🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it okay if client asked for an Anydesk
Page options
00f3ac43
Community Member

Is it okay if client asked for an Anydesk

Hi, I got an offer on as an FB campaign manager. The client asked for an email to send a file containing the instructions of the project.

The file was in rar format. The client told me to unzip it, so I did. The content was a PowerPoint application and an empty PDF version. I asked the client if I missed something, as there should be some sort of training materials included.

The client then asked if I have AnyDesk so he can help me open it. Instead of answering directly, I inquired about the contents of the file, so I could check if it's documents, videos, or PDFs for training, etc.

The client replied, asking for an AnyDesk ID. The client is verified with no history. Is this okay?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
e5567284
Community Member

Hi, I got this same offer two days ago. Please keep yourself away from this they are scammers. You can check the client's history he must be having payment method verified but zero spending and reviews. If you successfully run that application your device will be hacked report that to upwork to yourself safe. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
e5567284
Community Member

Hi, I got this same offer two days ago. Please keep yourself away from this they are scammers. You can check the client's history he must be having payment method verified but zero spending and reviews. If you successfully run that application your device will be hacked report that to upwork to yourself safe. 

Thank you, the client is now on hold.

Hi , I've got the offer and I accepted that offer but after a chat with the client he suddenly insist me to download some anydesk software ? Now what will happen for the project , if he is fake , then he will give me a negative rating so how to find a solution ? please help me 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Read the responses in this thread, especialy the one from Darryl B. There isn't any real job - the "client" is a scammer and the file is malware. Do not download it or apply for any "Facebook ads" projects. Report this person to Upwork by clicking on the three dots to the right of the client's message.

yofazza
Community Member

You should restore your computer.

In the meantime, you might want to assume that a keylogger is installed, so whatever you type (such as passwords) is being read by someone else.

00f3ac43
Community Member

Thank you, I'd be very careful next time.

e2397344
Community Member

i know the client, this exactly happened to me and now the clients account
is on hold
Community Member

I would scan all files before opening them. I would scan files with virus scanners, malware scanner, and have a firewall on your system.

Another thing I would do is only work in a (VM)Virtual environment in case you install any miscellaneous programs that might backdoor a program/operating system, this way if your VM environment was corrupted by this file, you can delete the environment and run a backup.

This concept of working in a VM keeps you safe, also your client will be safe within that environment you are working with.

Create a new VM for each Job you do from a Main Backup enviroment for that person/company or start new enviroment each time if you like, it will be up to you how you wish to work it.

Read more about VM's here for Windows, MacOs, Linux. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members