🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Company is suspended?
Page options
h_parashar
Community Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ronnie,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509

Hi Misbah,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, your contracts with them will be paused and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. You can find more information in this help article

Additionally, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I mean no offence, but I highly doubt that your hourly rate is $700. Therefore, if someone has in fact hired you at $700 I would bet everything I own and say your project was fraudulent and/or a scam. Thiis is even more evident in the fact the client's account was suspended. Bottom line, do not hold your breath waitning for your payment.

but on my profile my earnings are showing like $300+. So what is it?
misbahnoor
Community Member

anyways better luck next time for me

e768c547
Community Member

Hello,

I was issued a contract and I delivered the task within a very short time span as the client had some strict deadline. However, the client was reluctant to review the task and kept stalling. 

Now, his account is suspended after he got the results and surprisingly, he is insisting on giving new jobs despite not paying for the first job due to some problem with his account.

The conclusion is the client got what he wants without me getting paid for that, and apparently he doesn't want to share details on when he's going to fix his account problem and I believe he never intends to. 

How am I supposed to get compensated for that? ... as it seems to me this is fraud, absolutely.

Oh no! You can get scammed here too?? 

You know, it's probably best you complain about it to the upwork because they'd make sure your money is given to you. 

brianna_wilson
Community Member

Hello,

I worked ona  project and submitted my hours. Then, I got a notice that the contract was suspended. The payment was "verfied" when I applied for the Job. I do not see anyway to get in contact with Upwork about an update.

This was in April and we are now in May and there has been no word from Upwork.
What happens to the connects I had to spend to get the Job?

Also, the money I'm waiting on?

Will I be refunded both?
How can I reach out to Upwork about this? 

Hi Brianna,

When a contract is paused it means that your client has a problem with their account that they need to resolve. It's best to not continue working on the contract until it's resumed. You may get in touch with your client to have an idea where you may resume working, provided the contract is no longer paused by then. Feel free to check out this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
lydiaschulze
Community Member

One of my contracts was paused by Upwork last Friday. I contacted the client and today they told me they had to agree to some new conditions from Upwork in order to continue their contracts. So now that the client agreed to the conditions they asked me to check if everything is working again but the contract has not been reactivated since. How long does this usually take? Whenever a contract was suspended by Upwork in the past, I felt like it was immediately reactivated as soon as the client solved the underlying issue.

I can't log my working hours for Friday and I didn't even get paid for the week before last week. So all of this makes me a bit nervous, I basically worked 2 weeks without pay now.

Also, the client told me they checked their payment method and everything is fine (no expired credit card or such).

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you already communicated with our team and they shared additional information about your contract with you on your ticket. If you have further questions or if you need further assistance please follow up with our team directly on your ticket and they will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
6283271f
Community Member

Hello

I received this email 10 days ago. And they haven't told me anything else about this case.

Someone from Upwork? help

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Karen,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, your contracts with them will be paused and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
6283271f
Community Member

Hello

I know that. I would like to know how long this will be one month two
months?

Karen
Community Member

I have this problem too

I am upwork New Cellar

What should I do now? What can I do now? please help me

3d83df28
Community Member

Hi,

I am a freelancer and I completed a task for a client in a very short time, at their request.

The day after, I received a notification from Upwork, stating that the contract was on hold and I should stop working for this client until problem was solved.

I also received, in the messages, a notification of cancellation from the client, that otherwise remains silent.

I have completed and sent the translation I was tasked to do, and it feels like something's off.

It looks to me like this client had me work quick, before Upwork would find that there was a problem with their account. This way, they could get the job done and not pay for it.

If the client was to not answer ever again, would I still get a payment for the work I did?

I read in the forums that some contracts were put on hold/suspended for several months without resolution. Does Upwork eventually pay for the jobs that were completed and submitted?

Hi Leeroy,

was it a contract based project? 

If yes,  so you no need to worry about your payment.

if no, you can Get support from Upwork help center.

Thank you

I'm posting this to give anyone else in the same situation an idea of the potential outcome.

In short, you might be screwed and there is nothing you can do.

Personally, I'm done with UpWork.

An agent from Upwork Help responded to my request, here is the complete answer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

3d83df28
Community Member

Hi Falgun,

yes, it was contract based. I still can see this contract in my list, and it shows: Completed.

It's good to know I'm covered, then — thank you for taking the time to tell me.

c05e75c3
Community Member

I started my 4nd job on Upwork and after 14:30 hours of work I get notification that is a contract is paused

can you explain this situation. Right Now, My client's is not responding me. can I get my money I was worked?

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can understand your concern. The contract was paused on the 8th of May so any hours logged prior to that date still qualify for Payment Protection. Our team will check your Work Diary and pay you for the hours that adhered to the criteria listed here.

