Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager

Update 10/13: Our Boosted Proposals test has ended, for now, so we can study the results and learn. We sincerely appreciate all of the feedback you gave us during this test, and we’re taking time to review our data and plan some improvements with your input in mind. 

We will share more information about our plans for a re-launch of Boosted Proposals. So stay tuned!

 

Open auctions will run their course; however, no new boosts will be available.

Our goal remains to support the best outcomes for Talent and Clients and help you win more. We’re working to make this feature even better as part of that effort!

 



We are testing a new way to help you
make your proposals stand out to clients. We’re dropping the required price of proposals to 1 Connect and allowing talent to bid for a chance to boost their proposal to appear in one of three promoted slots at the top of the client’s proposal manager. With boosting, you can promote yourself to clients by signalling that you are highly interested in their job. You can use your Connects to boost your proposal and increase the chances of being among the first that’s noticed. When clients see “Highly Interested” next to a blue lightning bolt, they’ll know these proposals are from talent who paid to express their interest by investing extra Connects into their proposal.

 

 

How it works 

When you submit a proposal, you can choose to boost it by spending additional Connects — whatever amount you think it’s worth. If you bid high enough relative to the other bidders, we’ll boost your proposal to the top of the stack, so it’s one of the first proposals the client sees.

 

  • Decide. If you really value a job, choose to bid to be eligible to boost your proposal above others. 
  • Bid. Set the number of Connects you’re willing to use to outbid other freelancers. We encourage you to bid the amount you truly think the job is worth.
  • Submit. Your proposal will be boosted to the client if your bid is high enough. If another freelancer bids more than you and your proposal is not boosted, we will refund some of your Connects (if boosting did not result in an engagement with a client). You’ll be notified either way and your proposal will still show up for the client, even if you’re outbid. 
  • The auction will last up to 7 days. It starts when the job is posted, and it is cleared after 7 days, or sooner if the job is closed or a hire has been made. 
  • Using Connects. The value of a job is always up to you, and you never have to worry about wasting Connects if you over or underbid. 

 

  • For example, if a job post allows for 3 boosted proposals, the top 3 bids will win those slots, and the final cost will be set by the lowest of those 3 bids. 

  • So if you spent 7 Connects to boost a proposal, and the lowest of the top 3 bidders spent just 5 — you’re in! Plus, you’ll receive a refund of 2 Connects to match the cost of the lowest qualifying bid.

  • What if you had bid just 3 Connects instead of 5? No worries! Your proposal won’t be boosted, but it will still show up for the client just like a regular proposal, and you’ll be refunded all the additional Connects you spent to boost your proposal.



We know you put a lot of effort into developing quality proposals, especially for projects you’re excited about. That’s one of the reasons we created the option to bid to boost your proposal, so you have an even better chance of being seen by clients for projects you’re really passionate about. We see this as a way to express your level of interest while increasing the odds of being noticed. So, in cases where boosting your proposal results in an engagement with a client, you will be charged - even if you are outbid, since this exposure can often lead to future interactions. An engagement means one or more of the following was done by the client (in other words, the client engaged a freelancer in at least one of these ways): viewed your proposal, messaged you, shortlisted you, sent an offer, and/or archived or declined your proposal. It’s another way to make your Connects work for you!

 

Screenshot from September 8, 2021 9_20 AM.png

 

For more information about boosting your proposals so you’re more likely to land the work you really want, check out our help article.

 

Excited to try this out? We are eager to gather feedback while we’re testing this feature. Let us know your thoughts so we can continue to make the work marketplace even better for you.

592 Comments
dannykhoury
Active Member

Sorry, but this will make a freelancer's job harder... deciding on what to spend more connects on. 👎🏻

Less is more. Less options to decide on please!

 

martina_plaschka
Community Guru

Oh no. I was sort of hoping this idea had disappeared for good after the avalanche of negative feedback. 

So a client will see: This freelancer spent 60 cents because he is so extra-interested. Blue lightning bolt.

(sarcasm warning)

Wow that will look fantastic to a client who just spent 500$ a month for client plus (don't come for me, I didn't look it up). It will look nothing but cheap. It cheapens the freelancer who does it, it cheapens the whole platform. Why and how a client should be impressed by this, I really don't know. 

