🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for complete work with half ...
Page options
abdullahshahid_
Community Member

Client is asking for complete work with half the milestones activated

I have been bidding on Upwork to incerase my JSS and found a client. Now the contract started and we agreed on $25. He added $15 and $10 milestones separately and later on said that he will only pay me the $10 milestone after I complete all the work in $15. Now I know he isn't going to activate the rest and Upwork is going to say that it's my fault that I didn't settle it with him. If I cancel or if he cancels, my JSS drops and my whole account is on line because of this JSS drop. Should I deliver all the work in $15? If he doesn't activate the remaining milestones, will I get any support from customer support regarding this dispute? Will it negatively affect my profile?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Well, here's an unpopular opinion. With 68% JSS, you got an interview and also landed a contract! 

If I were you I will just consider this to be a $15 job and try to satisfy the client to the fullest and get the best rating possible! I would not worry about the $10, if he pays I will consider it a bonus and continue to work considering this is a $15 job! 

With just 9 jobs and in 5 months you are @ 68% JSS, probably you need to reconsider how you interact with clients and how they perceive it. Don't just do the job, aim to deliver above the client's expectations! 

One more bad review or private feedback and no one probably will look at your profile. 

There are clients who will try to take benefit of your current situation and get the work done in less. So, even if he refuses to pay the remaining $10 after the job, be polite and try to get a good feedback! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abdullah S wrote:

I have been bidding on Upwork to incerase my JSS and found a client. Now the contract started and we agreed on $25. He added $15 and $10 milestones separately and later on said that he will only pay me the $10 milestone after I complete all the work in $15. Now I know he isn't going to activate the rest and Upwork is going to say that it's my fault that I didn't settle it with him. If I cancel or if he cancels, my JSS drops and my whole account is on line because of this JSS drop. Should I deliver all the work in $15? If he doesn't activate the remaining milestones, will I get any support from customer support regarding this dispute? Will it negatively affect my profile?

You are misinformed. Cancelling a contract doesn't affect your JSS negatively, only bad private feedback does. There is no dispute. Deliver the work in your most professional manner and hope for good feedback (but don't mention it!). 

petra_r
Community Member

Abdullah S wrote:

If I cancel or if he cancels, my JSS drops and my whole account is on line because of this JSS drop

Untrue on every level. Unless you get poor private feedback, a cancelled contract doesn't affect your KSS, and even if your JSS dropped, that wouldn't put your whole account on line.

Abdullah S wrote:

If he doesn't activate the remaining milestones, will I get any support from customer support regarding this dispute? 

Not at all. There is no dispute. You can't dispute inactive milestones and why in the world would you agree to such a minuscule contract being chopped up into two milestones anyway?

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Well, here's an unpopular opinion. With 68% JSS, you got an interview and also landed a contract! 

If I were you I will just consider this to be a $15 job and try to satisfy the client to the fullest and get the best rating possible! I would not worry about the $10, if he pays I will consider it a bonus and continue to work considering this is a $15 job! 

With just 9 jobs and in 5 months you are @ 68% JSS, probably you need to reconsider how you interact with clients and how they perceive it. Don't just do the job, aim to deliver above the client's expectations! 

One more bad review or private feedback and no one probably will look at your profile. 

There are clients who will try to take benefit of your current situation and get the work done in less. So, even if he refuses to pay the remaining $10 after the job, be polite and try to get a good feedback! 

Ashraf K wrote:

Not an unpopular opinion at all! Just very practical on how do deal with a bad situation. I feel OP doesn't have quite the right approach to this when he said: I have been bidding on Upwork to incerase my JSS when it should be: I have been bidding on Upwork to provide excellent work to my clients, (and hopefully get a nice review which I will because my work is great). The wrong motivation might lead to wrong decisions and the wrong clients. Haggling over small amounts will never end well. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members