🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I use a professional name?
Page options
4b5cfaec
Community Member

Can I use a professional name?

Hi there, I have a professional name that is different from my ID and my bank account, like a stage name. All my past portfolio is done in this professional name but billed with my ID name. I want my profile name to be this professional name, how do you suggest I navigate this on UpWork? 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I use a professional name?"

You may use the name that appears on your government-issued ID.

That name will match the name listed as an account holder on your bank account or financial withdrawal account.

If you want to use a "professional name" that is not currently the name that appears on your bank account and government-issued ID, then you simply need to change your name legally, change your name on your bank account, and then get new government-issued ID showing your legally changed name.

ArjayM

Hi Pia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You still have options for the name that you use for public and promotional purposes. Your verified name is only shared on invoices and the Contract Room you have with a client.

Your profile name can be a nickname or a variation of your legal name, as long as it follows our name change guidelines.

However, as Preston mentioned, for Bank Accounts or Payment Method Under a Different Name, your verified name must match the name on any bank accounts or payment methods you intend to use, including any middle names, family names, or special characters. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members