And just to make it perfectly clear: I only send proposals to jobs I'm really interested in, or passionate about. Sending a proposal is testament to my interest. I don't need no blue lightning to show my interest. 

Again, no, please no, please don't do that. It will look absolutely terrible to the client. 

Finally, not looking forward to the new "I was outbid, why did I not get my connects back" thread. I implore you, can this. Please. Into the can. 

hglewis
Community Leader

OH! Pleeassseee 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

 

Pick Me! Pick Me! Pick Me! Pick Me!

 

I'll up my connects and throw in a vacation for two!

 

Come on!!! What's it gonna take for you to open my proposal?

 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

 

wescowley
Community Guru

So I guess the outcry when this was accidentally turned on wasn't enough to stop this mess. I posted a list of questions then which were not addressed at the time. Can you perhaps address them now? Here are those questions again, slightly updated:

 

I'm still seeing the "2 connects" etc. when I open a job. Is this only being rolled out to certain freelancers for now? 

How are boosted and unboosted proposals separated on the client's view?

What do they need to do to see non-boosted proposals?

Can clients sort proposals on other criteria?

Are clients clearly informed that the boosted proposals are first in line due to payola rather than the match to their needs? (I see the "highly interested" lightning bolt on the proposal screenshot - that doesn't indicate anything about the positioning being paid for).

Are boosted proposals that don't meet the client's stated requirements (location, $ billed, for example) still flagged as not meeting them?

How does this affect proposals submitted through invites?

How are the number of boosted bid slots determined?

Are you going to be implementing other aspects of Fr*r.com's proposal system like highlighted bids and open vs sealed bids?

martina_plaschka
Community Guru

The example works fine with 3 different bids, but what happens when there are 20 bids that used the same number of connects? How will the client see those? 

Once a new bid enters, the featured freelancers will rotate. When the client refreshes the page, he might see a completely different selection. That might be very confusing to the client. 

What happens after 7 days? All bids disappear? Everybody needs to start again? Please clarify. 

The rationale behind this concept must be that the client is looking for the most enthusiastic freelancers, expressed in their willingness to bid. Enthusiastic unfortunately does not necessarily mean most qualified or most professional, as demonstrated daily in the "New to Upwork" section.  

hglewis
Community Leader

Hello Martina!

 


Martina P wrote:

Enthusiastic unfortunately does not necessarily mean most qualified or most professional, as demonstrated daily in the "New to Upwork" section.  


Sadly, it is that group that will fork over the connects.

 

Those of us who've been here a while are not easily persuaded to jump.

 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager

Hi Wes and Martina,

 

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.

Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.

roberty1y
Community Guru

If anyone here is a regular client as well as a freelancer, I'd be interested to know how it looks from that side, and what it might eventually mean for freelancers. Are boosted proposals flagged as such?

aocumen
Moderator

Hi Robert, 


You may check a sample screen grab in this article here or in Val's announcement post, where I merged your post.

versailles
Community Guru

Valeria K wrote:

 

We know you put a lot of effort into developing quality proposals, especially for projects you’re excited about. That’s one of the reasons we created the option


No, it's not. It's not the reason why you came out with this (totally stupid) idea. The true reason is that you want to sell connects. The thing in itself it totally stupid.

 

 

alexpattison
Active Member

Please reconsider! Another poorly thought out idea that makes the platform worse for both clients looking for quality freelancers and the quality freelancers who will now be outbid by less qualified freelancers.

This along with the free connects, available now badge, ect. Downgrade the quality of Upwork for all. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru

Martina P wrote:

Oh no. I was sort of hoping this idea had disappeared for good after the avalanche of negative feedback. 

So a client will see: This freelancer spent 60 cents because he is so extra-interested. Blue lightning bolt.

(sarcasm warning)

Wow that will look fantastic to a client who just spent 500$ a month for client plus (don't come for me, I didn't look it up). It will look nothing but cheap. It cheapens the freelancer who does it, it cheapens the whole platform. Why and how a client should be impressed by this, I really don't know. 

