🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to Cancel a Contract that’s a Business Sc...
Page options
d2c98f02
Community Member

How to Cancel a Contract that’s a Business Scam

I recently accepted a contract with an account that has hundreds of completed contracts and apparently over $20,000 budget spent on this site. She initially said that it would be to help promote a business by email. After accepting the job I got an email stating that I would need to send her my address, create a Google Directory for a "delivery business" with my address and other information she would send me. For this she would pay me $10. Afterwards, I would get a verification code in the mail in a few days and once it's verified, transfer it to her account. Once that's done, she would send me $40, in total $50 for this. 

This is what business scams do so that once they scam someone, another person's address is traceable. I just reported it but would like to know

1. How to cancel this contract and 

2. Why has Upwork permitted this to happen, this is 100% a scam and you can see in the reviews several people have already done this for her.

**Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Karen,

I checked your account and I can see that you have already ended the contract. You can view the status of the said contract by logging in to your account and going to My Jobs> All Contracts.

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Why has Upwork permitted this to happen, this is 100% a scam and you can see in the reviews several people have already done this for her."

Upwork has no way of screening all clients and job postings to make sure that no scammers or business scams appear on the site.

Upwork is the industry-leading freelance work site. It makes sense that scammers come here more than they come to any other site. Because this is where the people are.

All of us work together to identify scammers and scams, and report them.

Also: When all freelancers follow Upwork ToS and don't participate in scams, the scammers will mostly go away, because it will no longer be profitable for them to come here. Scammers post scams on Upwork primarily due to bad freelancer behavior.

wescowley
Community Member

In addition to ending the contract, I suggest you go back to the original job post, if it still exists, and flag it as inappropriate with the explanation of what happened. If the post isn't still there, you can flag the chat messages where they asked you to do this (gear box on the chat message). 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members