🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Doubt
Page options
a7946aa0
Community Member

Doubt

Hello, i am new in this site and i would like to know what i have to do to get jobs, i applied one or two times

but i am not sure if it reaches the bidder

thanks if you can help me

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Hello Silvana,

Applying to jobs is the best way for most freelancers to get jobs. Freelancers new to Upwork often must apply to dozens of jobs before winning their first job, and even experienced Upwork freelancers can apply to dozens of jobs before winning their next.

However, you must complete and optimize your profile before applying to jobs. Right now, your profile does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you, and the existing information will turn clients away. Here is what you can do to fix it:

Hourly Rate: I'm sure you know your hourly rate is ridiculous. Use an hourly rate that matches the graphic design skill area and your experience level.

Overview/Summary: Remove unnecessary words from your summary. "Unnecessary" are any words that do no describe your graphic design services, your approach to delivering those services, and why clients should choose you. For example, remove this from the beginning of your summary:

"Editorial graphic design / network design"

"A few lines so you can get to know me..."

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200 or so characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, your experience, your value).

Next, use your summary to tell clients what you can do and how you can help them. Clients come to Upwork with specific graphic design needs and they look for illustrators/designers who can meet those needs and get results. I suggest adding information like:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards.
  • What software applications and tools do you use (e.g., Adobe PhotoShop & Illustrator, Maxon, CorelDraw, Blender, etc.)
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a design or project is completed?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Portfolio: As a senior graphic designer, it should be illegal to not have a portfolio! You absolutely must add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Skills: You have Graphic Design as a skill category and this is great. But there are other skill categories related to your work that you should add. How about Art Direction, Editorial Design, Art & Design, and any others related to your services and experience. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Employment History: You have an extensive work history in graphic design. Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. Upwork uses keywords in job titles and descriptions to match you with relevant jobs.

Your profile is off to an "okay" start, but I would not apply to any jobs until you make the updates suggested above.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
celgins
Community Member

Hello Silvana,

Applying to jobs is the best way for most freelancers to get jobs. Freelancers new to Upwork often must apply to dozens of jobs before winning their first job, and even experienced Upwork freelancers can apply to dozens of jobs before winning their next.

However, you must complete and optimize your profile before applying to jobs. Right now, your profile does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you, and the existing information will turn clients away. Here is what you can do to fix it:

Hourly Rate: I'm sure you know your hourly rate is ridiculous. Use an hourly rate that matches the graphic design skill area and your experience level.

Overview/Summary: Remove unnecessary words from your summary. "Unnecessary" are any words that do no describe your graphic design services, your approach to delivering those services, and why clients should choose you. For example, remove this from the beginning of your summary:

"Editorial graphic design / network design"

"A few lines so you can get to know me..."

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200 or so characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, your experience, your value).

Next, use your summary to tell clients what you can do and how you can help them. Clients come to Upwork with specific graphic design needs and they look for illustrators/designers who can meet those needs and get results. I suggest adding information like:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards.
  • What software applications and tools do you use (e.g., Adobe PhotoShop & Illustrator, Maxon, CorelDraw, Blender, etc.)
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a design or project is completed?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Portfolio: As a senior graphic designer, it should be illegal to not have a portfolio! You absolutely must add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Skills: You have Graphic Design as a skill category and this is great. But there are other skill categories related to your work that you should add. How about Art Direction, Editorial Design, Art & Design, and any others related to your services and experience. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Employment History: You have an extensive work history in graphic design. Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. Upwork uses keywords in job titles and descriptions to match you with relevant jobs.

Your profile is off to an "okay" start, but I would not apply to any jobs until you make the updates suggested above.

a7946aa0
Community Member

Hello, something you answer to me and i have a doubt  "Hourly Rate: I'm sure you know your hourly rate is ridiculous. Use an hourly rate that matches the graphic design skill area and your experience level." I am located in Argentina, i must rate in dollars or in the argentinian coin?

thanx

celgins
Community Member

Your rate must be in U.S. dollars.

I just searched and most graphic designers based in Argentina are between $15.00/hr - $50.00/hr depending on experience and speciality.

a7946aa0
Community Member

thank you!
a7946aa0
Community Member

Thanks for the answer, it is helpful. I will follow your indications 

b2d28c6f
Community Member

Thank you so much for the information, It was helpful.

Want to get full marks for your writing work? I also wanted to get them once in a lifetime and to get them, I visited a website. You can also follow this to learn more. They are a professional writing service provider website; they write for you if you hire a professional from there. I loved them so much. That is why I am sharing them with you.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members