And just to make it perfectly clear: I only send proposals to jobs I'm really interested in, or passionate about. Sending a proposal is testament to my interest. I don't need no blue lightning to show my interest. 

Again, no, please no, please don't do that. It will look absolutely terrible to the client. 

Finally, not looking forward to the new "I was outbid, why did I not get my connects back" thread. I implore you, can this. Please. Into the can. 


This right here: I only send proposals to jobs I'm really interested in, or passionate about. Sending a proposal is testament to my interest. I don't need no blue lightning to show my interest. 

 

I can't wait to hear what clients have to say about this. I'm afraid too many, after experiencing it, will simply leave instead of sticking around long enough to offer feedback about it.

 

claudiacezy
Community Guru

Martina P wrote:

Enthusiastic unfortunately does not necessarily mean most qualified or most professional, as demonstrated daily in the "New to Upwork" section.  


This kind of feature was available on Elance. As far as I remember you needed to upgrade your membership in order to highlight your proposal, and it cost additional connects. As far as I remember most of those boosting their proposal were freelancers that already had jobs completed succesfully on their profile (you could see the profile of those who submitted a proposal).


There are limited free connects every month, more connects --- more money to spend. Not every single newbie on site will afford to boost the proposal.


It mostly increases competition between already established freelancers. Someone new to the site maybe will try to boost the proposal with 3 connects, maybe 6 if they are about to throw the towel. Depending on the job post prospect I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 20-50 connects bids.

amt17
Community Guru

This is not an advantage to neither freelancer nor client but exclusively about Upwork implementing another useless microtransaction scheme that imitates the “play-to-win” concept from free-to-play computer games (without Upwork being anywhere near to free-to-play!) and it is difficult, if not impossible, to take this kind of moneymaking stunt seriously as anything but a moneymaking stunt.

 

Upwork is becoming less and less transparent in how it charges its freelancers as we have to add up subscription, commission (“service fee”), VAT of commission, connects to submit proposals, connects to boost proposals, connects to state availability – and I am confident that Upwork will continue finding other microtransactions for equally ridiculous gimmicks.

 

If freelancers who may not have much luck in writing winning proposals pay their way to the top of the pile, it is a disservice to both the clients and the well qualified freelancers. It draws attention to potentially useless proposals which will waste time for clients and freelancers alike and reflect poorly on the platform as a whole.

 

If Upwork wants additional revenue streams, then by all means implement things that add value to the platform, elevates it, and makes it a more attractive marketplace for more serious (and better paying) clients and more professional freelancers. But please do spare us for further ridiculous microtransactions that only benefit Upwork.

efc5e71c
Active Member
This is idiocy, pure, unadulterated idiocy.
hglewis
Community Leader

Hello Annette!

 


Annette E wrote:

This is not an advantage to neither freelancer nor client but exclusively about Upwork implementing another useless microtransaction scheme that imitates the “play-to-win” concept from free-to-play computer games (without Upwork being anywhere near to free-to-play!) and it is difficult, if not impossible, to take this kind of moneymaking stunt seriously as anything but a moneymaking stunt.


I went back and reread the original post and didn't see it at first.  

 

  • Submit. Your proposal will be boosted to the client if your bid is high enough. If another freelancer bids more than you and your proposal is not boosted, 👉we will refund some of your Connects👈 (if boosting did not result in an engagement with a client). You’ll be notified either way and your proposal will still show up for the client, even if you’re outbid.

 Annette, you nailed it! 

 

moonraker
Community Guru

Claudia Z wrote:

Depending on the job post prospect I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 20-50 connects bids.

I'm already thinking of spending 20 connects for every job I apply to. And I still don't know if that will be enough. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the decision that only 1 connect will be required to apply to all jobs now. Won't this increase spam bidding and overwhelm clients again? (Yes, it will.) So has Upwork decided that this is magically no longer a problem?

