cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Writer - No "official" Work Experience

Megan A Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
1 of 13

Hello! I would like to fill in the work history section on my profile but my experience is not associated with a company. Is it better to leave this blank? I have worked privately as an esl tutor, but apart from that I have only been working on my own writing.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

I think you can put both these things. Put them positively, not apologetically.

3 of 13

Thank you. Yes, I was going to, but there is a space for company name. I thought to put "private" or "self." Not sure. I have really been out of the loop for ten years raising two boys.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 13

I put "Me, Myself, and I" as the company name in my profile for writing experience. LOL

I'm not sure people really look at work history when it comes to writing. The only time it's been relevant is when you work with companies that have popular brands. My experience is that people care more about samples and what they can see when it comes to writing.

Highlighted
5 of 13

Thank you. Yes, I think I'll go with Self.

I recently deleted my wordpress site, which would have been a good sample of my work. I will link to something like that again as soon as I get it together, although I don't see wordpress listed among the links.

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
6 of 13

Personally, I chose to showcase my writing experience through the portfolio - mostly personal writing, with some client-approved showcase works from past projects. For work history, I used all of my work history, whether or not they were writing tasks (none really were). I also made mention of my experience with high school "editor" positions (yearbook and newsletter my senior year). Apparently it's working out OK for me... My contracts could be better, I could have more work, but generally I haven't had issues with lack of "experience".

- Barbara Herrera -
7 of 13

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like the idea of putting a personal writing sample in the portfolio. That's something I can do to start.

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
8 of 13

@Megan A wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like the idea of putting a personal writing sample in the portfolio. That's something I can do to start.

I highly recommend it! Even if you have to B.S. some samples, it's still better than doing spec work for free, because presumably prospective clients won't be able to use it for free. Just make sure you're adequately protecting your work. (I use password-protected, uncopiable PDFs with my name in the watermark. They could still manually re-type the work and use it without your permission, but if you have the PDF saved with your information and the edit date is before the date that they uploaded it, you have some leverage in getting the plagiarized articles removed.) 

- Barbara Herrera -
9 of 13

What about linking to a wordpress site and posting stuff there?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 13

"What about linking to a wordpress site and posting stuff there?"

Provided you have no contact information at all on the Wordpress site.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS