🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Get ready for tax season with our help
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get ready for tax season with our help

For many of us, tax season is almost here! And Upwork is happy to help you every step of the way. We’ve pulled together some useful resources and insights to guide you through the process—including details on this year’s 1099-K updates from the IRS.

Will I get a 1099-K?

If in 2023 you received over $20,000 in earnings, and had over 200 transactions, you’ll receive a 1099-K from Upwork. The IRS plans to make further changes to 1099-K eligibility, so we’ll share details when those changes become final.

When will I receive my 1099-K?

If you’ve signed up for digital tax forms, your 1099-K will be available on or before January 31. If you still get paper forms, you should expect your 1099-K by mail shortly after that date.

How can I find my 1099-K?

By January 31, you’ll be able to view the digital form by going to Settings > Tax forms.

What if I didn’t opt in to digital forms yet?

Don't worry. We’ll mail your paper 1099-K to the address you provided. In the meantime, you can update your tax settings to get immediate and future access to digital forms.

Read up on the latest tax requirements, from recent reporting changes to the essential forms you’ll need, if you’re a US-based freelancer or a non-US-based freelancer.

Cheers,
Mike
1 REPLY 1
patchworksvideo
Community Member

And of course, the one I'll unofficially add:

I didn't receive a 1099-K. Does this mean I don't have to pay taxes?

NO. Even if you don't receive a 1099-K, you are still subject to all IRS rules and you are responsible for properly reporting any income you receive, when you file your taxes.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths