cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will someone explain what a ghostwriter is?

Shaunda M Member Since: Nov 14, 2016
1 of 15

I'm new to Upworks and have been looking at jobs. I need someone to explain what a ghostwriter is? From the jobs I've read it's not what I thought it was. These people seem to be asking for complete books written and then they put their name on it. Technicallythat's not what ghoswriting is. I'm lost.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 15

That's exactly what ghostwriting is.

So "technically," you were incorrect.

Shaunda M Member Since: Nov 14, 2016
3 of 15

I knew a ghostwriter worked  with getting no credit.  I just thought that one person supplied the info or idea and then the ghoswriter wrote the actual text. I guess I've never heard of someone writing an original book and then simply turning it over to be published.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 15

That's what we here in the ol' Upwork homestead like to call junk writers. Those $50 ebooks are probably good for a laugh. Last year, I had someone come back to me after he hired one of the "US based" farmers that sent it out to the lowest bidder to write. I always knew he farmed, but it gave me an ego boost when I read the outcome of the project.

The farmer used to have that lame "top 1% of writers" at the top of "his" profile. I'll never forget when I said to the guy "I'm really sorry you got caught up with a farmer, but this is my price. I can't go cheaper just because you already paid a poor provider." His response to me was "But this guy is the top 1% of writers. He wouldn't do that." LOL OK, buddy.

If you ever get your hands on one of those $50 ebooks, read it for the lulz.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 15

@Jennifer M wrote:

That's what we here in the ol' Upwork homestead like to call junk writers.

My current Upwork ghostwriting project is paying $6,000. Granted, that's less than I would usually charge for 50,000 words--about half as much--but in this case the client delivered 15 hours of detailed video to draw the content from, so it's less time consuming than a typical book project.

Community Guru
6 of 15

That's about what I get paid for that word count except it's for a lady who does ebooks to audiobooks. We haven't done 50k words yet. We've only done 25k-35k words. Good lord I'm so burnt after those projects, but it's the only time I'm booked solid for 3 weeks and don't have to fill in any gaps. I get to write about programming too, which is probably the only type of writing I truly like to do.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 15

@Jennifer M wrote:

That's about what I get paid for that word count except it's for a lady who does ebooks to audiobooks. We haven't done 50k words yet. We've only done 25k-35k words. Good lord I'm so burnt after those projects, but it's the only time I'm booked solid for 3 weeks and don't have to fill in any gaps. I get to write about programming too, which is probably the only type of writing I truly like to do.

I am the exact opposite of that. Juggling 8-10 clients in a week (which is more normal) burns me out much more than focusing on one thing. If I have nothing competing for my attention, I'm happy as can be stocking up my provisions in the comfy office (as opposed to the one with the desks) and working for as long as I can stay awake.

Community Guru
8 of 15

I'm probably a weirdo but I like to work on different projects every day. I have 1 25 hour per week project, but then I fill in here and there with something different every day.

If the 25 hour a week gig ends, I would really like to have something like 10 regular small contracts a week.

I have 0 focus. If I was 5 (I probably act like it lol), I'd probably get stuffed with ADD pills. lol

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 15

I know people who ghost write using the format you describe, but that is not the full scope of what ghostwriting can be. The term is more expansive than you are envisioning. There are publishing companies that hire writers to do the task you are imaging though. If you feel that is an area you want to investigate, I would see out publishers directly. 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 15

Being a new writer on Upwork:

CHOOSE a genre of writing.

Unless you like to write $1 per 100 words?

Some are fine with that.

Teaching writing/English, grading papers and offering writing/editing services on Upwork are different animals.

How do I know?

I taught writing K-Graduate level. 

Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS