Now is the time to act!

haydenb
Upwork Staff

Upwork Community, 

Our voices matter. 

Our commitments matter. 

Our actions matter.

We are deeply saddened by the recent events of discrimination and violence against Black people in our communities. We acknowledge George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the many other Black people who have needlessly lost their lives due to racist violence and an inequitable justice system. We are outraged, and we are motivated to take action for the betterment of our communities. At Upwork, we do not condone any form of racism on our platform. Black Lives Matter and we stand with our Black community now and every day.  

On the Upwork platform, we will continue to work to build a space where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities can tap into unparalleled work opportunities. Our product is anchored in our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We will continue to break down the barriers that too often block talented people, including Black people, from accessing opportunities and realizing their potential. We are deeply committed to furthering opportunities for Black people on our platform, including taking steps to identify potential biases and to reduce the propagation of hiring preferences around race, nationality, gender, and ethnicity on Upwork. 

We are expanding our outreach into our communities where we are committed to the eradication of police violence, particularly violence against Black people. To further this important work, we are donating $100,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund to help fight racial injustice. We are also matching an additional $100,000 in employee donations to organizations supporting the Black community. You can learn more about our efforts in the open letter posted here by Erin Thomas, Upwork’s Head of Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.

At Upwork, we are channeling our outrage into work to actively build a company and a society that Black people deserve. 

Hayden Brown

President and CEO, Upwork

23 Comments
gracemcd

or just indicate that they are a part of a minority group, so that the clients can actively filter results based on other factors.

7bb3a47b
Ace Contributor

As employer, can you make filter about online users? upwork is shoing offline users. 

7bb3a47b
Ace Contributor

I am spending difficult time to find candidate but almost are offline. so I would need to send invite to only online users. I would like to send invitation to online users. 

sometime my job is urgent but some jobs are not finishing I send offline people.

djondinium
Community Manager

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with us. For now, there is no option that will allow you to send invites only to online users. However, you can see the indicator next to the freelancer's picture that will tell you whether the freelancer is online (green), away (yellow), or offline (gray).

Thank you.

elitegra
Ace Contributor

Hi Brian, 

A freelancer can be offline for several reasons but still available to work right away if you invite them. 

Wilson

352217b2

I'm interested in giving preference to women of color and I'm disappointed there isn't a filter for "BIPOC" and gender (i.e. if someone wanted to give preference to trans folk). I tried to see how to message you to seek referrals but couldn't find a way. 

pradeephele

Hi Anita,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear how you feel about not having an option to filter freelancers using a filter for BIPOC and gender. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team and you will be updated here in case your recommendation is accepted. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep

researchediting
Community Guru

Anita B wrote:

I'm interested in giving preference to women of color and I'm disappointed there isn't a filter for "BIPOC" and gender (i.e. if someone wanted to give preference to trans folk). I tried to see how to message you to seek referrals but couldn't find a way. 

While it's not the filter you asked aboout, there is a program that displays various kinds of certified diversity-contracting eligibility to  Enterprise clients, and to Upwork recruiters. Its badges are not generally visible, and represent only those freelancers who have the time and (often if not always) the money to pursue certification.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Updates-to-the-Diversity-Certified-Badge/m-p/873177#M5...