🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: ebook samples
Page options
celap-hana
Community Member

ebook samples

I am writing ebooks on Upwork. What should I do when potential clients ask me to send an example of ebook I previously wrote (during our interview)?

I did them for other clients and I don't feel that it is fair to share them with others. 

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Hana C wrote:

I am writing ebooks on Upwork. What should I do when potential clients ask me to send an example of ebook I previously wrote (during our interview)?

I did them for other clients and I don't feel that it is fair to share them with others. 

Assuming that these ebooks are published, and therefore widely available, I don't see a problem with it. 

@Martina P wrote:

@Hana C wrote:

Assuming that these ebooks are published, and therefore widely available, I don't see a problem with it. 

Well, I do. She cannot just share a book she does not own with a third party.

Hana, ask you first client if it is ok if you use the book as reference. If you get a thumbs up, you can share it but NOT WITHOUT permission. What you can do is provide a link to the book so the new client can check the feedback by readers etc.

researchediting
Community Member

Fair, shmair. The relevant terms are permitted/not permitted.

It's a traditional courtesy on the part of publishers to allow portfolio/sample use by actual authors, who under copyright law have by default the "right of paternity." As Jennifer points out, extension of such a courtesy must be made explicit and cannot be assumed; on the other hand, it's not unusual to ask for it.

You might find it easier to have portfolio/sample use as a standard contract clause when you start a job. The client is free to reject it. Having your own contract also opts you out of Upwork's default clause on assignment of rights, which is needlessly onerous.