More Connects to win more of the work you love

katbenjamin
Top Rated Manager

UPDATE: This is already live. You’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings.

If you take the Upwork Readiness test the 40 Connects will be automatically added to your account. 

In December, we’re upgrading Connects to provide you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. You’re doing amazing things on Upwork, and more Connects means more chances to do the work you love. 

We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.

Here’s exactly what you can expect:

New Talent

Receive 40 free Connects with an additional 40 free Connects for passing the Upwork Readiness Test.

Freelancer Basic Plan

Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle)

Freelancer Plus Plan

Receive 80 Connects per month (70 + 10 free Connects)

(according to billing cycle)

Connects Rollover Limits

The Basic and Plus roll over limit is now 200 Connects

Interview Requests (NEW)

Each interview request you (freelancers and agencies) receive and respond to from a submitted proposal earns 10 free Connects (maximum of 50 Connects per 7-day period)*

In December, you’ll see these free Connects added to your account at the start of your next billing cycle. You can find this date on your Memberships and Connects page under User Settings. You’ll also receive an email when your Connects are available for use.

These changes will create more opportunities for everyone in our community, and we’re continuing to explore other ways to show our appreciation for everything you do. Your success is our success, and we’re proud to provide a home where you can do the work you love, form lucrative relationships, and build an amazing independent business.

Learn more about how Connects work here

Update 7/23/2021: Note that when Connects are awarded for interview requests this will show up as two transactions in the Connects History. There is no change to how these are awarded, this is simply done for accounting purposes.

2,366 Comments
jose_monteiro

I finally see a meaningful attitude. The more proposals you have, the better the chances of the contracers being successful.
In my opinion, 10 credits is very LITTLE, in the past they gave 60.
Most good jobs require 6 credits, believe it or not you depend on freelancers, even though they are constantly being renewed, that's it and that's it!
The more proposal there is, the more percentage of work delivered and the more successful it will be, the higher your commission will be. If you want to increase revenue, bet on advertising for example, but guarantee PF the viability for freelancers, only then will the contracteres (the money men) have reason to use your platform.

dushyant_14
Ace Contributor

Hi Katrina, 

This is great news. Any idea if something similar will be announced for agencies as well?

Thanks!

abdsamupwork

Only 10 connects are added? upwork should provide at-least 100 free connects OR upwork should consider a 2 connects policy for all jobs. Otherwise its hard to survive here because 80% jobs are closed without anybody being hired 

g_vasilevski

Thank you for your feedback, Abdul, I will share it with our team.

If you`re concerned about applying on a job, I can recommend reviewing the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project.

katbenjamin
Top Rated Manager
Hi Dushyant,
Both agencies and freelancers will receive 10 connects for each interview won from a proposal submitted. We are looking at making improvements to the Agency Plus plans as well. Besides Connects, what other benefits would you like to see?

Katrina
rverang
Community Guru

connects-.png

abinadab-agbo
Community Guru

What of the freelancers who will post jobs and interview themselves so as to get Connects?

atalc

This is really a great chance for the freelancer who was paused for a long time and now struggling for a new job lack of new connections and the connection is not free as previously "odesk.com " was providing a free 30 applications per month. 

This would be great if Upwork.com provides a 20 connect for the freelance basic membership as 10 connects are not sufficient and nor a great chance to find the right clients. Nowadays it is costing around 2-6 connects per application depends on the project length and budget. 

So, with 10 free connects, freelancers can apply up to 2-5 applications per month! 

Thank you,
Atal Chakma
My Upwork Profile 

bevcam
Community Leader

Great to see that Upwork will be supporting freelancers with free Connects from next month. Also, give new freelancers a good push to get started.

I think the idea of awarding bonus connects for successful interviews is excellent. Quality freelancers will get rewarded. 

Although it doesn't affect me much, I'm really pleased Upwork heard their freelancers. 

Yay! And thanks Upwork.

mnjprsnn

Sounds great, But need to know how much will be fees going to new membership plans? 

philm002

Hello all,

I just read the new connect policy: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057604814-11-24-FREE-Connects-to-Do-More-on-Upwork-

Quick question, does this policy only effect freelancers who are not apart of an agency? Does this new policy also apply to freelancers who are exclusively apart of the agency?

Please let me know.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru

Abinadab A wrote:

What of the freelancers who will post jobs and interview themselves so as to get Connects?

