🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: pay rate for transcription
Page options
farrar665
Community Member

pay rate for transcription

Hi, I'm new to upwork and would like to know if someone could suggest a pay rate scale?    I don't want to price too high, but then again, don't want to cheat myself either.   

Thanks

Cathy

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
natacharodriguez
Community Member

You need to first know how long it takes you to do an audio hour of transcription - and it is of course a lot, lot more than an hour of your time. Then factor in how much per hour you are prepared to receive to make it worth your while. Then just do the sums. Don't sell yourself short.

Stephen B

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Transcription-job-s-proper-rate/m-p/6561/highlight/true#...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
natacharodriguez
Community Member

You need to first know how long it takes you to do an audio hour of transcription - and it is of course a lot, lot more than an hour of your time. Then factor in how much per hour you are prepared to receive to make it worth your while. Then just do the sums. Don't sell yourself short.

Stephen B

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Transcription-job-s-proper-rate/m-p/6561/highlight/true#...

vswwsv2
Community Member

So what's a ballpark for someone typing around 95WPM? I wonder what jobs would be best suited for that skill? Transcribing can be so boring, or quality of audio issues.
j_mcanelly
Community Member

I would say that a good test rate to start would be to charge a set amount per audio minute and notate the amount of time it took you to complete the job.

Scour the job postings and track the rates offered. You can also have a look at the rates that others here charge for their services. You can determine the average that you find from these places.

From there, Make your rate. After a few jobs you can determine your efficiency and quality, as well as quality of clients and the work they send to you.

Play around with your numbers. Take a typing test, and set goals each week to increase it. After some time, you'll notice which jobs pay better, what types of clients you really enjoy working with, and what projects you find most delightful to work on.

Keeping spreadsheets has helped me see results!

Good luck

xx

I've been looking at what transcription companies charge, for example Way With Words **Edited for Community Guidelines**

What is interesting is that they take into account:

. turnaround time

. number of voices

. minutes of audio

. extra  (time stamp, full verbatim).

I'm going to try to take all that into account when quoting a price...

amandawojcik81
Community Member

Honestly with transcription you're up against it. It's a flooded market on Upwork and I've noticed since I joined clients are wanting to pay less and less. It used to be you could find something that paid $9 per hour (not per audio hour), now I see post after post where clients are looking for less than $6 per audio hour. Depending on audio quality (some are HORRIFIC!), style requirements and other clients needs an audio hour can take up to 3-4 hours to complete. It's an insult offering such a lowball figure and not wanting to negotiate yet expecting absolute first rate work and often to tight deadlines. I have over 5 years experience and now if I'm lucky I make pocket change. Give it a go but be prepared to have a rough road ahead.

I am a transcriptionist and I get plenty of work for 20 per working hour (not audio hour).  You have to specialize, but I have more clients than I can handle at that rate. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

HI Kathrina B, how does a person like me get jobs on this platform?

Starting, well starting anything is tough, especially with little experience to show off in the transcription field. I am looking for a way to hone my skills even more and I am looking for a mentor or trainer or actual work to do to add to my portfolio. I believe this will boost my odds of getting work on this great platform. 

Hello,

I appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication to honing your transcription
skills. Starting in any field can be challenging, but seeking mentorship or
practical experience is an excellent way to grow. While I may not be able
to offer mentorship directly, I can suggest a few strategies to help you on
your journey:

1. **Online Courses and Resources:** There are many online courses and
resources that can help you improve your transcription skills. Consider
platforms like Coursera, edX, or even YouTube, which offer various
transcription courses.

2. **Transcription Software Practice:** Download and practice with
transcription software to enhance your typing speed and accuracy. Express
Scribe are good options.

3. **Networking:** Join transcription-related forums, groups, or social
media communities where you can connect with experienced transcriptionists
who may be willing to provide guidance.

4. **Volunteer Work:** Look for volunteer transcription opportunities or
internships. Non-profit organizations often require transcription
assistance.

5. **Building Your Portfolio:** As you gain more experience, you can
transcribe content from various sources (e.g., YouTube videos, podcasts, or
public speeches) and create a portfolio to showcase your work.

Remember, persistence and continuous learning are key to success in any
field. Good luck with your transcription journey, and I hope you find the
support and resources you need to excel.

Best regards,

( Name,Fatima ajmal)

---

Feel free to customize this response to suit your style and needs.

I have seen even $5 per audio hour. At least some clients are considerate enough to pay by hourly rate rather than per audio hour. If freelancers would stop taking such a low rate, then perhaps the price would increase in the near future, but I guess everyone is desperate for money now that they would do anything even for just a little amount of money.

seyon777
Community Member

I agree, Miss Jenny, I thnk we should reject that low rate. 

hakeemanwar92m
Community Member

How much should I charge a client for a 7500 word transcription?

I am new any one help
I can't upload a post here
Post upload option not known