🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bad JSS score after client closed a contract ...
Page options
mohamedsamy42
Community Member

Bad JSS score after client closed a contract with no work.

Hello,

I've just noticed that my JSS has been reduced to 98% from 100% after a client's closed the contract. The client hired me and didn't send any specifics about the requirements. When I accepted the offer asking him about the requirements, he didn't respond. When he finally responded a few days later, he asked me to contact him via Skype. I replied stating that I'd rather use Upwork's chat because I don't want to risk breaking Upwork's TOS. He replied that if I can't use Skype he can't hire me, and closed the contract before I got a chance to respond. My JSS was affected immediately after that. When I tried contacting Upwork's support, they said they couldn't remove that feedback. This is obviously highly unfair for me. Can anyone help me understand this from Upwork's POV. Why can't I remove this unfair feedback?

Best regards,

Mohamed Samy

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed S wrote:

Can anyone help me understand this from Upwork's POV. Why can't I remove this unfair feedback?

You should never accept a contract until you have everything you need to complete the first milestone or begin to log time. A contract that never leads to any earnings counts as unsuccessful because, well, it is.

But of course you *could* use your Feedback Removal Perk (if you haven't used it in the last 3 months or 10 contracts). But in my opinion it would be a waste of the perk to do so. 98% is an excellent JSS and clients don't really care if someone sits at 98% or at 100% - so keep the perk for when something goes really wrong, as you can only use it once every 10 contracts or 3 months.

You caused the issue yourself because you were unaware that talking to the client via skype once a contract has been established is not a violation of Upwork's rules at all and never has been. Once you have a contract you can and should talk to the client in any way that suits you both.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

98% is not a bad JSS.

You have all good feedback.

You have all 5-star average feedback.

I don't understand what you are concerned about.

Don't contact Upwork Customer Support abou this sort of thing.

There is nothing unfair here.

petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed S wrote:

Can anyone help me understand this from Upwork's POV. Why can't I remove this unfair feedback?

You should never accept a contract until you have everything you need to complete the first milestone or begin to log time. A contract that never leads to any earnings counts as unsuccessful because, well, it is.

But of course you *could* use your Feedback Removal Perk (if you haven't used it in the last 3 months or 10 contracts). But in my opinion it would be a waste of the perk to do so. 98% is an excellent JSS and clients don't really care if someone sits at 98% or at 100% - so keep the perk for when something goes really wrong, as you can only use it once every 10 contracts or 3 months.

You caused the issue yourself because you were unaware that talking to the client via skype once a contract has been established is not a violation of Upwork's rules at all and never has been. Once you have a contract you can and should talk to the client in any way that suits you both.

moonraker
Community Member

There is nothing you can do. (Other than waste your top rated perk) 

Just put it down to exeprience and remember from now on not to accept any contract offers until you have all you need to proceed.

These things happen sometimes. A 98% JSS is fine and will make no difference to your prospects. Going by your profile, it will be back up to 100% before long anyway. 

It really is not worth giving another thought to. 

I use Upwork primarily as a freelancer. But I also have hired over 100 freelancers as a client. In NO WAY do I reject freelancers with JSS of 100% and all 5-star-average reviews...

BUT:

When I see a profile that has less than 100%... and has less-than-perfect reviews... Seeing those things simply makes me believe that the freelancer is a real person doing real work, and isn't perfect. Just like myself. I have a positive opinion about such freelancers.

As a client, I do NOT look only for freelancers with perfect JSS and perfect feedback. I believe that most clients are similar to me in that regard.

I may even trust such a profile even more to be one that belongs to a freelancer who isn't trying to manipulate scores. (I know from first-hand experience that some freelancers will become real pests and pressure clients to change scores if they get a less-than perfect score...)

I've honestly thought myself in the past that 100% might look unrealistic to some people. I've wondered if it might even be beneficial to drop a few points. 

Thanks for your input! I have not pressured any client to leave a good review. I like to let my work speak for me. I honestly just got irritated by the fact that my first bad review went like this. I will keep that in mind.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

What feedback? If you earned no money, no feedback will appear on your profile.

Hello, Martina. It didn't actually appear in my profile as a feedback. I was talking about the JSS score.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members