🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: the client did not pay and ignoring messa...
Page options
sandy128
Community Member

the client did not pay and ignoring messages

hello everyone.I am very new to upwork and this is my first job .it is a fixed price contract and the full amount is $ 225, the client  put $ 25 in escrow  and $ 25 in one milestone, I delivered the whol project  on time before any payment was made and the client told me that he would review the work and reply to me, then he ignored my messages and never responded . What can I do in this case?, can I get the full amount of $ 225 or just the amount in the escrow ? ☹

11 REPLIES 11
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Sandy H wrote:

hello everyone.I am very new to upwork and this is my first job .it is a fixed price contract and the full amount is $ 225, the client  put $ 25 in escrow  and $ 25 in one milestone, I delivered the whol project  on time before any payment was made and the client told me that he would review the work and reply to me, then he ignored my messages and never responded . What can I do in this case?, can I get the full amount of $ 225 or just the amount in the escrow ? ☹

Only what is in escrow. To avoid situations like this in the future, only deliver work that is covered by the respective milestone. 

thank you , i will do in the next times .

Can I make complaint or give them a negative rating  on upwork ?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sandy, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. As a general tip, we always recommend for freelancers to work on a milestone that is commensurate to the amount in escrow. 

I checked your account and it looks like you have submitted work 4-days ago, and the client is yet to review the work you submitted. Your client will have 14-days to review the work submitted on a milestone. Within those 14-days, the client may request some changes. In this case, he still has 10-days left to review it. If your client doesn't get back to you within those, and the 14-day review period has expired, the money in escrow will automatically be paid to your account. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
sandy128
Community Member

Thank you so much  for replying and checking my situation, and the tips are very helpful ,  Iwill wait 10 days and see , and will be really careful in the next times ...

pudingstudio
Community Member

Sandy H wrote:

Never work for an unfunded milestone. Lesson learned.

You will receive the amount which was funded.

When a client I'm working with expects me to send a project (before they have funded a milestone), I send a message stating that I will not be able to do that until a milestone is funded.

After they do, I start with my work.
If they "don't see my message", I will not waste my time.

the problem is that he wanted the work fast in the next morning and i stayed the whole night working on it to deliver it on time , and thought that i will get my money because the payment is verified .

i learned the lesson 

stefanm_94
Community Member

Only what is in escrow. Advice for futured jobs:

Always check is money in Escrow before you accept invitation / proposal.

neenakl
Community Member

Thats so sad, reminded me of my first days of freelancing, had similar experience. If the client dont pay you even after the 14 days of review time, please leave a feedback on his profile, so, other freelancers wont get cheated.

sandy128
Community Member

Thank you for your sympathy , I will do that fo sure .

mbugua_brian
Community Member

Congratulations.
First for landing a job..am new to landing one is quite elusive.
I think your client will pay, perhaps he/she to is waiting for pay.
Just have hope and don't dispair