10 freebies are a reasonable compromise that will still discourage spammers. But Abinadab is right about scammers getting friends to interview them; I think we can expect to see an increase in fake projects being posted. Bonus connects should only be awarded if a project has been won and paid for.

g_vasilevski

Hi Manoj,

Just to confirm, are you referring to our Freelancer Service Fee or the cost of our Freelancer Plus plan? Thank you.

philm002

If I am apart of the agency, will the agency get 10 or so connects each month? Or will I get 10 connects each month? I am looking here:

• Increasing the monthly free Connects on the Freelancer Basic plan from 0 to 10
  • Increasing the monthly free Connects on the Freelancer Plus plan from 70 to 80
  • Increasing the Freelancer Basic and Plus Connects Rollover Limit from 140 to 200

I see this sentence "Awarding 10 connects for each interview won: when freelancers and agencies submit a proposal, win an interview, and respond" Does this only apply to interviews you get a freelancer submits a proposal? Does this apply to invite to interview?

qelerakis

12-18 Would have been much better, but I guess 10 is better than nothing Smiley Happy 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru

Stefan S wrote:

12-18 Would have been much better, but I guess 10 is better than nothing Smiley Happy 

That's the spirit.

adshahid

due to fake job posting?  and wasting connects of others seem easy.... 

mtacbobo
Frequent Visitor
That would be great and looking forward to it soon. It would be very beneficial in my part having a Basic subscription as in order for me to Get Hired, I need to buy Connects. In my part, it is very hard as I always spent money weekly in order for me to buy Connects as I need i
t when applying a job.
It is okay in my part, if and only if when I applying for a job, I will be Hired as I paid for it. But sad to say that it wont goes it that way.

Being the Contractor, I think it is fair enough in our part if we were given a FREE CONNECTS in order for us to apply for a particular job as when I get Hired, Upwork would have a 20 or 10% share for the fees in our job. So I think that would be fair enough in our part.
786fiaz
Frequent Visitor

okay great, that is awesome. Thanks|

jose_monteiro

The credit allocation criterion may prove to be unfair, unless we see:
-I accept a work of construction of a 2000 dollar prototype, it takes two months to execute. I only have one interview at the end and I earn 10 credits.
-I accept 20 jobs of 10 dollars each that take 5 hours each. I have 20 interviewers and I earn 50 credits.
If I may suggest, they would earn credits depending on the amounts that UpWork invoices, it would be more fair.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager

Hi Phillip

Please, note that we aren't making any changes to the agency Memberships at the moment and Basic and Plus Agency Memberships do not include free monthly Connects. With this change, 10 free Connects will be awarded to freelancers on Freelancer Basic Membership. That said, we are looking into making improvements to Agency Memberships. 

Both freelancers and agencies will be eligible to receive free Connects when they win an interview. Here’s how it will work:
1.Submit a proposal to a job

2. Receive an response from a client.

3. Respond, connect, and earn a bonus of 10 Connects!

If the proposal was submitted under the agency, the bonus Connects will be awarded to the agency account.

We are not awarding Connects in cases where you are invited to interview for a job post without submitting a proposal first.  

e44cd695
Frequent Visitor

This is a good news. Finally something which has been thought about the agencies as well. This comes as a good news for the Agency business model who heavily bank on a platform like Upwork to run their business and offer services to clients.

However, with little rewards coming in, I strongly feel as an Agency owner that the connects required to apply on jobs should be equal. Most of the jobs that are applied for gets closed without even getting someone hired. This way we lose a lot of connects.

In addition, there should also be an option for the freelancer who is a part of the agency to also transfer their connects to agency account if they wish to. This way the contribution towards the agency becomes more viable.

But I really appreciate the step taken by Upwork and big kudos for finally some good news in 2020.

Thanks

Amit

jon_sarkar

Hi Upwork,

I am very glad to read your mail. I love Upwork. It is my favourite working place.  I hope it will be more favourite in future.

thank you

mrpeterjthomas
Great. Thank you for helping
anima9
Community Guru

Thank you. This is a good meeting point for those who don't want to be spammed with applicants and those who want to apply, but hesitate.

It's been ages since I applied for a job, though, but it's free so can't complain.

vjujee

I think this is a good move by Upwork and this way new talent will get jobs and it increases the trust of Upwork among the clients and companies. Let's see what more good news will come from Upwork in 2021, and I eleive 2021 will be the best year for all of us. Thank you for upwork. 

jigar-prajapati

Now that's something good happened in 2020

anadixis

Very nice gesture from UpWork and super nice to see that they are supporting us even better than before.

lopezmramon
Frequent Visitor

It's interesting how you're returning to your previous stance, but at a diminished quality. I've been here for 5 years, so I know you guys gave a LOT of free connects before. 10 connects is nice, though, won't complain. 

Thanks for giving back what you had taken away Smiley Happy

tolcat
Frequent Visitor
Awesome! Thanks Upwork Team!
pfidalgopt

Interesting measure, I imagine charging for connects may not have been a very good management decision. As I mentioned so many times, greedy has limits ...

