🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Would I classify myself as an "Entry Level" f...
Page options
ivorbundock
Community Member

Would I classify myself as an "Entry Level" freelancer, or "Intermediate".

Most of my long working career has been as a business owner in ERP software consulting and a Sage Business partner, (Sage / Accpac ERP 300). I sold the ERP software, installed if, customised it, trained the users, created training manuals and sold ongoing support. During this time I designed and created a commercial software product and authored two complete software user manuals. Five years ago, I created a personal blogging website which is updated weekly. I have recently decided on a career change to become a "Content writer". With the above in mind, should I be pitching myself at an entry level or Intermediate. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
lysis10
Community Member

I spent two years working with Sage's sales platform. I assume it got curb stomped by Salesforce? 

Possibly. Sage have so many different platforms, that it's difficult to keep up.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ivor:

You are obviously not an "entry level" professional.

If you had spent some time perusing the profiles of Upwork's true "entry level" workers, or hiring some of them, then you would not be asking this question.

Preston H wrote:

Ivor:

You are obviously not an "entry level" professional.

If you had spent some time perusing the profiles of Upwork's true "entry level" workers, or hiring some of them, then you would not be asking this question.

Also, clients who wish to hire "entry level" freelancers are basically looking to pay the lowest rates possible, so you should only describe yourself as such if you're willing to work for $3-5/hour. (And in my experience, even clients who select "intermediate" are actually looking for experts, but at the lowest rates possible.)

Thanks Christine. 

I have never specifically written for reward, hence the reason for my asking the question. 

Thanks Preston.

resultsassoc
Community Member

Ivor,

You can spell ERP, so you're not entry level. You have actual provable real-world experience and ran a business or two with successful interactions with customers. You are far above intermediate. I don't hire content writers, at least not in areas where you are an expert. But, among the world's 50M plus freelancers, you are an expert.

Thanks Bill. Appreciated.