 

And the way that boosted proposals will appear to clients makes me think that I'll never use it. First of all, I imagine that there will be loads of ties, with 20-30 people all "boosting" by 3-6 connects (no more than that), within an hour of a job being posted. So if that's the case, the early bidders will get the top spots, and those usually aren't the most qualified people. If I don't spend all of my time hovering over the jobs feed - which I don't - then I won't stand a chance. And having a little lightening bolt next to your name with an explanation to the client that these people are just super, mega interested in being hired - meh, it sounds desperate, and will mostly be used by the desperate. I predict that the top spots will mostly be rubbish bids, and I think that clients will quickly learn to ignore them, in much the same way that I scroll past the ads at the top of Google searches in order to get to the "real" results.

 

Upwork, if you want to increase revenue from the sale of connects, wouldn't it be better to stop rewarding 10 connects for interviews (now that you've brought in this boosting nonsense, I expect that there will be a frenzy of fake projects so that people can keep their connects topped up)? And/or increase the number of connects required for higher-paying jobs? Or just increase the price of connects, period?

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Valeria K wrote:

..........

Excited to try this out? We are eager to gather feedback while we’re testing this feature. Let us know your thoughts so we can continue to make the work marketplace even better for you.


No, I'm not at all excited about this new mess.
Like others I expected that, with all the opinions we already gave when the experiment came to light "by mistake", this would not take place.
Now, again, Upwork awaits our opinions. Do you really think we've changed our mind?
The only ones who will see it as something wonderful will be freelancers who have no experience and who try to get hired by all possible means. Sorry for them, this is not going to be more than an auction and we will add one more thread with complaints about not being hired and "where are my connects?".
And again, why would an inexperienced freelancer with no work done be above me in the list that the client sees? Just because he has decided to spend a few connects for the customer to believe that he is the most suitable.
Customers were already getting a strange list of "best matches." Now the issue will be even worse.

 

ETA: Have customers been directly informed of what the "blue ray" means? It doesn't help me that they have to hover over it to see what it means. And the text that appears is a bit fuzzy. It should clearly state that the freelancer HAS PAID for his proposal to be the first.
Have you thought about making a list with all the badges and their meaning that can appear in a proposal? If I were a customer, I would need it Smiley Frustrated

moonraker
Community Guru

It's baffling that level of interest is being defined by how many connects you spend. It's going to be relative to what you can afford - not your actual level of interest.

 

For a lot of people, 6 connects will be a big deal but for me it's nothing. I could spend 6 connects on a job that I'm only half interested in (not that I apply for jobs unless I'm 100% interested), and still outbid somebody for whom it's a dream contract. The reverse will happen for me at the top of the ladder. 50 connects will be nothing for some people but something I'd need to be more cautious about, but it won't mean I'm any less interested than they are. 

I've seen people welcoming this because they spend 'a lot' on connects and want to be noticed. I think they're going to be rather disappointed because they're going to become even less visible unless they're spending more than they previously were. 

petra_r
Community Guru

Valeria K wrote:

We are eager to gather feedback while we’re testing this feature. 


I would have thought that if Upwork was that "eager to gather feedback", they'd have taken some of the feedback provided when this was accidentally released into the wild last month on board?

 


Valeria K wrote:

Let us know your thoughts


We did. Yet.... here we are.

wescowley
Community Guru

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wes and Martina,

 

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.


Valeria, thanks for those answers.

 

Following up to see if I have the mechanics right. Is this how it works?

Shortly after the job post goes up, freelancers A, B, and C bid 3, and everyone else bids 1. A, B, and C get boosted. 

Two days later, D comes along and bids 5. One of the first three, let's say C, gets booted from the boosting and D takes their place.

 

Does C get 2 connects back because they're no longer boosted? 

Or do they lose them because they were boosted for a while? 

 

Then, this outbidding and bumping people out of the slots continues until day 7, when the slots are locked and stay that way until the job is closed.

 

Is that how it works?

vladag
Community Manager

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

  • The client opens your proposal

  • The client sends an offer to you

  • The client shortlists your proposal

  • The client messages you

  • The client archives your proposal

  • The client declines your proposal

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru

Jamie F wrote:

For a lot of people, 6 connects will be a big deal but for me it's nothing. I could spend 6 connects on a job that I'm only half interested in (not that I apply for jobs unless I'm 100% interested), and still outbid somebody for whom it's a dream contract. 


I suspect that for many people, 6 connects will be "nothing" - after all, most of the good jobs already cost 6 connects. There'll be loads of people boosting by 6 connects, resulting in ties, so the first people to bid will get the top spots. I'm rarely one of the first to bid (because I'm, like, busy working), so there will be little point in me even attempting to boost my bids. Even though connects are cheap (from my perspective), I can't see myself wanting to spend 20-50 per proposal. So... this isn't for me. I'll leave it for the desperate newbies - good luck to you, you're going to need it.

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Wes C wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wes and Martina,

 

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.


Valeria, thanks for those answers.

 

Following up to see if I have the mechanics right. Is this how it works?

Shortly after the job post goes up, freelancers A, B, and C bid 3, and everyone else bids 1. A, B, and C get boosted. 

Two days later, D comes along and bids 5. One of the first three, let's say C, gets booted from the boosting and D takes their place.

 

Does C get 2 connects back because they're no longer boosted? 

Or do they lose them because they were boosted for a while? 

 

Then, this outbidding and bumping people out of the slots continues until day 7, when the slots are locked and stay that way until the job is closed.

 

Is that how it works?


Well now I see the new thread when a freelancer has bid and is suddenly returned the connects from the bid.
It could be something like: Can't I bid again at work to get back in the top three, please?

Ideas about new posts are allowed as a result of this nonsense.

jr-translation
Community Guru

Vladimir G wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

  • The client opens your proposal

  • The client sends an offer to you

  • The client shortlists your proposal

  • The client messages you

  • The client archives your proposal

  • The client declines your proposal


In other words freelancer "C" will get the refund as long as the client hat not looked at the proposal.

 

As a client, I do not hire the first person but I do look at the proposals. I would find it highly irritating if someone who was top 3 would suddenly disappear from the list.

Will clients know, how many connects where spend by the freelancers?

creatifynetwork
Active Member

I will then encourage everyone to just spend 1 bid on each job, that way we all save our proposals and the system will keep rating like how it rate right now Smiley Very Happy

moonraker
Community Guru

Shreef E wrote:

I will then encourage everyone to just spend 1 bid on each job, that way we all save our proposals and the system will keep rating like how it rate right now Smiley Very Happy


A nash strategy.

If only it were feasible. 

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Jennifer R wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

  • The client opens your proposal

  • The client sends an offer to you

  • The client shortlists your proposal

  • The client messages you

  • The client archives your proposal

  • The client declines your proposal


In other words freelancer "C" will get the refund as long as the client hat not looked at the proposal.

 

As a client, I do not hire the first person but I do look at the proposals. I would find it highly irritating if someone who was top 3 would suddenly disappear from the list.

Will clients know, how many connects where spend by the freelancers?


I think someone commented on it, but now I realize it. For 7 days, could it be that the client is constantly seeing the first three freelancers change?
Have I understood it correctly?

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Shreef E wrote:

I will then encourage everyone to just spend 1 bid on each job, that way we all save our proposals and the system will keep rating like how it rate right now Smiley Very Happy


Best idea award for now, applause.

roberty1y
Community Guru

I hope we can get a few more clients on to this thread to tell Upwork that it's an equally awful idea from their side. It will probably take them a while longer to see what's really going on.

 

I think a simple non-refundable connects idea is best. You spend connects, and you don't get them back, ever. It must be easy for dishonest freelancers to game the "connects refunded for interview" system. Just lie about being uniquely qualified for some jobs (or promise to do them at a fraction of the going rate), and you're pretty sure to get a response at least half the time.

jr-translation
Community Guru

Christine A wrote:

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the decision that only 1 connect will be required to apply to all jobs now. Won't this increase spam bidding and overwhelm clients again? (Yes, it will.) So has Upwork decided that this is magically no longer a problem?