I miss Elance so much ...

cheers

bappe_md_kaosar_
Frequent Visitor

Its really good news. My receving invites amount is very low. Let me know how can I get more interview. 

smj_designs
Frequent Visitor

This is great! Thank you for this support. This was much needed.

omido99

Great news! Getting connects was so stressfull sometimes especially when you are  new on the platform. Thank you very much upwork 

sifax_67
Frequent Visitor

what about the agency consequences, is there a similar table for that?

Thank you!

sarahwilson1
Frequent Visitor
We’ve seen a huge surge in client activity, and our work marketplace is full of opportunities for all the incredible talent on our platform. We can’t wait to watch you use these Connects to win your share of these opportunities, form stronger relationships with clients, and grow your career on Upwork.

We introduced paid Connects to keep spam from crowding out your proposals and help you win the jobs you want. But we want to ensure connecting with clients is exciting and affordable, so we’re changing our program to provide you with the Connects you need to build deeper relationships and unlock the best opportunities.
icomaguad
Frequent Visitor

Thank you and more power to us Upwork and freelancers! Smiley Happy

aperalta2014

Definitely going to be helpful. At first, I didn't like the fact that we had to pay for connects but I got over it and I pay for both my agency and my pro plan with the extra cost of buying connects every other month. So getting a few free connect here and there is awesome! 

rohan999
Community Leader

Hi all,

Glad to see the updates. One thing I would like to discuss here. I think Upwork should look into a matters of fake or unnecessary client accounts. Nowdays we get to see a lot of job posts where they invited 250+ freelancers for one of the easiest tasks. Don't you really think that these are completely Junks ?? Sometime it looks like they are just passing their times here. I have also encountered so many FAKE ACCOUNTS which never hire someone or if they do they do from a certain areas which is also a REVIEW BUSINESS. In short you pay them they get you reviews. And through that way a lot of Freelancer accounts have been taken place here while the others are working so hard to make a favor. So I request please take care of these things to help this platform clean and spam free. Thanks.

sheknowsbest
Frequent Visitor

You have taken the 60 free connects in a time when it meant you could apply to 30 jobs, and reduced it to 0 and now handing over 10 connects for free (where most jobs require 6 connects) is progress in your opinion?

I've been using Upwork since it was Odesk. I've been here for 10 years and I've probably been here more than you Katrina. Upwork is falling us and it has been for years. 

This is exactly why I don't use it anymore. 

#makeupworkgreatagain

rashidmehmood147
Frequent Visitor

Finally somthing good from Upwork

sopho_t
thanks
marinagaudin

You should give back to the freelancer those connects that were spent on jobs that were closed or that someone else was hired.

diana-arous
Ace Contributor

Abdul Sammad A wrote:

Only 10 connects are added? upwork should provide at-least 100 free connects OR upwork should consider a 2 connects policy for all jobs. Otherwise its hard to survive here because 80% jobs are closed without anybody being hired 

I second that.

Also, not that it's up for debate, but the fees are getting our of hand! not only we have to deal with the 20% but now an extra 1% for VAT?? with the client's 20% Upwork gets 41% of every deal! that's insane!

so yeah, thanks for the free connects i guess...

komalmore593
Frequent Visitor
Nice to see this is happening at Upwork...

Will the freelancer get 10 connects on just accepting the interview invite from client?
nitisinghal
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Upwork team, for being so thoughtful about the freelancers. However, I agree with a few people here, that 10 free connects are of barely any use, as these days, each job requires 4-6 connects atleast, and more than half the jobs are closed even without any hiring. 

It should atleast be upto 20-25 connects with the basic plan. 

I was using a freelancer Plus plan until a few months ago, when a USA based client asked his credit card company to demand for a refund for a job completed and approved, and Upwork simply asked me to return the money, which was very unfair, and I felt that there was no security towards me, even after using a PLUS plan.  And hence, I moved to Freelance basic, but guess, 10 connects are way too low. 

Please re-consider on revising the number of free connects, or please add some extra security towards us, where our hard earned money over a completed job is not returned, only because the client demands it incorrectly. 

However, bonus connects is something very nice, and would surely like to thank you for that. 

Regards, 
Niti 

britalian

I haven't had time to read through all the comments but this feels like a good step.

I think it's a real stretch to say that Freelancer Plus includes 80 free Connects. We pay for those Connects, they are in no way 'free'. It's deliberate word play like that that erodes trust in my opinion.

It's like all that free food you get in First Class, if you only pay a few grand more for the ticket.

shobujbd

Thats greally great initiative. Thank you Upwork. 

osmanali38
Frequent Visitor
Awesome,a great news to heard. I personally thank the committee and the upwork team for the support they are going to provide to us.
britalian

Very good point. Also, many buyers post jobs with a budget of $1000, which is their total budget for the entire project.

Applying costs you 6 Connects......

Then in the description, they say "We are paying $5 per script of 5000 words".

When I report the ads as misleading, I get the message that no action was taken.