🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings
Page options

Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings

lenaellis
Community Member

Starting October 1st, Upwork will begin withholding Tax Deducted at Source, TDS, from payments to freelancers and agencies located in India as part of a new tax law enforced by the Indian government.

As part of our continued efforts to remain compliant with tax laws in India, we are asking that our customers in India provide their Income Tax Identification number in the “Tax Info” section under “Settings”. For purposes of TDS withholding, the Indian government will accept either a Permanent Account Number (PAN) or an Aadhaar number. Please be sure to use the correct format for your PAN or Aadhaar number as defined by the Indian government:

• PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric entry, i.e., A A A A A # # # # A
    # = Numeric   A = Alphabetic 
  • Aadhaar is a 12-digit numeric entry

For those freelancers and agencies that have provided a PAN or an Aadhaar number:

We are required to withhold 0.75% of all your payments, starting with the first dollar you earn as of October 1, 2020, and forward it to the Indian government. The rate is scheduled to increase to 1% on April 1, 2021.

For those freelancers and agencies that have not provided a PAN or an Aadhaar number:

We will be required to withhold 5% of all your Upwork earnings and forward it to the Indian government. You will be able to claim a tax credit or refund from the Indian government should you pay more taxes than required. 

You will need to add a PAN or Aadhaar number in order to keep the withholding tax at .75% of your earnings.  Click here to Add Income Tax Identification.

To learn more about Indian TDS, click here

Let us know if you have any questions.

492 Comments
VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Anshul, Pratik and everyone,

As an update, amendment for transactions made from October - December 2020 was submitted early September and January - March 2021 amendment will be submitted in the coming days. Once the revised information is processed by the India tax office, information will be available to you via TRACE portal and/or revised 16A can be requested from Upwork.

Regarding the September 30th tax deadline, tax filing due date some of you have mentioned, please note that the due date has been extended. Please check the following two articles,

here and here.

dilpreet2012
Community Member

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for providing this necessary information. I appreciate your help.

Thanks again..!!!

d08cfbb4
Community Member

hi ! im new to upwork and just wanted to know if my tax information has been approved

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Sheba,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry, we cannot directly verify your tax information. The system on our end only checks the format and if you've managed to add your PAN number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go. 

Once you add the information to your Upwork account, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If a freelancer's PAN is invalid, their transactions will not be processed by Indian tax authorities. For accounts with an invalid PAN, Upwork may be required to withhold 5% of the transaction amount.

bijujx0a
Community Member

Can you provide the TAN  number upwork ?

This number is reqired to check the TDS in TRACES system.

3be978da
Community Member

I am yet to see it reflected on my account on the TRACES portal. I need to give the TDS certificate to my CA for filing tax returns. I received payments in March and am yet to see the TDS for it!

sukanyapandiaraj
Community Member

Upwork TAN is DELU07765C.

dasdibakar
Community Member
When can we expect the form 16 we are reaching the deadline. Unable to find in traces also. Please help 🙏
3be978da
Community Member

I am yet to see my TDS reflected on the TRACES portal for work/payment I received in March, 2021. My CA needs the TDS certificate for tax filing. Please let me know what I should do here.

getsetgoganesh
Community Member

Hi Team, Has 2020-21 TDS returns by Upwork got filed and it reflects in 26AS?