cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

precision in translation job searches

beth-raps
Beth R Member Since: Jul 21, 2016
1 of 10

Hi there! The Upwork Help Desk encourages me to submit this as they note they can only be of limited help so far.

Translators typically translate only from one language (the one they grew up speaking) into another (the one they are bilingually fluent in but not quite to the same extent). A few translators grow up in truly bi- and even multi-lingual environments, and I am awed by them--but I'm not one of them.

So ethically, when I go on Upwork, I only seek translation jobs FROM French (my second language) INTO English (my home language). I'm a professional, multiply published translator in this language pair but always into English from French.

The Upwork algorithm doesn't allow me  specify this kind of search, however, no matter what I've tried. I've tried searching on the term "French to English." I've tried that plus asking for jobs to be ordered in order of Relevance. And at the suggestion of the Help Desk, I've tried inserting in the search bar this phrase: "title: French to English" which helped some but still turned up results that were patently English to French, which I ethically won't even consider.

OK--go at it! This is my question, and it's my hope that this little bit of awareness-raising on the ethics of translation will help your search designers realize the importance of the order of the words in the search string!

Beth

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
2 of 10

Also would be nice if the fact that one's skills happen to include "translation" (generally) didn't bring up language pairs completely irrelevant to oneself, such as "Hindustani-to-Mandarin" when one speaks French, English, and a smattering of German and Russian.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 10

I have exactly the same problem, and there is no specific for French to English. I rarely, if ever, get the  appropriate translation pair in my job feed. I have to search in the general translation.

View solution in original post

beth-raps
4 of 10

Whoops! I didn't mean to accept this as a solution, only as a response!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 10

I always go to French>English translation. At this moment, there is one French to English translation out of ten jobs.

If you want to undo the best reply/solution, I think you can edit it out from the "post options" button at the top of that post. Smiley Wink

beth-raps
6 of 10

Nichola, I looked and didn't see it in that dropdown. C'est la vie!

beth-raps
7 of 10

Does that happen even when you search on your language pair? I found it helped to at least include the language pair, although it didn't completely make the problem go away.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 10

@Beth R wrote:

Translators typically translate only from one language (the one they grew up speaking) into another (the one they are bilingually fluent in but not quite to the same extent).

Actually it's the other way around.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
beth-raps
9 of 10

Right! I misspoke! Or mis-wrote Smiley Happy You're so right! That's exactly what I mean, I translate from the language I did NOT grow up speaking into the one I did.

Thank you for pointing this out!

ludy_f
Ace Contributor
Ludy F Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
10 of 10

@Beth R wrote:

I translate from the language I did NOT grow up speaking into the one I did.

That was my intention too when I started upworking. And then my first job here began with an interview request from someone who asked me to translate from Flemish into English. I refused politely, but he insisted. So I shrugged and did the translation job to the best of my ability. He was immensely satisfied and guess how many stars he gave Woman Very Happy

Though I prefer translating into my mother tongue, I do occasionally accept other languages too. Much depends on the difficulty of the text. But what I don't know yet, I learn.

Plus est en vous! Woman Wink

Concerning your question though. Since I feel confident translating English, French or German into Flemish or Dutch, I have three searches saved.

First one's keywords: Flemish, Vlaams, Dutch and Nederlands

Second set of keywords: French and Français

Third set: German and Deutsch.

So I do end up with a lot of jobs which don't suit me, but it's a simple matter of separating the wheat from the chaff. A bit of work, true, but on the other hand, this is how I sometimes grab opportunities which I'd never have had with simply "English to Dutch".