🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 19 connects for one proposal? What is happeni...
Page options
d7595c06
Community Member

19 connects for one proposal? What is happening Upwork?

That is all I have to say. 

19 REPLIES 19
tjmisny
Community Member

All for a post where the client most likely will not even interview a single paying candidate.  The Casinno is getting out hand, Upwork.  WE NEED REFORMS!

Why do you think they won't interview most of the time? This hasn't matched my experience, but I'm curious what you're seeing.

I made a post earlier in the year about this, where out of around 175 posts I applied to, around 60% did not interview a single paying candidate.  

mrantivirus
Community Member

It sounds like a lot. I would say that my cost to get a customer right now is about 100 connects ($15) with well written proposals to each of them. You need to have some sort of systemized method of writing these proposals while still keeping them highly tailored and relevant. Otherwise, the time input doesn't make much sense. The connect costs actually aren't that bad, if you're good at the proposal and closeing during the first meeting, and have skills that people need.

Thank you Bradley L.  You give me hope.

marjan22
Community Member

Maximum so far its 23 connects, not 19!

motoyen
Community Member

Connects will keep going up as Upwork's goal is to milk freelancers as much as they can while doing NOTHING to prevent scam jobs being posted. 

anilthapa81
Community Member

it looks like Upwork seriously wants to leave the platform. It's been a year now since I got any good projects from Upwork.

48f850a0
Community Member

This is not even funny, please check this out, 3$ hourly job (highly specific by the client) and Upwork is charging 21 connects to apply..

Can Upwork Ceo or any of the board members let their kids freelance on Upwork? How does this type of pricing make any sense, please let me know if am exaggerating things.

To make more profit, common sense would be to eliminate cheap rates from the platform completely, set a minimum price clients can pay hourly or fixed price which excludes 3$,5$ and co. By increasing connects to apply to everything it makes the site look stupid in many ways. Best solution is to return the connects to previous price and tackle the type of jobs being posted on the site to begin with

tjmisny
Community Member

That is **Edited for Community Guidelines** offensive!  Wow.  And they want Intermediate level work for $3/hr!  Not entry level!  21 connects to apply to this absolute cheapskate... 

48f850a0
Community Member

You see the issue, Clients can place or do whatever they wish, but Upwork expects freelancers to pay the price... I wonder how sustainable this connects thing will be, already a huge drop in applications. I am very sure clients will soon begin complaining in the next coming weeks.

tjmisny
Community Member

Just for anyone following this - I used a curse word with letters *** removed to avoid spelling out the whole word.  So sorry to offend anyone's virgin ears.

If freelancers stop applying to cheap jobs, then cheap clients will no longer post on Upwork. Why isn't this a good solution to the problem?

This is *THE* solution to the problem, but it is not realistic because there are always teenagers in third world countries who are willing to work for a dollar a day.  Unless you also had an idea to solve global poverty and inequality.... 

wrote:

This is *THE* solution to the problem, but it is not realistic because there are always teenagers in third world countries who are willing to work for a dollar a day.  Unless you also had an idea to solve global poverty and inequality.... 

So how is it more realistic to demand that Upwork raise their minimum prices? They don't have a monopoly on the freelance market, and they didn't arrive at $3/hour, $5 fixed rate by accident - it's what their competitors set as minimums as well. Cheapskate clients would simply go elsewhere, and your impoverished third-world teenagers wouldn't be able to get work here if they could no longer compete by charging rock-bottom prices. It wouldn't change anything. 

I never suggested to demand that Upwork raise their minimum prices allowed on the platform. (?)  That is a good idea though!  

wrote:

I never suggested to demand that Upwork raise their minimum prices allowed on the platform. 

Emmanuel did, and we're both responding to his post?

Emmanuel wrote:

Can Upwork Ceo or any of the board members let their kids freelance on Upwork? How does this type of pricing make any sense, please let me know if am exaggerating things.

Emmanuel, you are not exaggerating things.  It's up to Upwork to maintain the integrity of their own platform, not us - that's just silly.

ian55home
Community Member

This system will discourage new freelancers. Clients like to low ball and connects are getting expensive. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members