Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relevant skills

mrsayub
Maria I Member Since: May 6, 2017
1 of 8

Hi

I want to start working with Upwork. But I am really confused about a couple of things. I would really appreaciate all the help I can get.

First thing is the relevant skills thing. as services I have chosen translation when I reach skills part of my profile a dropbox opens with different computer programs and I fail to understand which will be helpful with my services of translator.

The other question is regarding the upwork tests. I read on an old forum page where a veteran recommended to take these tests to show one's proficiency. uumm where can I take those tests.?

Thanks in advance

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 8

Maria,

It is really odd, but your picture is not showing in this post (at least, not for me), but it is in your profile. No doubt, this is yet another Upwork glitch.

I'm not sure what you mean by different computer programs in the drop down menus, but for the tests all you need to do is to go to your home page and click on tests in the  drop down from "find work" button. However, I have just looked and there do not seem to be tests for English>Urdu>English translation - and there should be.

But you could do other tests related to English competence etc.

mrsayub
3 of 8

Thank you very much. I have somehow solved the skills thing. 

I never liked tests as a student and I am sure I will not like them even now.

I guess I will take a long time to figure out how this website works and keep posting obvious qus questions..Smiley Sad

SO I will apologize in advance for my obious questions.

Regards

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 8

Maria, nothing on Upwork is obvious! It's a sort of hit or miss Smiley Wink

Anyway, I can now see your pic. So no glitch there. But I do suggest you read all the help pages you can to familiarize yourself with the site. (It is an ongoing learning curve.)

Start here and please don't think I am being patronizing. Things change all the time.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

mrsayub
5 of 8

Not at all. I'm in fact thankful and more than eager to accept all the help I can get  because I feel very shy asking for help.

So thanks a lot and I will surely look at the suggested page.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 8

@Nichola L wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by different computer programs in the drop down menus,

When you create a profile (not sure whether this was always true), you have to select a minimum number of skills from a dropdown. My daughter signed up for Upwork recently, and she had the same problem OP is describing--it was like the dropdown was stuck somehow, and only showing the computer-category skills. She got around it by typing skills in and waiting for the auto-fill, but the drop-down never did work properly.

mrsayub
7 of 8

I am kind of relieved that it was not my own fault or ignorance and someone else also had the same probem. 

I must confess that this problem cost me a couple of months. I would come to my profile tinker with it , lose heart and forget it for a few days and again feel frutrated at my ignorance.

Anyway it's all resolved now.

Thanks for mentioning it otherwise I would have kept on feeling embarressed at my ignorance.

santoraise
Santo R Member Since: May 11, 2017
8 of 8

you can take a test here: https://www.upwork.com/ab/tests/

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS