🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: "Experts similar to you.." are actually n...
Page options
minder
Community Member

"Experts similar to you.." are actually not that similar

Hi all,

When I received a second Upwork email irrelevant to my skills and job search keywords, it got me wondering if it works (or rather doesn't work) for the rest of freelancers.

A quick example:

I'm an English-Russian-Ukrainian translator working in Translation section, which also includes Language tutoring apart from Localization (my specialization). So when I got the first email offering to check an English teacher job post it was okay. Not relevant at all but okay.

But when I got an email leading to the post where German native translator was needed, it just got me mad.

What is the purpose of these emails at all?

If Upwork is looking to bring me back to check for more jobs, they can just pull my searches and send a compilation of truly relevant jobs.

Would love to hear how this "feature" works for the rest of you guys and, potentially, attract the attention of product managers behind this email.

Cheers 😉

3 REPLIES 3
jr-translation
Community Member

Olya D wrote:

Hi all,

When I received a second Upwork email irrelevant to my skills and job search keywords, it got me wondering if it works (or rather doesn't work) for the rest of freelancers.

A quick example:

I'm an English-Russian-Ukrainian translator working in Translation section, which also includes Language tutoring apart from Localization (my specialization). So when I got the first email offering to check an English teacher job post it was okay. Not relevant at all but okay.

But when I got an email leading to the post where German native translator was needed, it just got me mad.

What is the purpose of these emails at all?

If Upwork is looking to bring me back to check for more jobs, they can just pull my searches and send a compilation of truly relevant jobs.

Would love to hear how this "feature" works for the rest of you guys and, potentially, attract the attention of product managers behind this email.

Cheers 😉

I constandly get spammed with misguided notifications. Last week included "Arabic Proofreader/Transcreator Expert Needed", "English-Arabic (Modern Standard Arabic) translation", "Designer needed to create Powerpoint presentation", "Content writer" plus irrelevant job posts by previous clients.
I cancelled the email ages ago because they were useless.

The emails I receive from Upwork relating to recommended jobs are accurate.

Occasionally, I do find some recommended job has an “US only” filter or is somewhat outdated.

Other than that, I find the job-related emails form Upwork quite relevant and useful.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Glad to hear there are actually Upworkers who benefit from these emails.

It would be much better if I were one of them, too 🙂