🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is that connects are incresed to 16 to 19 con...
Page options
soniakash77
Community Member

Is that connects are incresed to 16 to 19 connect

I have recently seem that my proposal are about to 19 connect is that true? 

340 REPLIES 340
vipul_si
Community Member

I also noticed the same thing that some jobs are posted with 19 connects? Earlier it was (4,8,12,16) connects needs to apply. I worndering now some jobs are with 09 connects and some with 19 connects. Didn't match any sense with the relation of current connects and job ranges. 

I just saw a 21 connect job. OOF!

What 😱

Good bye 21, welcome 23 😂

yesterday i applied for a job to spent 34 connects in the first position 😀

Greed has always been the downfall of many great empires

I have also noticed an increase in the number of Connects by Upwork. This is not good, especially for those, who are just starting out. I have even seen a job post that required 23 Connects! 

Also the Upwork Plus program has just 80 connects per month. So I would be able to apply on 4~5 Jobs max. only due to this. This is insane.

Upwork should decrease that number of connects, otherwise, many freelancers would be forced to leave this platform and search for other affordable platforms. 

Recently, I have seen that Upwork has incease the ratio to bid on projects and job post with high connects the connect ratio increase by 10/ 14 / 19/ 23.  

Is anyone see's the same, or just I have seen this !

I have also noticed an increase in the number of Connects by Upwork. This is not good, especially for those, who are just starting out. I have even seen a job post that required 23 Connects! 

Also the Upwork Plus program has just 80 connects per month. So I would be able to apply on 4~5 Jobs max. only due to this. This is insane.

Upwork should decrease that number of connects, otherwise, many freelancers would be forced to leave this platform and search for other affordable platforms. 

It's quite painful though.

soniakash77
Community Member

So now what upwork is planning to do? Nowadays competition is too healthy that in sec only many interviews and proposals are submitted. Increasing the number of Connects makes freelancers wonder if they should bother, as their proposal might not be viewed or hired, resulting in wasted Connects. Posting 19 Connects might be seen as a wrong move by Upwork.

Hey all, it looks like the required amount of connects is going up AGAIN. Just had a project where the minimum was 19 connects so I figure the maximum without bidding is likely to hit 20 ($3.00 USD) or more. 

Gotta love it; fun times. >.<

Upwork is looking for a way to get more money from freelancers

Seems upwork policy towards freelancers is getting tougher day by day. I saw some projects requiring 19 connects. This is way high and it will make it difficult to continue using the platform. 

- We loose connects when 90% of the projects get closed without hiring. Upwork earns atleast thru connects! 

- No charge to the clients whey they dont hire or post projects. This much change rather than just increasing connects and taxes on connects. 

- Freelancers and agencies want to sustain their business and needs work. Upwork knows this very well. Even if the connects are increased, I see 100+ proposals being posted on the projects within few mins. 

- Increasing connects it not the solution. Rather is just causing freelancers a financial burden without any return of investments. Basically if freelancer is hired or not, upwork will earn through the connects. 

- If clients are overvelmed with proposals, then increasing connects wont fix it. Freelancers and agencies still need jobs! We have no choice but to apply with our proposals. 

I strongly object this policy of upwork. 

And at least they have to announce if they are changing any parameters 

wrote:

Freelancers and agencies still need jobs! We have no choice but to apply with our proposals. 

I strongly object this policy of upwork. 

Everyone has a choice and you don't need to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. There are other platforms and mediums for sourcing work.

Vote with your wallet.

Yes you are right

Let's hope our objections count and something can be done about this.

penngrp
Community Member

Just came across a job requiring 22 connects. Talk about gouging, but to add salt to the wounds most of the proposals sent are not even looked at thanks Upwork suggesting contractors who are not even qualified most times for the project in question.

6284c78b
Community Member

Yes, if Upwork returned connects in situations where proposals weren't viewed, jobs were removed etc. then that would be fair enough. The way it is, they are basically printing money: 20 proposals x 15-20 connects x thousands of new jobs every hour.  

Maybe they have the same financial advisors as Amazon

fully agreed

Hi fellow freelancer,
Upwork is increasing the connects to apply on jobs day by day, since today I have noticed that the majority of the jobs require 19 connects to send, Anyone else experiencing this as well

Its depend on client job post and paying history 

Hey guys ! attention please !!!! 

SO I NOTICED THAT THE CONNECTS DESPITE BEING INCREASED FROM 16 TO 19 , ARE NOW BACK TO NORMAL . However, from time to time they again get increased to 19 in a day. Can please anyone explain what exactly is this issue ? Is there a certain TIME FRAME set for connects to increase to from 16 to 19 and then come back to normal ? 

I haven't notice that yet!

crart
Community Member

Does it concern one and the same job? As is, you see a job that costs 19 connects to apply, then later that same job is 16 connects? Instead of caps be more specific.

All in all, we can write as much as we can, UW doesn't pay any attention to this, they're tunneling their great goal of earning money no matter the means. This shady move behind our backs of removing connects amount from filter, upping amount needed to pay to apply, everything makes this platform terrible place for everyone, including UW employees probably. Informing platform members about changes to the platform is mandatory and I don't remember having email arrived informing that I will be required to pay more to post proposal that will never be seen. All they are doing for last year, maybe more, paints realistic picture of this corpo focused solely on getting as deep into our pockets as they can, without any shame. If it was a person, I would punch them in the face and call the police. To be honest, they breached EU law many times.

Its depend on job post and client spending history!

*EDIT*

It seems this post got merged with another post. It's sad it happened because it only partly addresses the issue of the post it has gotten merged with */EDIT*

I just stumbled on a job that was 23 connects to apply for. 23?

And as a freelancer with a basic account, you still only get 10 connects per month. As a paid subscriber it's 100 connects. The math is really not mathing here, peepz. 

Between how rare it is becoming that clients actually even look at the proposals sent, the ridiculous amount of scams, and the infinite multiple posts of the same jobs (I flagged a bunch THREE days ago, that are still up),  I start to wonder if this is a wise path to wander, anymore. 

Can anyone from Upwork prove me wrong? Can someone tell me that UW actually is looking into these issues and implementing new and effective strategies to prevent scamming, multiple postings, and us freelancers losing money because of this? 

Just by looking at the questions and issues posted here, in the community section, it's easy to tell there are multiple issues to be addressed, pronto! 

And don't get me wrong, please. I love UW and the connections I've made, the amazing clients I've worked with, and the helpful spirit of the community. Nevertheless, when it starts costing over $3 just to apply for a job, it stings a bit. Especially if it turns out it's a scam or that no one even looks at the proposals. 

Am I making any sense?

Please can you post a screenshot just blur the details of the job, this would be very interesting to see

23connects.png

Wow this is crazy... Absolutely nothing to say!...😳.. the end is really near 😅😅😅

I most certainly will never apply for any job with such....  Even at 4,8,10 connects, the jobs aren't worth it ... Clients looking for cheap options and Upwork's response is to increase the connects . That's awesome... Please do skip such dear freelancers 

Dirty Upwork Platform!!!!!

You're making complete sense. This is exactly what I was wondering for the last few days. There are clients who just post jobs for fun or something. They never read the proposals, never hire anyone. 

For new freelancers, this is insane. Upwork should only deduct connects when a proposal has been viewed. Also, what are we supposed to do with only 10 connects a month? Apply for one fake job unknowingly and just like that, our precious connects are gone.

celgins
Community Member

I mentioned in this post that I suspect the price of Connects will continue to climb until Upwork meets its objectives. There is nothing to prevent Upwork from increasing the number of Connects needed to apply to certain jobs to 22, 23, 25, or 28 Connects, or higher.

Upwork tells us they have measures in place to detect and prevent scams, but there is very little evidence when searching for jobs in their marketplace. I do believe they prevent some scams like payment fraud, money laundering, bribery, security breaches, etc., that most site users never see. However, the more noticeable scams (i.e., duplicate job posts, contacts off-site prior to initiating contracts, unethical service requests, etc.) seem to be less concerning to Upwork.

I still believe the increase in Connects is multi-fold; I said two-fold before because I think the two biggest reasons:  1) increase revenue; 2) drive more freelancers off the platform.

I agree with #1, but I think they want as many freelancers as possible, spending those connects, and boosting, all the time. Connects are the income, so I doubt they want fewer freelancers throwing them at every job or scam.

Yes there should be a logic behind why connect put like that now let's say one job I seen 11 connects required..and in this month I didn't received free connects and min is 10 so how one can apply for 11 if they are getting free connects? Means after purchase also will remain 2 and 4 which freelancers can't use ever due to odd digits.

if they want to remove scam then take action on clients..like you can only post job on Upwork if your payment is verified it's simple isn't it? Why have to allow unverified clients if they want to stop scam? 

and interesting thing I seen one scam job I seen as featured job...how??? 

In all fairness, it's not hard for a scammer to get a verified payment. They'll just use a stolen credit card number. Those can be found pretty easily. 

When I look at a potential job/project, I look at several things to determine if I should/would apply for it. One is if the client is verified on payment, another is how long they've been members here, and the third is what kind of rating they have AND what former freelancers have to say about them. I also base my decision on how detailed the job description is and what kind of deadlines exist, if any. I all these check out, I also look at the stats showing: hire rate, number of jobs and stuff like that. 

Yeah check those too

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members