 

And the way that boosted proposals will appear to clients makes me think that I'll never use it. First of all, I imagine that there will be loads of ties, with 20-30 people all "boosting" by 3-6 connects (no more than that), within an hour of a job being posted. So if that's the case, the early bidders will get the top spots, and those usually aren't the most qualified people. If I don't spend all of my time hovering over the jobs feed - which I don't - then I won't stand a chance. And having a little lightening bolt next to your name with an explanation to the client that these people are just super, mega interested in being hired - meh, it sounds desperate, and will mostly be used by the desperate. I predict that the top spots will mostly be rubbish bids, and I think that clients will quickly learn to ignore them, in much the same way that I scroll past the ads at the top of Google searches in order to get to the "real" results.

They should come with a hazard warning.

 

 

Upwork, if you want to increase revenue from the sale of connects, wouldn't it be better to stop rewarding 10 connects for interviews (now that you've brought in this boosting nonsense, I expect that there will be a frenzy of fake projects so that people can keep their connects topped up)? And/or increase the number of connects required for higher-paying jobs? Or just increase the price of connects, period?

I am going to use the first two lines to tell the client to wait with reading my proposal until the lightening bolt has disappeared and then message me to discuss the project. With some luck you get 15 connects and a contract.


 

wescowley
Community Guru

Vladimir G wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

  • The client opens your proposal

  • The client sends an offer to you

  • The client shortlists your proposal

  • The client messages you

  • The client archives your proposal

  • The client declines your proposal


Thanks for the clarification. That "eligible interaction" bit is something that wasn't clear before (or I glazed over it).

 

I see now that what Upwork has really implemented is a way for people to spend connects for a chance to see if the client has looked at their proposal, something we see new freelancers ask for a lot in the forums.

 

Along with a way for clients to be bombarded with at least twice the spam proposals as before because of the 1 connect bids.

 

And a way to make it look to clients like only three people are really interested in their job without making it obvious that those people paid for that flag, while the rest are just bidding for the hell of it.

 

And a way to make it harder/more expensive for new freelancers to get noticed and hired.

 

And a way to clutter clients' screens with the boosted proposals that don't meet the sort order.

 

Was this really thought out, or are we just implementing stuff so the coders have something to do?

wescowley
Community Guru

Jennifer R wrote:

 

As a client, I do not hire the first person but I do look at the proposals. I would find it highly irritating if someone who was top 3 would suddenly disappear from the list.

Will clients know, how many connects where spend by the freelancers?


Yes, exactly - someone who was "highly interested" suddenly isn't. It's sending a message to the client that the freelancer is no longer interested in their job.

2a05aa63
Community Guru

I do like that people get refunded when they don't get to the top and that the top 3 will spend the same amount.

I see that the premise is to slim down the number of freelancers visible to the client. If the client doesn't like the top 3 they will just choose someone else who spent 1 connect.

Compared to the information we got last month, I do see this feature having some positives. It gives freelancers a way to show that they are highly interested in a specific job. And since they have to pay for it, they won't be able to do this on every job.

And no matter how much you spend, it won't guarantee that you will get the job. But the client will at least look at your profile.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru

Maria T wrote:

Wes C wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wes and Martina,

 

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.


Valeria, thanks for those answers.

 

Following up to see if I have the mechanics right. Is this how it works?

Shortly after the job post goes up, freelancers A, B, and C bid 3, and everyone else bids 1. A, B, and C get boosted. 

Two days later, D comes along and bids 5. One of the first three, let's say C, gets booted from the boosting and D takes their place.

 

Does C get 2 connects back because they're no longer boosted? 

Or do they lose them because they were boosted for a while? 

 

Then, this outbidding and bumping people out of the slots continues until day 7, when the slots are locked and stay that way until the job is closed.

 

Is that how it works?


Well now I see the new thread when a freelancer has bid and is suddenly returned the connects from the bid.
It could be something like: Can't I bid again at work to get back in the top three, please?

Ideas about new posts are allowed as a result of this nonsense.


- Why did I only get 2 connects back? The best bid was my friend and I know for a fact that he bid 10 and I bid 5 so where are my 3 connects? Where, oh where are they?

- Can I ask the client to unsee my proposal so that I get my connects back?

- I don't wanna know any more if the client has seen my proposal! In fact, I prefer he doesn't even look at it!

 

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Martina P wrote:

Maria T wrote:

Wes C wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

 

Ideas about new posts are allowed as a result of this nonsense.


- Why did I only get 2 connects back? The best bid was my friend and I know for a fact that he bid 10 and I bid 5 so where are my 3 connects? Where, oh where are they?

- Can I ask the client to unsee my proposal so that I get my connects back?

- I don't wanna know any more if the client has seen my proposal! In fact, I prefer he doesn't even look at it!

 


LOL, I think I'm going to go get some popcorn to be ready.

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Viacheslav K wrote:

I do like that people get refunded when they don't get to the top and that the top 3 will spend the same amount.

I see that the premise is to slim down the number of freelancers visible to the client. If the client doesn't like the top 3 they will just choose someone else who spent 1 connect.

Compared to the information we got last month, I do see this feature having some positives. It gives freelancers a way to show that they are highly interested in a specific job. And since they have to pay for it, they won't be able to do this on every job.

And no matter how much you spend, it won't guarantee that you will get the job. But the client will at least look at your profile.


They are showing the customer in first position 3 feelancers (who do not have to be the same from one minute to another depending on the bids), that they do not have to be even remotely the best option for the job. Does that sound like a good idea to you?
We know that customers have a strange way of receiving best matches. If we add this to that, how difficult will it be for them to see your proposal that fits well with their work and is supported by a good profile?
How long will it take for clients to get fed up with seeing 3 freelancers popping up and disappearing from the top positions?
How long will it take for customers to find another site?

 

Upwork, make free connects and connects returns disappear and everyone has to buy them. This way you will get the earnings for connects that it seems you are looking for.
But not like this, please.

moonraker
Community Guru

Viacheslav K wrote:

I do like that people get refunded when they don't get to the top and that the top 3 will spend the same amount.


I think the refunds possibly make it even worse. What's stopping people from bidding 100 connects if they think they'll get their money back if they're not successful? It'll become an exercise in who is willing and able to buy themselves the biggest bank of connects.


2a05aa63
Community Guru

Maria T wrote:


They are showing the customer in first position 3 feelancers (who do not have to be the same from one minute to another depending on the bids), that they do not have to be even remotely the best option for the job. Does that sound like a good idea to you?
We know that customers have a strange way of receiving best matches. If we add this to that, how difficult will it be for them to see your proposal that fits well with their work and is supported by a good profile?
How long will it take for clients to get fed up with seeing 3 freelancers popping up and disappearing from the top positions?
How long will it take for customers to find another site?

 

Upwork, make free connects and connects returns disappear and everyone has to buy them. This way you will get the earnings for connects that it seems you are looking for.
But not like this, please.


Upwork can't really guess the "best" fit for the project. In 5 years I got only 1 job from Upwork talent specialist.

It was as random before and it is now, it just gives 3 people the option to "show off" if they pay. It's still the client's decision.

Weren't the top freelancers before random too (order of proposal) ? Might be a bit annoying but I don't see it being a big deal.

Out of all the possible ways to do  "boost proposals" features, I think they did a good job. I don't see things changing much. 

Paying with limited resources makes things more variable. I doubt people will spend a lot on connects for all the jobs. The point is to spend more for jobs you are more interested in.

The client doesn't get any benefits from hiring the top freelancers like freelancers do from applying to featured job. That would be unfair. Imagine if they would get a discount or smth. But it's just 3 people that will most likely not be chosen anyway. The profile picture, history and rate do more for hiring than the position in the list of proposals. 

shivafernandes
Ace Contributor

This is just bad.
Clients will get flooded with way more spam proposals because everything is 1 connect. One Interview = 10 more spammy/flood proposals.

Thus objectively forcing everyone to "bid", but how much is enough? Should I be bidding 50 connects every job, because there is somebody with a connect farm down the line?


m_terrazas
Community Guru

Viacheslav K wrote:

Maria T wrote:


They are showing the customer in first position 3 feelancers (who do not have to be the same from one minute to another depending on the bids), that they do not have to be even remotely the best option for the job. Does that sound like a good idea to you?
We know that customers have a strange way of receiving best matches. If we add this to that, how difficult will it be for them to see your proposal that fits well with their work and is supported by a good profile?
How long will it take for clients to get fed up with seeing 3 freelancers popping up and disappearing from the top positions?
How long will it take for customers to find another site?

