cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Writing Samples

Stefan A Member Since: Jun 13, 2019
1 of 19

I want to provide samples of the writing I have been doing as a ghost-writer to add to my portfolio. Any suggestions on how to do that

Lokesh S Member Since: Jul 16, 2019
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

You can add a link to your wrtings in the cover letter and profile.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 19

Stefan A wrote:

I want to provide samples of the writing I have been doing as a ghost-writer to add to my portfolio. Any suggestions on how to do that

I don't think you can unless the person you have written work for gives you permission to do so. If you ghostwrite you give up your rights to your client. 

But you have a great profile, why don't you write something for yourself and upload that? 

ETA: If you are having problems uploading more to your profile, you may have to separate your skills into different profiles (not accounts) Editing and proofreading in one and writing in another, for example. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 19

Stefan A wrote:

You can do this with permission of the client, which may or may not be forthcoming. In future, you may want to ask about such use prior to entering a contract, or as part of your personal contract.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 19

Stefan - off the subject but raise your hourly fee!  From what I read of your portfolio you are a writer. As opposed to the many 'writters' freelancing.

You want buyers to take you seriously - at least enough to hire you.  That starts with you placing value on yourself.

Guidelines here:   https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 19

Seconding Wendy's point. You should be charging triple your posted rate, if not more. You may want to move it up a little at a time since you have some very low-rate jobs showing on your profile, but I'd give it a significant bump right away and then start edging it up every time you get a few jobs at the new rate.

7 of 19

After receiving the same advice from everyone and looking at the editorial freelancers association, I upped it to $25 per hour.  Is there a way to put pay per word? Or is that just something I put in my application letter?

Community Guru
8 of 19

If you want to calculate a per-word price—some clients use them, some never mention them—you'll need to know your own writing pace, which may vary from project to project. EFA's breakdown of reported paces for different writing and editorial tasks may be a starting point for figuring out whether you are keeping up with your competition.

I have a spreadsheet with a set of calculations based on the EFA rates and timing my own work, and can easily offer estimates based on dollars per hour if that's how they hire me, or per word, per page, and so on. I can estimate how long a given manuscript may take (of course a precise estimate requires seeing the manuscript before finalizing a contract) and what my actual hourly earnings are likely to be on a fixed-price contract.

Those are the kinds of calculations that convinced me I was too slow a writer to take on most writing jobs with any expectation of a reasonable return, and that editing was both more fun and more lucrative.

9 of 19
Thanks for the perspective. My writing is fairly fast and I enjoy
research. One thing i find is that the longer the piece, the time to
research and write goes up exponentially. If i take 2 hours to write 750
words it will take more than 4 hours to complete 1500 words.
I also enjoy editing over writing, but if I were to rely on editing only,
I would be making less than I am.
Community Guru
10 of 19

Stefan A wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. My writing is fairly fast and I enjoy
research. One thing i find is that the longer the piece, the time to
research and write goes up exponentially. If i take 2 hours to write 750
words it will take more than 4 hours to complete 1500 words.
I also enjoy editing over writing, but if I were to rely on editing only,
I would be making less than I am.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the clock to se if that comparison is true on a per-hour basis. I was surprised to find myself some time this year getting per-word rates for editing that were once aspirational per-word rates for writing, and netting more per hour for less taxing work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS