Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: low payment

Ace Contributor
Nadine D Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
21 of 51

@Ludy F wrote:

See what's actually behind the rate offered. Take a look at the text requiring translation. Often, it's not as complicated as it seems at first sight. Sometimes there are repeat parts which you only have to translate once anyway, occasionally with minor adjustments. Some jobs require hardly any research, or even none at all, containing vocabulary you are well familiar with. How long does it take you to type 750 words? 15 minutes? 20 perhaps? Add to that 10 minutes to reread it, and you're already done.

In the end you may have produced a 750 word translation for "only" $25, but consider the actual work and time involved: $50/hour. I see that the OP's hourly rate is way lower than that, so instead of always dismissing "cheap jobs", take the time to see what they really are. They're not all as bad as they look. 

While it is certainly true that the time required depends heavily on the source text, it is quite unrealistic (at least for me) to translate 750 words in 20 min without producing any typos. On average, this takes about 90 min, which make the $25 ridiculous.

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
22 of 51

I do both translations and content writing and I have found that translatons pay way less than content work. Both because there are fewer well paid jobs available for translations, and because this takes longer then creating the content myself.

For content I can write for between 0,05 and 0,07 USD per word, depending on what kind of content it is, and still have an hourly rate of at least 50USD, but for translations I would have to charge at least 0,1 USD to get the same hourly rate, and very few clients are willing to pay that.

That's why I'm going to remove translations from my profile, and just focus on content from now on. Translations are just not worth it anymore. 

23 of 51

I think there is a reason behind all these low payments: Ignorance.

Since clients do not know anything about translation and cannot speak the target language either, they have no way to know if the translation has a high quality or not.

They believe that it takes us only 1 or 2 minutes to copy and paste it in Google Translate and then modify some words and give the proper format again. They are unaware of all the process.

You might think that they will get what they paid for, but since they have no idea to know what they got, then they will be just happy to see "weird words and weird characters" on their papers.

This doesn't happen when the target language is their native language. Take my word for it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
24 of 51

1- Some clients tend to dramatically lower the price.

2- Some freelancers (lowballers) don't mind to do a back-breaking job (translation) for next to nothing.

This is damaging clients more than freelancers. A client wants a translation of 4000 words for 20$!

I don't just get it! There is only one obvious thing I can see here, it's that they don't care about quality at all. All they want is to have their work done at few cents! And how the hell does some freelancers accept such "torture"?!

And one more thing, do these clients really check the freelancers' portfolios? I doubt it. I once bid for a translation job and didn't get hired. I checked the portfolio of the freelancer who got hired and.....WHAT? No way! Mistakes here and there in a translated document of about 500 words.

That's alarming!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 51

@Lahcen S wrote:

That's alarming!

What exactly are you alarmed about? The fact that some freelancers make different choices than you do about what is a worthwhile rate? Or that clients who are careless in hiring and prioritize bargain basement rates get the low-quality work they're paying for? 

I'm having difficulty identifying the cause for alarm.

Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
26 of 51

@Tiffany S wrote:

Or that clients who are careless in hiring and prioritize bargain basement rates get the low-quality work they're paying for?

Certainly this.

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
27 of 51

Lahcen --

This is from your profile:

"Proofreading and editing (English, French and Arabic)"

I find THIS "alarming," and would note that you have been advised several times by professional English proofreaders against offering your services as an English-language proofreader.

ETA:

1- Some clients tend to dramatically lower the price [unclear reference].

2- Some freelancers (lowballers) don't mind to do [incorrect use of infinitive verb form] a back-breaking job (translation) for next to nothing.

This is damaging clients more than freelancers. A client wants a translation of 4000 words for 20$ [incorrectly positioned dollar sign]!

I don't just [incorrect adverbial placement] get it! There is only one obvious thing [awkward phrasing] I can see here, [run-on sentence; re-do punctuation -- perhaps choose colon?] it's that they [antecedent unclear] don't care about quality at all. All they want is to have their work done at few cents [non-standard idiom/obvious "foreign" phrasing]! And how the hell does [again, obvious "foreign" phrasing: (1) subject does not agree with verb; (2) English speaker would use a "why" phrase, here] some freelancers accept such [questionable word choice: "such"] "torture" [reason for quotation marks is unclear -- if the word is ill-chosen, then don't use it; if the word is a stand-in for another idea, then make that fact clear; apologizing with quotation marks is poor style]?!

And one more thing, [run-on] do these clients really check the freelancers' portfolios? I doubt it. I once bid for [incorrect preposition] a translation job and didn't get [weak verb: avoid "get/gets/getting/got"] hired. I checked the portfolio of the freelancer who got [weak verb] hired and..... [Why so many dots in this ellipsis? Three dots is the standard.] WHAT? No way! Mistakes here and there in a translated document of about 500 words.

That's alarming!

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
28 of 51

@Janean L wrote:

Lahcen --

This is from your profile:

"Proofreading and editing (English, French and Arabic)"

I find THIS "alarming," and would note that you have been advised several times by professional English proofreaders against offering your services as an English-language proofreader.

ETA:

1- Some clients tend to dramatically lower the price [unclear reference].

2- Some freelancers (lowballers) don't mind to do [incorrect use of infinitive verb form] a back-breaking job (translation) for next to nothing.

This is damaging clients more than freelancers. A client wants a translation of 4000 words for 20$ [incorrectly positioned dollar sign]!

I don't just [incorrect adverbial placement] get it! There is only one obvious thing [awkward phrasing] I can see here, [run-on sentence; re-do punctuation -- perhaps choose colon?] it's that they [antecedent unclear] don't care about quality at all. All they want is to have their work done at few cents [non-standard idiom/obvious "foreign" phrasing]! And how the hell does [again, obvious "foreign" phrasing: (1) subject does not agree with verb; (2) English speaker would use a "why" phrase, here] some freelancers accept such [questionable word choice: "such"] "torture" [reason for quotation marks is unclear -- if the word is ill-chosen, then don't use it; if the word is a stand-in for another idea, then make that fact clear; apologizing with quotation marks is poor style]?!

And one more thing, [run-on] do these clients really check the freelancers' portfolios? I doubt it. I once bid for [incorrect preposition] a translation job and didn't get [weak verb: avoid "get/gets/getting/got"] hired. I checked the portfolio of the freelancer who got [weak verb] hired and..... [Why so many dots in this ellipsis? Three dots is the standard.] WHAT? No way! Mistakes here and there in a translated document of about 500 words.

That's alarming!

If this does not get the message across, nothing will!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
29 of 51

@Lahcen S wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Or that clients who are careless in hiring and prioritize bargain basement rates get the low-quality work they're paying for?

Certainly this.

Why does it alarm you that clients have chosen to purchase low-quality work and so get low-quality work?

Are you alarmed by the fact that people who buy their shoes at Walmart for $9 get shoes that are of lesser quality than those who have them custom made in Italy?

Cory K Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
30 of 51

There are clients who are willing to pay fair rates and clients who are not. Sadly, some of the latter are encouraged to continue doing what they do by freelancers who don't know any better and undercharge for their work. I've just accepted an invitation from one of these people, only to withdraw my proposal a few minutes later: he said he'd like me to do a short sample, and I asked him to confirm that he was happy with the price I quoted him, since it was above the budget he'd put on the job (which I assumed was a placeholder, since it worked out to less than 2¢/word). He told me it was too high.

When I let him know that he shouldn't really be hiring a translator if he can't afford to pay a decent rate, he told me his usual translator works for those absurd prices, but she's on vacation right now. [sigh]

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS