🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Writing Fees (Flat Rate!)
Page options
khemir-nadia
Community Member

Writing Fees (Flat Rate!)

Dear writers amongst you,

I am about to start my first project on upwork.

Since I am new to this, I have no idea about the usual fees that are being asked. Now my potential employer is asking me to give him a rough estimate for a 5500 words Chapter.

I have looked on the internet what are the flat rates, and I have seen that the range is between 0.03$ and 0.3$ per word. 

This gives me a rough estimate of a minimum of 180$ for this project. An therefore I was wondering if asking 200$ would be a fair deal or if it would be way too much/too little.

Please let me know what you think of it!

Looking forward to your help advices as well as your experiences,

Best,

Nadia

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

@Nadia K wrote:

Since I am new to this, I have no idea about the usual fees that are being asked. Now my potential employer is asking me to give him a rough estimate for a 5500 words Chapter.

What language, and what do you charge your off-platform clients to do the kind of writing you are discussing with your prospective client (NOT "employer")?

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Nadia K wrote:

What language, and what do you charge your off-platform clients to do the kind of writing you are discussing with your prospective client (NOT "employer")?

Also, what is the topic and how much research is involved? Can you write the required 5500 words off the top of your head? If so, $200 might be reasonable but if you are going to spend hours researching the topic, it might not be.

tlsanders
Community Member

My most comparable recent project paid about $500 per roughly 4,000-word chapter with all content and research provided by the client in easy-to-incorporate format.

I would have charged $1000 for this. lol But tbf, most of my stuff is technical so I think that comes at a higher price.