🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Is Upwork a Platform where you can grow as Bi...
Page options
ae48d2e2
Community Member

Is Upwork a Platform where you can grow as Billionaire?

Hi passionate souls!

I hope all of you are doing well. I just want to ask who are the people whose bids actually work on Upwork> is it really a platform where you can grow as a billionaire? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Such negativity, you guys.

Let's get real: At $25 per hour, you would have to work 40 million hours to earn a billion. If you worked 40 paid hours per week (that's 40 hours of paid work, leaving no time to write proposals and other incidentals), you would earn a billion in 1 million weeks. There are 52 weeks per year, so that's 19,230.7 years at $25 per hour earning 40 hours per week (sorry, no bathroom breaks). So, yes, you could do this theoretically. Practically, however, not a chance. (Zippia, whatever that is, says if you made a minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, it would take 69,000 years to make a billion. $25 divided by $7.25 is 3.44 and 69,000 divided by 3.44 is 20 ,058, so 19,230.7 years is just about right -- ballpark figures.) 

However if you were James Paterson, noted as the writer who made more than any other in a single year, a billion would take you a bit over 10 years to make. In his best year, 2020, he earned about $95 million. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
elisa_b
Community Member

A billionaire...maybe one in a million? I have the feeling they are not content writers, though.

Such negativity, you guys.

Let's get real: At $25 per hour, you would have to work 40 million hours to earn a billion. If you worked 40 paid hours per week (that's 40 hours of paid work, leaving no time to write proposals and other incidentals), you would earn a billion in 1 million weeks. There are 52 weeks per year, so that's 19,230.7 years at $25 per hour earning 40 hours per week (sorry, no bathroom breaks). So, yes, you could do this theoretically. Practically, however, not a chance. (Zippia, whatever that is, says if you made a minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, it would take 69,000 years to make a billion. $25 divided by $7.25 is 3.44 and 69,000 divided by 3.44 is 20 ,058, so 19,230.7 years is just about right -- ballpark figures.) 

However if you were James Paterson, noted as the writer who made more than any other in a single year, a billion would take you a bit over 10 years to make. In his best year, 2020, he earned about $95 million. 

But those thousands of years, don't matter - except of course values will have depreciated - so your figure (ballpark) should probably be multiplied by x.  However, with AI the  Gen Zs and the Gen Alphas are going to live forever.  They will be nourished on greenbacks and drink the waters of success - they will find a way of keeping Upwork aboard the good ship Eternal.

(I think I feel a limerick coming on, or something even stronger ...)

Nichola,

I don't know what's stronger than a limerick. It's an interesting thing to ponder.

Reminds me of the old gag, however: What's the most lucrative form of writing? Answer: Ransom notes.

2a05aa63
Community Member

1000000000$ / 900$/h (max hourly rate after fee)/ 40h\w / 52 weeks = 534 years ;^)

celgins
Community Member

Reaching the billionaire status is unlikely, but there are plenty of freelancers who have made millions through Upwork.

spxpert
Community Member

Depending on what you do.  If you happen to build an organization and grab 47% of the jobs posted on Upwork...then definately yeah.  You never know what future brings,  enjoy the present moment

Nice View Point!

bf92a9f6
Community Member

May be but is it important to grow as Billionaire for you?

williamtcooper
Community Member

Madiha,

As a Millionaire yes - Billionaire no.

Only apply for Jobs that are an exact match for your Skills.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths