🐈
» Community » Community Blog » Revolutionizing Freelancer Workflow: 8 Projec...
Page options
Apr 03, 2024
Revolutionizing Freelancer Workflow: 8 Project Management Tools & Techniques

Revolutionizing Freelancer Workflow: 8 Project Management Tools & Techniques

In the fast-paced world of freelancing, effective project management is key to success. We've gathered insights from eight experts, including seasoned freelancers and productivity champions, who share their top tools and techniques. From customizing workflow with no-code tools to automating business with ClickUp, discover the strategies that can enhance your project efficiency.

• Customize Workflow with No-Code Tools
  • Streamline Scheduling with AI Tool Motion
  • Organize Work Efficiently with Notion
  • Simplify Video Reviews with Frame.io
  • Organize and Track Freelance Tasks with Teamwork.com
  • Minimize Admin with Fugoya.com
  • Manage Projects Visually with Trello
  • Automate Business with ClickUp

Customize Workflow with No-Code Tools

My project management process originally started with a tricked-out Google Sheet. When I was ready to add sophistication to my approach, I struggled to find the perfect existing project management tool for the way my brain works, despite many tools offering customization options that include custom fields and conditional logic. 

With the experience of having tried to find answers in many existing solutions, I discovered a welcome flexibility in using no-code tools like Process Street and Airtable to build out my entire process, supported by built-in automation functionality and Zapier. It was necessary to have a good understanding of what I was looking for going into using no-code tools and automation to avoid getting overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

Maddy Osman, The Blogsmith Agency Founder & Bestselling Author - Writing for Humans and Robots, The Blogsmith

Streamline Scheduling with AI Tool Motion

For my fellow freelancers, I highly recommend checking out the AI project management tool called Motion. If you find planning a drag, tend to procrastinate, or don't feel productive at the end of the day, this is an absolute lifesaver! This tool automatically prioritizes your tasks and creates a detailed schedule based on the deadlines and urgency you specify. 

No more stressing about what to work on next—Motion tells you! And if you work with clients face-to-face, it has a convenient drag-and-drop built-in system for booking meetings. Honestly, I haven't yet come across any other AI-powered tools that handle scheduling this smoothly.

Juliet Dreamhunter, Founder & AI Strategist, Juliety

Organize Work Efficiently with Notion

After trying pretty much every tool on the market, we started using Notion for our UI/UX design agency. It allows us to streamline and organize all of our work, from lead generation to project management and task management. We like that, unlike other platforms, Notion is super customizable. You can change everything to fit your workflow needs.

One of our favorite features in Notion is the reminder feature in the calendar data type, as it lets us know when our project deadlines are close to completion. While there is a small learning curve to adapting Notion to exactly what you need, I think it is well worth it, especially considering it is a cost-effective solution.

Juan Carlos Munoz, Co-Founder, CC Creative Design

Simplify Video Reviews with Frame.io

As a video freelancer, I could not live without Frame.io. Uploading videos and sending them to clients for review was always a huge pain until Frame.io came along. It is super easy to share videos with clients, get client feedback for the exact notes my clients want, and easy to upload new versions and final deliverables. Especially when you're working with a lot of videos and very demanding clients, Frame.io becomes a necessity.

Yuriy Chernin, Chief Executive Officer, Trend Video

Organize and Track Freelance Tasks with Teamwork.com

As a freelancer, Teamwork.com has been a game-changer for me. It's like having a virtual assistant that never sleeps. With Teamwork, I can easily break down projects into bite-sized tasks, assign them to myself or collaborators, and keep track of deadlines. What I love most is the ability to see everything at a glance—who's doing what and by when. Plus, it integrates with the other tools I use, so everything's in one place.

By organizing tasks and deadlines clearly, I spend less time figuring out my next move and more time actually doing the work. The time-tracking feature is a lifesaver, too. It helps me understand how long tasks really take, which is gold for planning future projects and setting realistic deadlines.

Luca Tagliaferro, SEO Consultancy, Luca Tagliaferro SEO Consultancy

Minimize Admin with Fugoya.com

After being a freelancer for 16 years and trying countless tools, the most valuable resource you have is time. And if your workflow doesn't try to minimize time spent on admin tasks to the absolute minimum, then you're just missing out. The other thing is offloading things you need to keep in your head, so there is mental space for your actual work.

Fugoya.com is my only answer to this as it optimizes every step: Proposals and invoices are made up of repeating blocks that make the task of writing new documents incredibly fast. The health of all your running projects is shown on a single page, so you don't have to keep everything in the back of your head. Time is tracked automatically in the background, so you don't have to think about manual timers and can focus on the work. The app reminds you when an action is necessary, and not the other way around.

Thomas Strobl, Founder, Fugoya

Manage Projects Visually with Trello

I wouldn't be where I am today without my Trello board! It helps me manage prospecting meetings, client deadlines, life, and grad-school things, and break projects down into more segmented parts.

Julie Ann Howlett, Edtech Professional, Julie Ann H Digital

Automate Business with ClickUp

It's hard to narrow it down to one, but if I could only pick ONE tool to use, it would be ClickUp.

I run my whole business from ClickUp. Many freelancers default to using Notion. Notion is a great note-keeping tool. But if you truly want a second brain, a project management tool, a way to automate the fundamentals of your business, then ClickUp is the tool to use.

Using ClickUp, I've built automated review journeys, enquiry systems, referral systems that generated six figures of revenue for my business on autopilot. The possibilities are endless; all it requires is a bit of skill in setting up the automation. It's also better for team working than Notion in terms of collaborative tools.

Nicholas Robb, Head Honcho, Design Hero

2 Comments