🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Writing fees
Page options
jjjervey
Community Member

Writing fees

I just joined Upwork. I am a highly experinced healthcare health tech writer--whitepapers, case studies, byliend articles, brochures, blogs. I do whole programs for companies. but my business has gotten slow and I want to keep busy. Although Idon't charge by the word, I typically get aout $1 a word--say 2k for a 2,000 word article. I am NOT wordy and these are specialized topics. I was offerd the first project I bid on--but at a reduced price. I bid $40 hr for blogs (ridiculous for me) and they want to hire me at $25 an hour. I gave them 4 samples on the same topic. Is this the kind of fees you expect on ths site?  I thought I might get about half of what I typically earn if I do superior work.  I lookedat theexisting blogs--there were even gramatical errors in the headlines.

4 REPLIES 4
allergywriter
Community Member

Be particular about the jobs to which you apply

If you want $40 an hour, then only apply to jobs posted by clients willing to pay those rates. Be picky. There are plenty of good clients out there, you just have to learn how to sniff them out.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I will echo the other poster's comment. There are many good clients here looking for genuine professionals. And there are clients looking to pay peanuts. Both are legitimate uses of Upwork.

Keep in mind that many, many good jobs are never made public, but are used only in private invites.

Most of the work I do on Upwork these days is never posted for the general public to bid on. Many high-paying clients work that way.

petra_r
Community Member

@Jeanne P wrote:

I lookedat theexisting blogs--there were even gramatical errors in the headlines.

lol, that is sad but you managed 3 errors in a 14 word sentence, too...

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Jeanne P wrote:

I lookedat theexisting blogs--there were even gramatical errors in the headlines.

lol, that is sad but you managed 3 errors in a 14 word sentence, too...

I wonder what she pays her editor Smiley Wink