🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Testimonial not approved by UpWork
Page options
bf5d1a8b
Community Member

Client Testimonial not approved by UpWork

Hello
I'm joining what seems to be like a long line of freelancers whose testimonials from clients outside of UpWork have not been approved because the clients contact details 'could not be verified'. I provided both my client's email address and one of his two LinkedIn profiles (he is a professor at two separate universities.) A quick google search of his name will confirm that he is a renowned historian with several publications under his belt. My client was kind enough to take the time out of his busy schedule to write me a testimonial for the copy-editing work I did for him last year. The project was a major step forward for me in terms of my freelancing career. I am baffled as to why this testimonial was not approved and the fact that I have wasted my client's time with this, is embarrassing. I hope you can resolve this issue and approve the testimonial. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Akbal,

We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients. You can send requests to clients you've worked with in past.

To ensure the trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. 

You can use your profile overview or portfolio section to include endorsements and testimonials from people you worked with outside of Upwork. Make sure not to share any private or contact information.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

118 REPLIES 118
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Maja,

To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
bab22407
Community Member

Hello,

I sent a testimonial request through Upwork to my former manager on Friday. He submitted the testimonial on Saturday, and Saturday night/Sunday morning I received an email from Upwork saying that it had not been approved. The only information I have been given is that “we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid”.

I'm confused about why this is the case, as I provided his business email address (firstname.surname@companyname.com) which is consistent with the email address on his LinkedIn profile and with the web address of the company in question. His LinkedIn profile identifies him as a Partner of the company I worked for until earlier this year. We are connected on LinkedIn and he's also left a recommendation for me there.

I sent a long message to support via the chatbot, asking if it could be reviewed as it seems to have been unfairly denied. I provided the LinkedIn link again in case there had been an issue with the original link I provided, and gave details to evidence that my manager is who I said he is and that I had indeed worked with him at my previous place of employment. For example, I provided the company's web address and linked to the pages that show my manager as a Partner of the company, and provided contact information for the company if Upwork still feels the need to verify. 

I'm posting in this forum, however, because I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email that I'd sent the message to support. And it's not in the 'my requests' section of the support page. So I'm not sure if this has been sent successfully or if I'll hear anything back about it. 

I'm new to Upwork and don't have any client history or feedback yet, so I was waiting until the testimonial was up on my profile before spending any more connects hoping that the endorsement might help in getting work. 

Would greatly appreciate some assistance here!

Hi Sophie,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
bab22407
Community Member

Thank you Andrea. Is there a reason I can't see the support ticket? When I click the link in your message it takes me to the 'My Requests' page of Upwork Support, but the only thing in there is a solved ticket relating to feedback I gave on the Help pages.  

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for following up. I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you via email as soon as possible to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola S,

"Your testimonial request is pending"- this text is not showing in my profile now. My client has valid information and gave me the recommendation and the testimonial section of my profile is empty seems like I didn't apply for a testimonial.

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To request a testimonial:

1. Go to Settings, then My Profile.
  2. Scroll down to the “Testimonials” section.
  3. Click on “Request a testimonial.”
  4. Enter your client’s contact information, including a link to their LinkedIn account. 

Can you please confirm if you've already done the steps above? If you've already done your part and are still not seeing the testimonial request as pending on your profile, please let us know so we can further assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork

Yes! I have done these steps already. After submitting the request proposal my client gave me an endorsement for the testimonial and it was showing "pending testimonial request" on my profile but now this pending text is gone. I don't know what happened with that testimonial? I am new in upwork and want my ex-clients review on my profile. Please help me and check the problem in my Upwork id!

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your message. I see that a support ticket is already initiated for the same inquiry. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

In my profile, the testimonial given by the people with whom I have worked outside Upwork is approved first, Then why it does not seem approved later?

Hi MD Ashraful,

I will look into this further and will get back to you once I have more information.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you, Nikola

Hello Nikola, Did you find any solution?

Hi MD Ashraful,

Apologies for the delay in our response here, thank you for following up! I checked and it does look like the team reached out to you via support ticket with information on why your Testimonial was not approved. Please refer to your ticket here

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello. I received testimonial from a customer (Turgay O.) outside of Upwork, but it was not approved. However, the e-mail address with the corporate extension and the link of the linkedin profile with the same name were also shared. I request your support.

Hi Akbal,

We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients. You can send requests to clients you've worked with in past.

To ensure the trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. 

You can use your profile overview or portfolio section to include endorsements and testimonials from people you worked with outside of Upwork. Make sure not to share any private or contact information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
de223207
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I need help editing "Project Type" in testimonials, can you help me please?
I want to change "MMNT* - Social Media Network" to "Healthcare & Sports League"

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 07.07.28.png

Hi Arjay,

I hope you are doing well. I requested a testimonial outside of Upwork from a client I worked with. I provided all the information appropriately including their LinkedIn profile URL, but still the testimonial isn't approved. My client can provide any verifications that you may need to approve my testimonial. Kindly help me approve my testimonial.
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Malik Ijlal

Hi Malik,

I reached out directly to the team handling the testimonial request to have your report reviewed. Kindly expect an update from one of the members with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay,

Thank you so much for reaching me, and helping me out. My testimonial is approved now. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Malik Ijlal

Hi Malik,

Glad to hear that your Testimonial is approved. Feel free to message us if you need any assistance in the future.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Arjay,

I hope you are doing well. As you were very helpful before so I am reaching you out again. I requested a testimonial outside of Upwork from a client I worked with. I provided all the information appropriately, including their LinkedIn profile URL, but the testimonial wasn't approved. My client can provide any verifications you need to approve my testimonial. Kindly help me approve my testimonial.
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Malik Ijlal

Hi Malik, 

It looks like the testimonial is already displayed on your profile. For future reference, we can only approve client testimonials with sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. If that happens, the team may have been unable to find enough information about your client. You can read more about it here.

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
ea99ab69
Community Member

Hi I am having the same problem. I don't care about whether the review shows up on Upwork anymore, but I would like a copy of my client's testimonial. She has already given me one and it would be embarrassing and unprofessional to ask her to rewrite it and send it to me. Could you please assist?

Hi Maxine,

I've shared your request with the appropriate team for further review. Once done, please expect an update from one of the members with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4db345fa
Community Member

Hi,
I am also new to Upwork and worked outside upwork with some clients. My client took time and gave me a testimonial. But his testimonial was not approved saying that "To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid." I provided my client's email address and his linkedin profile as asked. What else is needed to verify the contact information. you can search his name in google and you can get his linkedin profile right at the first.  I am really very tensed why the testimonial was not approved and I am very disappointed here to know that we as a new ones have to struggle so much not only to get the new project but because of these processes which left us nowhere. FYI, upwork support is also not working. So, I have kind of left with no other way but to reply in this thread. I hope that you can resolve this issue and approve the testimonial. Thank you.

Hi Varsha,

I'm sorry we couldn't approve your Testimonial request. I want to clarify that we have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. To better ensure the integrity of our review, we do not share the details of our process. We appreciate your understanding and apologize for how this outcome may inconvenience you.

You can learn about other ways to enhance your profile on this page

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a1cb5a64
Community Member

My two testimonials are not coming thru. Customers submitted it. I can show you all my service docs! Why are these being rejected? could someone just check for me. I am getting anxious with Upwork lately. 

Hi Salim,

To ensure trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. I can see that you recently just submitted another request, please allow our team five days to complete their testimonial review and you should be receiving an update via email once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
tomzilla1
Community Member

I have 2 pending testimonials from almost 10 days ago... Still pending. What's the timeframe? The first (total of 3) testimonial was approved like in 1 day... but the remaining 2 is still pending. Both testimonial clients confirmed they have submitted the testimonial many days ago.

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't received an answer on the testimonials review. Note that it can take up to 10 business days for a testimonial to be reviewed. I can see that you raised a ticket with the support team, so please kindly allow for them to get back to you, I'm sure they'll assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6bef0a9a
Community Member

Hi, Upwork team I have submitted more than 2 times testimonial requests with my previous client but you guys are not approving that. I did not find any solid reason from your side why you are not approving it.

This is the email that I got from your side
Hi Syed,We are writing to inform you that Usama’s testimonial was not approved. To  ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. Thank you for your understanding. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

Please take action on it and approve it as soon as possible because I did not find any reason why you did not approve it

Hi Syed,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that your Testimonial request has been rejected. I'll have one of the team members review your case and assist you further via a support ticket. Kindly expect the ticket on this page once been set up.

~ Arjay
Upwork
fae5bb76
Community Member

I just recently completed a project on Upwork and asked the client for the testimonial but yesterday I got the email that your testimonial is not approved. Please anybody can tell me how can I request a testimonial from that client again? I am looking forward to a solution. Thanks

Hi Syed,

I'm sorry to hear your Testimonial was not approved. To ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ca54814f
Community Member

Hey Nadja, 

I have been working with Sajjad for 5 months, I requested for a testimonial on Upwork. Upwork didn't approve it. I can't ask him for testimonials again as he's a very busy person. Is there a way out? 2022-11-13.png

Hi Tanveel,

I'm sorry to hear your Testimonial was not approved. To ensure the trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cuhl
Community Member

Sent a client of over a 1yr+ an email to fill out a testimonial in Upwork and it was rejected.

How to we get this resolved asap so I didn't waste mytime or my clients?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members