🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Meet our Community Featured Contributor Liz S...
Page options
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Liz S.

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Liz S.

Lisa FeatCon.jpeg

• What job category do you work in?
    Writing - Content, creative, and UX writing, plus editing and proofreading. I usually work with techy subjects.

• When did you begin using Upwork?
    I signed up in October 2020, then sent my first proposal in January 2021.

• Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
    I moved to Italy in June 2020 with a plan to teach English (online, due to the pandemic). Faced with pay rates that just weren't viable, I began looking at other options. One of those options was Upwork, so I made an account and promptly forgot about it. A couple of months later, I got serious, learned as much as I could about the platform, and dived in. I'll admit I was surprised when I found my first client straight away! Writing has always been a part of my life, and played at least a small role in most of my previous work. I knew I had the language skills that clients wanted, and having run my own business in live music promotion, worked in hospitality forever, and spent years living in unusual places with unusual folk, I knew I also had the people skills that I needed to make it work.

• What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Liz?
    I love the freedom! Working with people from all over the world is inspiring and fun, and being responsible for my own business is an exciting challenge. I also like to work at strange hours, so I appreciate being free to do that. I've always loved computers so working this way suits me fine. Things I don't like? Not much, but I miss the physicality of working in hospitality, and the unexpected things that happen when working face-to-face with humans. I make sure to find time for these things now.

• What was your most successful project/contract?
    Well, I like to think they've all been successful! But the one that made me realise things were going quite well was UX writing for an app in development. It was my biggest job up to that point, involved a lot of research and collaboration, and was just really interesting and rewarding.

• Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
    There's so much great advice already out there! Seek it out. But use your judgement, don't just listen to anyone. New users should definitely spend quite a while trying to understand the platform before getting too involved, but once you've absorbed all you can, you just need to do it. Be confident (NOT overconfident!) in your skills and your ability to provide value. One of the most important things is taking responsibility for your choices and your work, so if you don't have experience with that, you need to spend extra time studying. Running your own business with an employee mindset is dangerous and will likely get you exploited. Finally, keep learning. I've learned so much in this year on Upwork, and I've made lots of mistakes. I look back on some things and cringe so hard! But learning from those mistakes has made me better at what I do, so I'm glad of them.

• Anything else you want to add? You can also share some fun interesting things about you 🙂.
    Fun, interesting things about me? Well, I don't want to incriminate myself, so I'm going to pass on that one. But to shift into cheese mode for a moment, I'll give a big thanks to the people at Upwork for making freelancing accessible. And to the tireless folk on the forums, providing incredible insights every day for no reward!

~ Vladimir
Upwork
17 REPLIES 17
11aab105
Community Member

Very encouraging and empowering recommendations

colettelewis
Community Member

Well done Liz. I have found where to leave a comment - at last! 

lead_abir
Community Member

Nice

sullivanliz
Community Member

Thanks all 🙂

asmat_90
Community Member

Hi! Liz S, I am from Pakistan and I signed up Upwork for freelancing in November 2, 2021 and after 3 months I have got only a little job, where is the issue in my profile review my profile and guide me, please.

Thanks

0afb4bda
Community Member

Thanks for posting!

translatafr
Community Member

👍

5d8eab7c
Community Member

Do you deposit any initial deposit before starting any work or Job? Please urgent reply please

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew, 

It's a good thing that you came here to ask. Please know that this is not allowed. If you haven't already, please report this client by following the steps here. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

~ Avery
Upwork
3f6b2799
Community Member

informative and candid,thanks

asmat_90
Community Member

Hi LizS.
2f9a3920
Community Member

Well done, Liz. Keep making strides. 

2f9a3920
Community Member

How about those clients who ask you to "pleasure them" on another platform?

gloria64
Community Member

Wonderful and greatly insightful. Just 2021 and today, already a big shot.

Congratulations, I am diving in already; using your words.

Kudos to you dear.

mary-ojo
Community Member

So inspiring. Great lesson learned not to relent but to remain focused and make room for improvement 

e395c954
Community Member

Congratulations, for you success. Happy earning .

rasy3693
Community Member

Good luck 🤞 Liz s

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths