairly new to Upwork, so I set my rates a little below standard.  I believe that is expected of someone starting out.  That does not mean that anyone has the right to think I should GIVE my services away, though.  Feedback and stars to not pay the bills.  Nor do I think they necessarily lead to hordes of potential clients flooding a contractor's inbox with offers for profitable jobs.  Rather, such low bid proposals only encourage more of these types of job postings.  If we want the trolls to go away, then we have to agree to stop feeding them.  

Community Guru
4 of 33

Also, setting your rate too low gives the impression that you are not very good.   There is a reason that the expression, "You get what you pay for" is a thing.  Quality clients will hire contractors who project that they can deliver quality work.  The fee you post on your profile is the first indication they have of your worth.

Let me reiterate; if we want to drive up the clients' offers, we must agree not to work for pennies.  As long as freelancers work for pitiful fees, then we will continue to be offered pitiful fees. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 33

@Melanie M wrote:

Also, setting your rate too low gives the impression that you are not very good.  

tbf, they aren't, so they are valuing themselves just where they should.

The client will just get spun work anyway and it's not likely he cares other than it passing copyscape.

Community Leader
Attiq A Member Since: Oct 29, 2016
6 of 33

I agree because this is an injustice, not only with that freelancer himself but with others too. All freelancer should avoid such practice and stop applying for such insulting kind of clients.

Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 33

@Melanie M wrote:

I understand, but agreeing to do these kinds of tasks for virtually no compensation hurts us all

It doesn't.

Those kind of jobs are always going to exist, mostly because they don't require hard skills, but they're not the same pool of jobs that any self-respecting writer is going to pick up. Just because somebody wants to spam backlinks in a rubbish article isn't going to affect how much I'm paid as a marketing writer, for example. The clients that need my services aren't the ones that go looking for the cheapest labour.

Distance yourself from that kind of work and it'll have no bearing on your success.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
8 of 33

Well...

I think it's "New Upworker" shock syndrome.

After awhile I just scrolled on by the silly posts or exerted my frustration by doing 100 kettlebell swings.

At least I can garner some health benefits while navigating the hot mess of humanity posting, proposing and generally succumbing to the scarcity schema. 

Would I love Upwork to transform into this Uber Professional Behemoth of legitimate client-freelancer connections where industry rates, and not cheap-farmer-wannaprenuer-fauxpublisher rates prevail?!

YES!!

But, Upwork is a microcosmic reflection of a broad marketplace. Could it be different? I imagine so. Do the UW powers wish to be so? At this moment, no. 

Until then, I'll just redirect my writer angst into the kettlebells and deadlifts. 

ETA: Copy-editing (don't mind me...the Editor never sleeps). 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 33

While I wouldn't write 52 articles (or 1 article) for $30, "around the clock" is a bit dramatic, don't you think? The depth and quality of the sort of content that pays at that level should be easily churned out at a rate of 3-4 articles/hour, meaning 1.5-2 regular work days.

Again, far too low a rate for the average American or any experienced professional, but since that would net the freelancer $12/day or more and we have many users who live in countries where the average daily wage is $4, those could be a lucrative couple of days for some people.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 33

Who is writing that many articles per hour?  I want some of what they are taking or drinking!  I guess it's just the perfectionist in me that won't let me do that.

I still think that allowing these kinds of job postings makes UpWork seem less than professional.  What they allow on their site creates an image.  Perhaps there should be a separate "room" on the platform -- a bargain basement, if you will.  These  low ball jobs could be posted there with a mutual understanding between freelancers and clients that the pay will be low, but the clients are aware that the product quality may be sub par, as well.  If a client doesn't mind doing some of his own revising on a job with some defects in it, he may see it as a way to pick up a good deal.  It just looks bad to allow them in with the "general population," I think.

If a client wants expert work, he should expect to pay expert prices.  If a client gets poor quality work from a freelancer, he can give poor feedback.  Too much poor feedback, and a contractor can get sent to the bargain basement to find work.

Just thinking and typing aloud here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS