🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: how to make a profile if i don't have vis...
Page options
ninaboutsikaris
Community Member

how to make a profile if i don't have visual "proof"

Do you have any suggestions on how to make a portfolio if proof of my work is not something that can be published in a visual way online? I.E. Works in progress by writer, random copy for websites that I'm not able to track down? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
reinierb
Community Member

@Nina B wrote:

Do you have any suggestions on how to make a portfolio if proof of my work is not something that can be published in a visual way online? I.E. Works in progress by writer, random copy for websites that I'm not able to track down? Thanks.

You don't have to have only paid work in your portfolio, which incidentally, requires permission from your clients. 

The easiest thing to do is to just knock out a few pieces covering a few different subjects/topics/skills to showcase your abilities and experience. These would belong to you, so you can put them in your portfolio without hassles of any kind. 

researchediting
Community Member

If you are asking how (technically) to publish a document online, your word processor probably has a "print to PDF" option. You would then upload the PDF.

Nope I’m asking how do editors showcase work if that work is not available for them to showcase.

Nina:

You can just write up descriptions of what you have done, and include any kind of illustration or thumbnail that you want to. A portfolio piece can literally be a few paragraphs describing work that you did.

And you can create new pieces specifically for your portolio. You don't need feature only work that you did for pay.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Nina B wrote:

You could do some of Upwork's editing tests. They are not wonderful, but clients like them. You can also ask some of your clients if you can use edits you have made to use in proposals, even if they don't want you to showcase publicly.