Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what shall I do with this client?

lucy_pr
Ace Contributor
Lucy P Member Since: Dec 17, 2015
1 of 8

I'd love a bit of help with this one, please. I have a fixed-price contract to write a label for a beauty product. The agreed price was $80 and the contract had two milestones...the first step was to come up with the label text and the second was for any revisions.

As the client didn't have the ingredients to share with me for the product, it was impossible to come up with anything too specific, but as he wanted something I centred the text around the information the client gave me based on what he believed the product did for the skin. I figured I'd use the revision milestone to firm it out a little and mention some of the actual ingredients.

He was fine with my label but said it was a little too generic (which it had to be at this stage--again because I didn't have the information I needed). Anyway, he paid me $30 for the first milestone and said he'd be back to me with an ingredients list when he had it. That was several weeks ago, and despite having made contact I have not heard back from the client. The second milestone for $50 is still in place.

I'm not sure whether to close the job or not. From what I can see, this client has several jobs left hanging. I've seen him online a few times, so I know he is around. I'd just rather not have my JSS score negatively impacted by this and am not sure of the best way to proceed. I've had it pretty easy with my clients thus far on Upwork, so this is a new one for me! 

Sorry for the novel, but I am a writer, after all Smiley Tongue

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 8

I wouldn't do anything about it. One inactive job should have negligible effect on JS. You're at 100% right now so it hasn't had any effect and once one of your other jobs in progress concludes, it should have even less effect. You should also keep in mind there are numerous successful freelancers at Upwork with below 100% JS. I'm at 99% for instance and I turn down numerous invitations because the jobs would take up too much of my time. So don't obsess over maintaining 100% JS. 

3 of 8

Thanks. I am being a bit obsessed---I think it comes from reading the horror stories on the forums Smiley Wink

Re the other jobs, two are ongoing so won't close anytime soon. The other is an hourly contract and the guy says he won't have any work for me for a few weeks. In this case, is it best to ask him to close the contract and reopen it when he's ready? I'm a little wary of having too many open jobs, but with the other two, I at least know that I am definitely going to get more work (I do them on a monthly basis).

Thanks for any insight.

lucy_pr
Ace Contributor
4 of 8

oh, and I forgot I picked up a job yesterday. That should close soon!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

Lucy, have you delivered work on the second milestone?

lucy_pr
Ace Contributor
6 of 8

no, I haven't. I was awaiting further instructions.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 8

Lucy,

Don't close it just yet. I would write (once again) to the client and ask for further instructions. If the client doesn't come back to you, and you have been paid for the first milestone, wait until Upwork eventually releases the funds to your account after 14 days.

If you close the contract, then you should refund the second milestone.

If you leave the funded milestone (as has happened to me), Upwork will eventually contact both you and the client (if memory serves me right) after 90 days and then, unless you agree to it yourself, will automatically return the funds to the client.

As to feedback, if you close the contract yourself,  it could go three ways: The client does not leave feedback. The client leaves negative feedback, or he leaves good feedback, but then you too can leave feedback that reflects your experience with this client.

And yes, your JSS, could get dinged a little.  Smiley Sad

ETA: Once again Upwork is glitchy so I can't see your profile, but if you are top rated, and if you get really negative feedback on this job, you can ask for the feedback to be removed.

lucy_pr
Ace Contributor
8 of 8

Thanks, Nichola. I have the funds from the first milestone...they were released a while ago. I think we are approaching the 90-day mark, so I'll see what happens.

I have a feeling he won't get in touch again--the last two messages were telling me he was going to call, and I sat in both times and waited and it didn't happen. I am sensing he's a bit of a game player. We'll see. I will try once more. Thanks!