🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Working with Voice Actor Questions
Page options
jwoods141
Community Member

Working with Voice Actor Questions

Hi guys!

I have a few questions about writing a script for voice actors. I have to preface this first by stating that this is something completely new for me, I have never done this before so I am learning. Basically, I am trying to properly cross my T’s.

My question is specifically about formatting. Specifically, how does a voice actors script look?

I want to clarify that I am talking about a voice actor for a cartoon character, not a voice over reading.

I am trying to make sure that when I do hire some voice actors that I do properly convey everything such as tone and context they need for their reading. Basically, everything they need to properly do their lines I am trying to provide them in the correct, formatted way.

This will be a dumb question but here it goes…

When I hand a voice actor a script is it just a regular screen play script copy or is it formatted in a different way specifically for them?

Also, is a voiceover artist considered the same thing as a voice actor for a cartoon character. I know, noob question but I have to ask.

Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kfarnell
Community Member

Am I reading something different? My understanding of the OP is that he is hiring voice actors and wants his script presented in the optimum format. Not writing a script for a client.

The difference between a play script and what you're talking about is that you may want to add timestamps like shown here:  https://www.voicecrafters.com/how-to-format-a-script-for-a-voice-over/

ETA: I think for what you describe 'voice actor' is a better term (but there are blurred lines between voice over artists and actors).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Why not ask your client how he wants the script formatted?

colettelewis
Community Member

Jason,

Script writing is a skill that  has to be learned and experienced. You will find plenty of tips on Google and you will find programs and courses that will help you. But you are also up against a lot of freelancers who have degrees  and years of experience in the field. I would suggest that you either apprentice yourself to an appropriate body to get experience or to take a script-writing course before you offer this as a skill. 

You will find the answers to all your questions on the Internet and through practice. Google (or whatever search engine you use)  is your friend.

I would strongly advise you not to offer this particular skill (or any skill) unless you can confidently deliver it. 

researchediting
Community Member

There are specific script formats for animation, but as I recall they assume you are working in-house and have access to storyboards. As Preston suggested, your client can tell you what they expect.

kfarnell
Community Member

Am I reading something different? My understanding of the OP is that he is hiring voice actors and wants his script presented in the optimum format. Not writing a script for a client.

The difference between a play script and what you're talking about is that you may want to add timestamps like shown here:  https://www.voicecrafters.com/how-to-format-a-script-for-a-voice-over/

ETA: I think for what you describe 'voice actor' is a better term (but there are blurred lines between voice over artists and actors).

You nailed it Kim! Thank you very much. And yes, you was right, actually writing the script was not what I needed help with, it was determining if what I hand to the voice actor is different in formatting then the script itself. Thank you to everyone who responded.