While your contract is paused, you may do the following: 

• Stop working on the contract immediately – Any work completed during this time is not covered by Upwork’s Payment Protection.  Do not resume billing through Upwork until you receive a notification from Upwork that the contract is reactivated. Hours billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.
  • Contact your client – Get in touch with your client as soon as possible to find out when the contract will resume.

All Upwork users have the freedom to end a contract anytime but kindly talk to your client first because it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on with the contract and has a mutual agreement to close the contract. Please note as well that an email was sent to your client advising them on how to fix the issue regarding the suspension of their account. 

~ AJ
Upwork
75012be6
Community Member

I'm encountering the same issue and I can't add manual time this week. What should I do? Should I contact my client directly?

My contract is currently paused by Upwork. I wasn't able to add manual hours for this week. What should I do? I can't find Upwork's support email. 

Hi Cedric,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I see that your contract has been paused while we are investigating the issue on your client account. Please do not resume work until the contract is active again as any hours logged while the contract is paused are not covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Check out this help page for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
27c1a1f8
Community Member

Hello, 

I was working with a client, we have two contracts together, that Upwork suspended without any given explanation. I discussed the matter with the client and he also says that it is the first time that this happens. I don't know if I am going to be paid for the work that I did for this client tho!

Will this issue be resolved soon? Where is the problem? 

Thank you

Hi Syrine,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience. To help protect both you and your clients, we pause contracts in certain situations.

For example, if there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account or billing method, we’ll pause your contract with them. While the contract is paused, you won’t be able to bill that client and should stop any work on the project until the contract is resumed. We’ll let you know if we have paused one of your client’s contracts, and we’ll also let you know when we reactivate the contract. We can’t share the specifics regarding why the contract was paused, due to privacy concerns.

Feel free to review this help article for more details. We seek your patience and understanding while we sort this out for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
khadim287472
Community Member

I have many contracts going on but recently i received a notification from Upwork mentioning that one of my contract is paused due to some reason and they mentioned the contract name and ID which is paused by Upwork but then I checked my contracts and I saw that my two contracts are paused the one is which i received notification and other one which I didn't received any notification frlm Upwork for that contract.

I contacted my client (the one who's contract pause notification was not sent by Upwork) and asked him that Contact is paused what's the reason. He replied that contract is not paused and it was never paused. 

I don't know how what's this situation.

Hi Khadim,

I checked and can confirm that the contract in question is indeed paused. I'm afraid that we can't share details of another user's account due to privacy reasons, though your client may contact our Support team for further assistance. I'd suggest that you do not resume working with this client until the contract is reactivated, as any work completed during a contract pause is not covered by Upwork’s Payment Protection programs. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

How my client can resume the contract and how this issue can resolved?

Hi Khadim,

The client has to contact the support team. You don't have to do anything on your end as only the client can get this resolved.

~ AJ
Upwork
4b57dcb5
Community Member

Hey Upwork,

I was working on a project:
Contract ID: 30342984
After submitting the work 22 May 2022 the client become unresponsive.
After 2 days of submitting the work I Recieved an email from Upwork of contract holded 24 May 2022.
Now 14 days passed I submitted my work.
When I Recieved my amount.
Please checkout what's wrong with this contract.
Thank you

Hi Faiqa,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hey Annie,

I don't understand what's you mean.

After 2 days of submitting the work I received message from Upwork for hold.

So, My question is that can you check out please client amount funded or not .

According to Upwork policy I received the amount automatically after submition of 14 days.

Can you check out what wrong with the client.

Will I Recieve my funds in this situation?

Thank you

Hi Faiqa,

One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank You Annie

waiting for agent to connecting.

Client is also unresponsive.

So, I can't contact the client.

I request the Upwork please kindly resolve my issue.

Thank you

7e9b9b17
Community Member

Hello everyone. 

I have a contract which is paused by Upwork for almost 2 months now. It also says the Client is suspended due to some reason.

Should I wait till upwork gets this fixed or end my contract? 

Rpereira

Hi Rejoy,

While your contract is paused, you may do the following: 

• Stop working on the contract immediately – Any work completed during this time is not covered by Upwork’s Payment Protection.  Do not resume billing through Upwork until you receive a notification from Upwork that the contract is reactivated. Hours billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.
  • Contact your client – Get in touch with your client as soon as possible to find out when the contract will resume.

All Upwork users have the freedom to end a contract anytime but kindly talk to your client first because it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on with the contract and has a mutual agreement to close the contract.

~ AJ
Upwork
barcinasxx
Community Member

Is there still a possibility for me to be able to get my pending bonus on Upwork even if my client's account has been paused by Upwork?

Hi Abigail,

Unfortunately, we're unable to advise on this as we can't share any information about your client's account with you. I would suggest you communicate with your client directly and encourage them to resolve the issue with our support team.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths