cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Writers and chargebacks

Lloyd W Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
1 of 19

Hello all.  I wanted to ask fellow writers on upwork directly their experiences with chargebacks here.  In the world of freelance, writers are prone to chargebacks because it is easy to do, and hard to prove the work was submitted as per the customers standards.  So its easy to make someone write for you then get money back.  Many customers might feel brave because it might be a onetime thing and they don't care if added to fraud blacklists...etc.

Writers, how is your experience with chargebacks here? 

Are there any protections on upwork for repeat chargeback offenders?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

Chargebacks are a concern. It's never happened to me but I've seen some people say it happened to them. It's one reason I've moved to hourly and I sleep better at night. Plus, I get payment at a set date, so I just like it so much better.

I still do escrow sometimes, but I gotta get a vibe I'm not talking to some creepto shouting numberwang from his mom's basement as she brings him hot pockets. Like those are the losers that'll argue over $50. Some employee with a corporate credit card doesn't care enough to argue over that type of money.

3 of 19

How does the hourly spare one a chargeback vs escrow?  

Is it possible to provide only a portion of the work then ask for payment if they are happy?  Are there any other stratagies?

Thanks!

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 19

Lloyd W wrote:

How does the hourly spare one a chgargeback vs escrow?  

Is it possible to provide only a portion of the work then ask for payment if they are happy?  Are there any other stratagies?

Thanks!

Hourly gives you payment protection. Just read the rules for payment protection and you'll see how it works. You gotta run a tracker on your machine.

If you go escrow, you probably won't do well with only showing half of the work for full payment. You'll probably look like a scammer. Besides, that won't save you from a chargeback anyway.

If you are too afraid of escrow, just go hourly. I do it if I don't get good vibes.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 19

You don't seem to have a freelancer account - you are posting from a client account.

If you don't even have a freelancer account yet then worrying about chargebacks is at best premature.

To end up with a chargeback you would have to first create a freelancer account, then get it approved (98% are rejected) and then earn some money (the majority of the new accounts that do make it it through never earn a single Dollar) and then end up in the very  situation of a chargeback.

Highlighted
6 of 19

@ Jennifer, okay thanks I will look into the hourly more

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 19

Lloyd are you fishing for information to write the definitive ebook on Upwork?

Community Guru
8 of 19

Nichola L wrote:

Lloyd are you fishing for information to write the definitive ebook on Upwork?

ok, I thought maybe I was being my normal cynical self thinking this. I feel better now. lol

9 of 19

No not at all, however I am learning a lot about the community culture in this thread.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
10 of 19

One thing to keep in mind is that a chargeback also returns the copyright to the freelancer.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS