🐈
» Community » Community Blog » Lessons Learned on Upwork: 5 Things That Work...
Page options
Apr 14, 2022
Lessons Learned on Upwork: 5 Things That Worked

Five years ago, I realized I was losing money by going to work.

My work on this platform had reached a point where I was at a crossroads. I could choose to keep it a side gig forever, or commit, take the leap and make it my forever gig. At the time, I had two children, a partner with a "safety over excitement" outlook on life, and many financial responsibilities.

Does any of that sound familiar?

When you're first starting, there are so many questions you don't have the answers to. But today's topic isn't how to start; it's about how to grow!

One of the things that nobody tells you when you switch a side gig to your full-time passion is the countless obstacles you face that you don't expect to. So as someone who has walked that path, I want to share some of the critical mistakes to avoid and successes to strive for.

Pick your clients

I cannot state this enough. When you're in growth mode, you want as many clients as possible, understandably. The mistake most often made here is working with anyone who wants to work with you. You know in yourself what you're excellent at. You know what types of businesses would suit you and your work best. You know what kind of people you work best with. While it seems tempting to take that project, that's a "little outside of your usual scope." I promise you it's not worth it. Worst case scenario, you do not deliver your usual excellent work and get bad feedback. Best case, you barely pull it off and age ten years in the process. It's essential to work with the clients consistently you do the best work for; it will only attract more clients of the same caliber.

You're not alone

One of the best decisions I ever made was hiring a virtual assistant. Not to do the work the client is paying for, but to do all the extra behind-the-scenes work you have to deal with usually. While you may be thinking, I need to earn money, not spend it. If you find the right person, they will free up half of your day for minimal cost. That half of your day you've now reclaimed can be used to deliver work for more clients.

Clear and reasonable boundaries

When I first started, I would reply to messages 24/7; I would work on weekends and evenings. I genuinely believed that making myself available like that would make my clients happier. You're not a robot; you need your time, family time and guess what? So do your clients. Set clear availability from the start. I'm available on these days, at these hours. Your clients are more than welcome to message whenever they like, but you will respond in your outlined hours and days. This sets clear boundaries and avoids potential problems with clients who can sometimes expect you to be available whenever they call. It's important to enjoy your freedom to deliver the best for your clients when it's work time.

Time is money

We've all heard this a hundred times, but it's true. One of the best things you can do early is to create a package. The price of that package is based on the value of the result, not the amount of time it takes you to do. You physically can not scale to the top without value-based pricing. For example, if you're a copywriter, have a price per 100 words or per web page. As you get better, you get faster. Don't punish yourself financially because what used to take you five hours now takes three. 

Five stars or you're out

When you have hundreds of reviews, a bad project, while not ideal, is manageable. But when your reviews are in the twenties, thirties, etc. It can cost you thousands of dollars of work. Unlike having a website where people can only see the great work you've done, on Upwork, potential clients see everything. This is a double-edged sword; it means the best rise to the top and the average sink. In every piece of work you do, ask yourself, "Is this five-star quality work?". 

When it comes to successes, these are harder to list out because, let's face it, everyone's successes are unique. Personally, I love watching companies double in size, thanks to my efforts. I love getting the opportunity to work with brands I've followed and bought from for years. I love that client who comes along and teaches me something about myself, my work, and life in general. I love the freedom of waking up every day knowing that I'm in control of my time, day, and what I do with it.

What does success look like for you?

I hope these tips keep you safe, keep you on the fast track to the top, and most importantly, keep you happy.

6 Comments