🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Suggestions for online freelance [emotional] ...
Page options
hewitt-jordan
Community Member

Suggestions for online freelance [emotional] peer support?

I'm in freelance development.

I've been noticing clients have been very...sensitive lately. Ending contracts out of the blue for minor hiccups. I'm finding it's really stressful and there's no one I know who is even remotely in the same spot I am (haha--remote...freelancer humor).

Is there some sort of online community for peer support? Where I can collab with other freelancers, whether it's to vent, celebrate, or offer support to others?

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there some sort of online community for peer support? Where I can collab with other freelancers, whether it's to vent, celebrate, or offer support to others?"

Yes.

Here is a link to that online peer support community:

https://community.upwork.com

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jordan H wrote:

I'm in freelance development.

I've been noticing clients have been very...sensitive lately. Ending contracts out of the blue for minor hiccups. I'm finding it's really stressful and there's no one I know who is even remotely in the same spot I am (haha--remote...freelancer humor).

Don't let it get you down. Clients do what they do, just like people do what they do, and we always equate it to something we did or find some way to make ourselves responsible. It has something to do with them, not you. I know it affects you, but it's not necessarily because of you. Maybe they want the impossible and you can't provide it, but no one could, so don't blame yourself. Maybe they ran out of money -again, not your problem. 

And there's definitely a subset of clients out there that have unrealistic expectations. Like you ask them a question for clarity (you know, so you can deliver exactly what they way), and they freak out thinking the project is off the rails. I haven't had one of those in a very long time (learned to vet them out in the interview process), but again, still not you. 

It happens. You can't please everyone. Just let it roll off your back and move on to the next one. Nothing you can do now about it. What's done is done. Best to put it in the rear view mirror. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Why don't you start one? "The Freelancer Forum" - but you would have to monitor it carefully to avoid overload! 

Nichola offered a good suggestion. If the currently available option doesn't meet your needs, you can create your own forum that is exactly what you want it to be. If you want, I will donate server space for you to do so, so it would not cost you anything for hosting.

I tend to be that type of person...if I don't see a group that fits my need I start one. I was considering starting a matrix.org channel.

That tends to really wear me out, though. I've started a lot of groups in the past, and if there isn't enough interest it tires me out.

So now I don't start groups unless I get some sense that I'm not the only one looking for a group like that.

So if everyone reading this can get 10 people wanting a freelance emotional support group I'd be open to getting one going.

2e395a62
Community Member

XX Century Freelancers' Emotional Support Group

Scotch+Bourbon+Whiskey+Expert+Whisky+Connoisseur+Sommelier.jpeg

XXI Century Freelancers' Emotional Support Group

2829ADCA00000578-3062239-image-a-5_1430392035376.jpg

You can tell the people in the first pic secretly hate each other though, or at least they hate the guy in silhouette 🙊 I was going to suggest a large whisky for the guy in the second pic, but I don't want to make his situation worse. Maybe a nice cup of tea would be best.

Upwork could purchase each freelancer an emotional support alligator. I imagine that this is considered a "best practice" on many leading freelance platforms.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.04.47 PM.png

The alligator looks pretty smug thinking he just bagged himself a fresh human for later use. Until such time he will pretend to be supportive. 

Do alligators offer such support on a freelance basis or just as a hobby?

Liz, the guy in silhouette has just got the Top Rated badge and the others have JSS less than 70%, hence the hate 😉

PS. You really can't go wrong with a large glass of decent whisky...

ha, the second photo can be also labelled "COVID times emotional support". as this dumb virus has came to all the aspects of the human life...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths