🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Writing Samples
Page options
andersstefan
Community Member

Writing Samples

I want to provide samples of the writing I have been doing as a ghost-writer to add to my portfolio. Any suggestions on how to do that

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dataefficacy
Community Member

You can add a link to your wrtings in the cover letter and profile.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
dataefficacy
Community Member

You can add a link to your wrtings in the cover letter and profile.

Hi I am uzma khana I'm waiting article I am good writer I am haad 

colettelewis
Community Member

Stefan A wrote:

I want to provide samples of the writing I have been doing as a ghost-writer to add to my portfolio. Any suggestions on how to do that

I don't think you can unless the person you have written work for gives you permission to do so. If you ghostwrite you give up your rights to your client. 

But you have a great profile, why don't you write something for yourself and upload that? 

ETA: If you are having problems uploading more to your profile, you may have to separate your skills into different profiles (not accounts) Editing and proofreading in one and writing in another, for example. 

researchediting
Community Member

Stefan A wrote:

You can do this with permission of the client, which may or may not be forthcoming. In future, you may want to ask about such use prior to entering a contract, or as part of your personal contract.

Stefan - off the subject but raise your hourly fee!  From what I read of your portfolio you are a writer. As opposed to the many 'writters' freelancing.

You want buyers to take you seriously - at least enough to hire you.  That starts with you placing value on yourself.

Guidelines here:   https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

Seconding Wendy's point. You should be charging triple your posted rate, if not more. You may want to move it up a little at a time since you have some very low-rate jobs showing on your profile, but I'd give it a significant bump right away and then start edging it up every time you get a few jobs at the new rate.

After receiving the same advice from everyone and looking at the editorial freelancers association, I upped it to $25 per hour.  Is there a way to put pay per word? Or is that just something I put in my application letter?

If you want to calculate a per-word price—some clients use them, some never mention them—you'll need to know your own writing pace, which may vary from project to project. EFA's breakdown of reported paces for different writing and editorial tasks may be a starting point for figuring out whether you are keeping up with your competition.

I have a spreadsheet with a set of calculations based on the EFA rates and timing my own work, and can easily offer estimates based on dollars per hour if that's how they hire me, or per word, per page, and so on. I can estimate how long a given manuscript may take (of course a precise estimate requires seeing the manuscript before finalizing a contract) and what my actual hourly earnings are likely to be on a fixed-price contract.

Those are the kinds of calculations that convinced me I was too slow a writer to take on most writing jobs with any expectation of a reasonable return, and that editing was both more fun and more lucrative.

Thanks for the perspective. My writing is fairly fast and I enjoy
research. One thing i find is that the longer the piece, the time to
research and write goes up exponentially. If i take 2 hours to write 750
words it will take more than 4 hours to complete 1500 words.
I also enjoy editing over writing, but if I were to rely on editing only,
I would be making less than I am.

Stefan A wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. My writing is fairly fast and I enjoy
research. One thing i find is that the longer the piece, the time to
research and write goes up exponentially. If i take 2 hours to write 750
words it will take more than 4 hours to complete 1500 words.
I also enjoy editing over writing, but if I were to rely on editing only,
I would be making less than I am.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the clock to se if that comparison is true on a per-hour basis. I was surprised to find myself some time this year getting per-word rates for editing that were once aspirational per-word rates for writing, and netting more per hour for less taxing work.

Thanks. Will do. I like the time tracker feature and use it for every job.

I was pleasantly surprised to observe that the peculiarities of the time tracker—which works best if work segments and "away" time are organized into multiples of 10 minutes—made me much more systematic about taking ergonomic/rest/brain-clearing breaks, which in turn made for more procuctive work time. So, yes, I now often use it on fixed-price jobs.

The way I see it is that I am new to this freelancing business.  So I figured I would start low and work my way up. Also, I've had a hard time figuring out how to charge. So thanks for the link--I will bookmark it.

Part of me also would rather have some work, even if I know the pay is far less than it should be, than have no work at all.  Plus, I'm writing up a storm, which means experience and a portfolio of work (although it's ghostwritten, I can provide the Word Documents as samples). Besides, it's not that hard to find the articles--I've found a few by putting in half a sentence in google search with quote marks around it.

What I wish I understood is the business model that's at work here with the Amazon Affiliates. I want to know am I being entirely ripped off, or is the amount they get just not enough to justify larger pay for their writers? 

And then it would be nice to get some feedback on my writing from someone outside this whole system.  Sometimes I wonder if the words are really that important--if they are just a way to get someone to click on product links.

Thanks.

Whoa, that's a tangle! Let's try to sort it out.

Stefan A wrote:

The way I see it is that I am new to this freelancing business.  So I figured I would start low and work my way up. Also, I've had a hard time figuring out how to charge. So thanks for the link--I will bookmark it.

Virtually all experienced and successful writers say: It don't work that way. Starting cheap is an excellent way to brand yourself as a cheap—i.e., low quality—writer. It's a trap.

Part of me also would rather have some work, even if I know the pay is far less than it should be, than have no work at all.  Plus, I'm writing up a storm, which means experience

So what's to keep you from writing up a storm and getting paid more for it? What's to keep you from writing up a storm on your own time and your own dime, so you have samples to show that actually belong to you, so you don't have to worry about permission? Why are you so attached to underselling yourself?

and a portfolio of work (although it's ghostwritten, I can provide the Word Documents as samples).

Whoa, whoa, whoa! What's format got to do with it? Either you can reproduce (share/"provide") the documents or not. Either you can claim authorship or not. See previous replies. Format and/or how you reproduce your work have nothing to do with anything.

Besides, it's not that hard to find the articles--I've found a few by putting in half a sentence in google search with quote marks around it.

Ditto if you're thinking of pointing prospective clients to your work via Google. How you claim authorhip is not the point. Either the client allows you to do that, or not.

What I wish I understood is the business model that's at work here with the Amazon Affiliates. I want to know am I being entirely ripped off, or is the amount they get just not enough to justify larger pay for their writers?

Amazon = kiss of death. Do not concern yourself with other people's business models, or what affiliate marketers can or cannot get or can or cannot afford. The only question is what business model, including an adequate return on your time and expertise, you can afford—or not afford.

And then it would be nice to get some feedback on my writing from someone outside this whole system.  Sometimes I wonder if the words are really that important--if they are just a way to get someone to click on product links.

Bingo! You may stop wondering. You're welcome. There's an enormous and varied market out there for real writing that does real work in the world if that's what you want to do and you have the chops for it.

Thanks for your email. I understand what you are saying. I think the part
of writing for myself versus writing for someone else at this point is that
I still have the experience and I am getting paid something for it.
But I understand your point. So I don't mind raising my rates. Then the
next step would be finding clients willing to pay that much. And I don't
see a lot of postings where people are willing to pay that much. Am I
missing something?
Thanks again for your help.

Stefan, look at the profiles for those of us who have responded to you.  Check our skills and rates.  We all have work. That should answer your questions.    🙂

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. What you're saying makes sense. Someone gave me a link to a page from a freelancers organization which lists price ranges.  

Eventually I will need to make more money as a freelancer, so I should go ahead and raise my rates.  

The reason I asked about the Amazon business model is I want to know if they can really afford to pay pennies on a word.  

Okay, I raised my fee to $25. I think that's inching toward what the freelancers association suggests.