 

Upwork, make free connects and connects returns disappear and everyone has to buy them. This way you will get the earnings for connects that it seems you are looking for.
But not like this, please.


Upwork can't really guess the "best" fit for the project. In 5 years I got only 1 job from Upwork talent specialist.

It was as random before and it is now, it just gives 3 people the option to "show off" if they pay. It's still the client's decision.

Weren't the top freelancers before random too (order of proposal) ? Might be a bit annoying but I don't see it being a big deal.

Out of all the possible ways to do  "boost proposals" features, I think they did a good job. I don't see things changing much. 

Paying with limited resources makes things more variable. I doubt people will spend a lot on connects for all the jobs. The point is to spend more for jobs you are more interested in.

The client doesn't get any benefits from hiring the top freelancers like freelancers do from applying to featured job. That would be unfair. Imagine if they would get a discount or smth. But it's just 3 people that will most likely not be chosen anyway. The profile picture, history and rate do more for hiring than the position in the list of proposals. 


Then?

2a05aa63
Community Guru

Jamie F wrote:


I think the refunds possibly make it even worse. What's stopping people from bidding 100 connects if they think they'll get their money back if they're not successful? It'll become an exercise in who is willing and able to buy themselves the biggest bank of connects.



There's no guarantee they will get anything back. This tactic just needs 2 more people for it to be useless. As far as I understand, you don't see the highest bid number. 

2a05aa63
Community Guru

Maria T wrote:

The client doesn't get any benefits from hiring the top freelancers like freelancers do from applying to featured job. That would be unfair. Imagine if they would get a discount or smth. But it's just 3 people that will most likely not be chosen anyway. The profile picture, history and rate do more for hiring than the position in the list of proposals. 

Then?


It doesn't matter how much you want the job. It matters how much the client wants to give you the job.

If there's 50+ proposals I see a reason to bid to be in the top. Otherwise it's useless, since the client will look at least 10-20 people. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru

Questions for Upwork - If a freelancer is considered a "best match" for a particular job, and then they also pay to boost their bid, do they get a lightening bolt AND a "best match" next to their names? Or will it just be one or the other?

 

And when you say that unsuccessful bid boosters will get "some" of their connects back, how exactly does that work? Will you be adding a lot more customer service reps to handle all the freelancers who will complain about not getting their connects back every time they're unsucessful? 

 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru

How UW can make more money on connects without torturing clients or devaluing the platform

 

1. Create a meaningful readiness test for new FLs. Continue letting anybody and everybody sign up give each new account 30 free connects. The ones who pass the new readiness test receive an additional 60 free connects.

 

2. No monthly connects and no awards for scoring interviews. Refund connects spent on job posts taken down by UW and those closed by the client without hiring. Otherwise, nada.

 

3. Sell connects for 50 cents each in batches of 10 with a 5% discount if you buy 100 or more (100/$47.50) and 10% if you buy 300 or more (300/$135). 

 

4. Let clients determine how many connects to charge for their own job posts. 

 

renata101
Community Guru

Vladimir G wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

  • The client opens your proposal

  • The client sends an offer to you

  • The client shortlists your proposal

  • The client messages you

  • The client archives your proposal

  • The client declines your proposal


Hi Vlad, 

Is there an option for clients to view the non-boosted results if they want to look at an "unadulterated" applicant list? 

qqsolutions
Community Guru

I appreciate the idea !!

roberty1y
Community Guru

I wonder how many people are reading this, compared to threads posted in the main forum. I think putting it under the Announcements heading will mean not many people see it and get a chance to air their views.

m_terrazas
Community Guru

Robert Y wrote:

I wonder how many people are reading this, compared to threads posted in the main forum. I think putting it under the Announcements heading will mean not many people see it and get a chance to air their views.


You can do something. Create a text explaining the topic and post a thread on "New" and "Clients" and link to this thread Smiley Wink
So we may have more opinions.