cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebook samples

Hana C Member Since: Sep 13, 2018
1 of 4

I am writing ebooks on Upwork. What should I do when potential clients ask me to send an example of ebook I previously wrote (during our interview)?

I did them for other clients and I don't feel that it is fair to share them with others. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 4

@Hana C wrote:

I am writing ebooks on Upwork. What should I do when potential clients ask me to send an example of ebook I previously wrote (during our interview)?

I did them for other clients and I don't feel that it is fair to share them with others. 

Assuming that these ebooks are published, and therefore widely available, I don't see a problem with it. 

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
3 of 4

@Martina P wrote:

@Hana C wrote:

Assuming that these ebooks are published, and therefore widely available, I don't see a problem with it. 

Well, I do. She cannot just share a book she does not own with a third party.

Hana, ask you first client if it is ok if you use the book as reference. If you get a thumbs up, you can share it but NOT WITHOUT permission. What you can do is provide a link to the book so the new client can check the feedback by readers etc.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 4

Fair, shmair. The relevant terms are permitted/not permitted.

It's a traditional courtesy on the part of publishers to allow portfolio/sample use by actual authors, who under copyright law have by default the "right of paternity." As Jennifer points out, extension of such a courtesy must be made explicit and cannot be assumed; on the other hand, it's not unusual to ask for it.

You might find it easier to have portfolio/sample use as a standard contract clause when you start a job. The client is free to reject it. Having your own contract also opts you out of Upwork's default clause on assignment of rights, which is needlessly onerous.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS