🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: lost in translation, or Thursday morning ...
Page options
martina_plaschka
Community Member

lost in translation, or Thursday morning rantings....

morning, fellow freelancers, especially the ones in translation!

Have you ever had a client who presented you with a google translation and wanted you to proofread it? I find it a bit insulting, to say the least...Maybe google translate is good for some languages, but certainly not for English-> German, because of the personal pronouns, etc.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perfect advice from Jennifer:

The HOURLY contract model is the solution to many a problematic contract. As long as the client is willing to pay for my time, I'm on board for fixing whatever ridiculous predicament they got themself into.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jr-translation
Community Member

@Martina P wrote:

morning, fellow freelancers, especially the ones in translation!

Have you ever had a client who presented you with a google translation and wanted you to proofread it? I find it a bit insulting, to say the least...Maybe google translate is good for some languages, but certainly not for English-> German, because of the personal pronouns, etc.

Yes, sometimes they have even paid somebody else for the translation. I always inform the client politly that due the poor quality the translations has to be done again from scratch or they can make it an hourly contract.

Perfect advice from Jennifer:

The HOURLY contract model is the solution to many a problematic contract. As long as the client is willing to pay for my time, I'm on board for fixing whatever ridiculous predicament they got themself into.