🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer cancelled the contract and I want ...
Page options
91277f1b
Community Member

Freelancer cancelled the contract and I want to request a refund

My freelancer couldn't complete my work and is not skilled to do it. He cancelled the contract and I'm yet to receive my refund from the contract I funded the escrow. How do I apply for it please. Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

If the freelancer cancels a contract, you automatically get all escrow money back within five business days.

Ok thanks, so where does it go because I have no account number on my
profile. Or it will stay in the escrow and I can use it for another project?

Hello Alamin,

I see that your refund has been already processed and will reflect on your original payment method within 5 business days.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Ok you mean it will reflect on my escrow?

Hi Alamin,

I would like to clarify that the funds will reflect on your original payment method you have on your account, not in the Escrow. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
91277f1b
Community Member

Alright thanks alot for the reply, I've recieved the refund.
I'm still trying to flush expired and inefficient freelancers. I have an 8 milestone contract that has taken so much time (5 months) to even complete 1 milestone by this freelancer, given him enough time and all resources that he needs. So I'm thinking of ending a contract and find someone else. How will it affect my profile and escrow balance?

Hello Alamin, 

You can cancel your contract anytime in case you are not happy with the Freelancer's performance. If you have an active milestone with escrow funds, please refer to this Help page for more information on the refund process. In the case of Hourly contracts, you will have 5 days to review the billed hours after the work week has ended and raise disputes, if any. You can refer to this Help page for more information.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Hello, 

My freelancer cancelled the contract. This was for a FP contract and now my money is stuck in escrow - I am not even sure - where it is - because the transaction statement - draws up blank.  How to request for a refund from the escrow? 

Hi Aparna,

I checked but couldn't find any funds in Escrow or active offers/contracts. Could you please send me a private message with more information about this including the amount that was in Escrow so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
488c1f29
Community Member

My freelancer canceled the contract because he was not able to finish the work anymore, does that mean my funds will be sent back in 5 business days?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Luke,

Yes, the refund was successful on our end. You can check this in your Transactions. After the refund is initiated, it typically takes 2 to 5 business days for the money to be refunded back to your credit card. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
5c2a0036
Community Member

One of the freelancers ended the contract without completing my work because he is not skilled. He wasted my entire time. He accepted the offer even after he knows he is not skilled to do the work.  Can I sue him?

md_shohel99
Community Member

If the freelancer cancelled your Upwork contract, you are entitled to a full refund of any escrow funds held by the platform. Here's what you need to do to request a refund:

1. Check your contract status:

Go to "Jobs" > "My Jobs" on Upwork.
Click on the title of the cancelled contract.
Check the status of the contract. It should show "Cancelled by Freelancer."
2. Open a "Respond to Escrow Return Request" window:

Click on the "..." menu next to the contract title.
Select "Respond to Escrow Return Request."
3. Confirm the refund:

A new window will open where you can confirm the refund request.
Upwork will automatically credit the escrow funds back to your payment method within 5 business days.
4. Review your contract terms:

If you have any concerns or questions about the refund process, review your contract terms.
You can also contact Upwork support for further assistance.
Here are some additional points to consider:

Timeline: Upwork typically processes refunds within 5 business days. However, the actual timeframe may vary depending on your chosen payment method.
Disputes: If you have any disputes with the freelancer regarding the cancelled contract or the refund amount, you can file a dispute through Upwork's resolution center.
Communication: It's always a good practice to communicate directly with the freelancer before requesting a refund, especially if you have any questions or concerns about the cancellation.
By following these steps and understanding your rights as a client, you can ensure a smooth and timely refund process when a freelancer cancels your contract on Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths