Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing time

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 29

I guess it should take what it takes. I start to drag after 1000 words, but I write a lot of stuff off the top of my head so who knows how long if I didn't know the topic at all. I pass up stuff I don't know at all unless it's generalist stuff. I'm too afraid to be totally wrong and mess it up.

I charge 1 hour per 500 words unless it's a new client then I tell them 2 hours for the first 500 to account for research and I don't know if they are going to be a nightmare with revisions. That's for escrow though. With hourly, it doesn't matter.

jerryjames91
Community Leader
Jerry J Member Since: Jul 25, 2016
12 of 29

My actual writing (typing) time is substantially lower compared to the time it takes to compose my thoughts and research the topic at hand. If it's something I'm familiar with, I can get through 2000 words in 70-80 minutes. On the flip side, if I'm dealing with something new - I have been known to take up to 4-5 hours for a 1000-word piece. 

I don't think anyone can point to a specific amount of time you SHOULD take. Varies from project to project. But as we tackle more projects, we do start to get a better handle on estimating how much time a job will take - and quote accordingly.  

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
13 of 29

@Jerry J wrote:

My actual writing (typing) time is substantially lower compared to the time it takes to compose my thoughts and research the topic at hand. If it's something I'm familiar with, I can get through 2000 words in 70-80 minutes. On the flip side, if I'm dealing with something new - I have been known to take up to 4-5 hours for a 1000-word piece. 

I don't think anyone can point to a specific amount of time you SHOULD take. Varies from project to project. But as we tackle more projects, we do start to get a better handle on estimating how much time a job will take - and quote accordingly.  

Pity one can't quote for writer's block.

I have just spent two weeks working on a fluff piece on how to find a good mechanic. Something like this would normally take about an hour or so, but for the past two weeks, I have not been able to construct a coherent sentence, much less put together paragraphs that are not disjointed, contrived, or plain stupid.

However, I did manage a few forum comments in this time, but even that was a struggle.

jerryjames91
Community Leader
Jerry J Member Since: Jul 25, 2016
14 of 29

Yeah Smiley LOL I hate when that happens. Sitting and staring at a blank page while the cursor sneers at you with those condescending blinks....ugh. Even if I do manage to start, it'll be so incoherent that even I can't make head or tail of it 

However, I seem to have found a workable solution. Whenever I feel mentally exhausted, I go to the nearest cafe with my laptop, and give it another go. Working so far Smiley Tongue 

ruth_bowles
Community Guru
Ruth B Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
15 of 29
I think, as you accumulate more experience, you will become more efficient at researching and writing. If a piece is longer than about 300 words, I'll throw together a rough outline, as part of my brainstorming researching process.

I do both hourly and fixed price jobs. I use the memos to annotate when I'm researching, which lines up with the screenshots. I have never had any complaints from clients about this. You can also edit the memos later, if you forget to change the memo note during tracking.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just fixed price jobs. Just make sure you consider your rate per word when bidding on hourly jobs. You don't want to sell yourself short. It was a little awkward for me taking my first hourly job, but I figured it out, and I am equally comfortable taking on both types of jobs.
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 29

@ Reinier,

A huge number of my brain storms come when I'm in the shower.  Hot water, shampoo and brain all seem to be interconnected.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
17 of 29

@Wendy C wrote:

@ Reinier,

A huge number of my brain storms come when I'm in the shower.  Hot water, shampoo and brain all seem to be interconnected.

@ @Wendy,

You are lucky in that way. I have never been able to figure out a silver bullet that can kick start my brain when it dies. The only thing that works for me is to wait until the blockage clears, which can take anything from a few hours to a week or more. This recent episode was unusually long, but fortunately, the whole writer's block thing does not happen very often for me. When it does happen though, I just ride it out until I find I can work again.

heist
Ace Contributor
Neil P Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
18 of 29

It gets much easier when you find your niche.  

If I'm writing about health and fitness I can generate a lot of articles rapidly, due to my own personal experience and knowledge. 

Ask me to write about quantum fluctuations and it would probably take me a week to construct one sentence. 

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
19 of 29

I only write about things that I know, so very little research is needed. When I'm in the mood I write about 1500 words an hour, but when I'm not in the mood...

Today my brain shut down on me after only 300 words. No re-start has worked so far. Smiley Sad

Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
20 of 29

I love writing, but I love researching even more; So I couldn't expect someone to fully pay for the time I use researching. I get carried away because it's something I enjoy doing so much.

There are a few topics I could write about without research, of course, but the topics I'm thinking of are problably not that interesting to most people and I don't imagine someone would be willing to pay for me to write about them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS