🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No profile views even after doing things righ...
Page options
ayush_goyal
Community Member

No profile views even after doing things right

Hi everyone,

I just started being active on upwork a few weeks ago, and while I understand that it takes a while to land the first job and I need to have patience, I am wondering why no one cared to respond to my  proposals or atleast view my profile. My profile view stats show 0 for all time. I don't expect to get a job right away, but I tried to do the right things as suggested by Upwork itself or by many other successful people such as -

1. Get a light up profile photo, dress up for it and post the headshot (Please suggest if I need to change mine)

2. Have a catchy title  (I think I have a catchy one? Could you please suggest)

3. Add your experience and show what you bring to the table 

4. Don't copy paste the proposals, submit a unique and relevant one to each job you apply for (I am doing this since the start)

5. I still need to add a portfolio or a video profile

Atleast a couple of profile views would encourage me to continue. Can anyone of you please spare a moment out of your busy schedule and help me review my profile or tell me what am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
yofazza
Community Member

What affects proposal views?

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. No
  4. Only the first 2 lines of your cover letter is visible before clients open (View) your proposal.
  5. No

6. I believe what affecting the most is actually, our proposal placement by the sorting algo. If it put your proposals at the 50th+ position, it's bad news for you. I read in many occasions that clients don't read the entire 50+ proposals. Some even got "mad" and leave after seeing the first few. 

Take a look at your stats, change Profile View into Proposals. If Viewed vs Sent ratio is between 10-30%, I'll say it's normal. It's normal when only 2 proposals read after sending 10.

I suggest to complete your profile, the algo might think to give you some kind of "beginner's luck". This is based on my observation here and Reddit, I saw a few new freelancers not only getting views (like above 50%) but also got hired more than once in just a week after joining.

Thanks for responding Radia. The stats for proposal views are even more concerning, no views for the proposals I've submitted in the past 30 days. Any suggestions on how to write proposals? I thought I was doing it right until now.

When the proposals were not viewed, it doesn't matter how you wrote it, isn't it?

Except for the first 2 lines:

w6wxsz4bkf191.jpg

* screenshot from Google

I tried placing clickbaits in the first two lines but it does not give much effect. So I'm more believed the clicks (views) are more affected by proposal rank, that determined by the algo.

The above screenshot only list 5 proposals. If mine always placed at the 50th+, it's understandable if I have 0 views.

I experienced 0% views, often goes for more than a month, for around a year. But from what I see the norms are 10 to 30% views. Mine was not normal, so does yours (how many you sent that still resulted in 0 views?)

I think I improved my views a bit into 20%+ (the norm) in the past 2 months. Not sure, maybe just luck, or maybe something I did in setting up my "properties" that might affect the sorting algo.

How good your proposal is written, or how great your profile, will affect the client on their decision to interview you, after they click/view your proposal.

melaniekhenson
Community Member

Can I point out a few quick things?

"Over the last 6 years, I've gained extensive experience..."

Change that to something confident. As it is, it reads like you're in the learning stage, or have been in the learning stage up until now. Clients don't want to teach freelancers. They want you to know not just the skills of the job itself, but how to handle communications with the team, reach deadlines...all the stuff that a *seasoned* pro does without being nudged. If it has taken you six years just to learn the job then that doesn't speak well of your ability to grab the bull by the horns and be a self-starter. Does that make sense?

Maybe say "Since 2017 I have taken my clients' plans to the next level, with a focus on Salesforce as a dynamc tool for blah-blah-blah." (Or whatever. Phrase it to show you have been an invaluable resource to your clients.)

Now. This:

"Extra Highlights - - Tailblazer mentor(recognised by Salesforce), I'll be happy to assist anyone in need for resume writing or interview preparation FREE of cost, as an effort to give back to the society. - Triple star ranger, with 15x superbadges. - I've been invited by universities for guest lectures in India, and have delivered corporate and college trainings with a little over 500 students so far."

1. Take out "extra." (Also: fix the spelling of trailblazer.)

2. List this near the top of your profile. After your opener, get right to the point. No client is going to read that far down. Clients don't have the time.

3. NO offers of anything free. No no no no no. Just no, man. Never-ever. It's against TOS. (Jobs have a $5 minimum, I believe.) And it cheapens you. Someone who is a master in his field doesn't need to beg clients to accept free work. Why would they? I get that you say you're giving back. In this global economic climate, no client is going to believe your reason, even if it is true (and nice). They will see it as a freelancer pleading for someone, anyone to approach. You're more than that! Know it and show it.

Otherwise, things look great. Great photo, primo skills, very nice. Good luck!

Upwork seems like not having any way to help new comers to this site .  If I sell in Amazon, I would have multiple ways to make my product lists go on the front page, such as keyword optimization and paid by click and sponsored list, etc.  Most of clients naturally prefer providers who have established work history in Upwork. Therefore new comers tend to be hard to get opportunity and of course, in disadvantage.  Their profile always stay the bottom where no one has patience scrolling down  for hours to view.   I have 25 years on high end fashion industry and Made-to- measure field, and I listed those skills on my profile, but when I applied for the most relevant jobs that my skills can fit very well, Upwork always said that my skills did not meet clients requirement. What a hell! 
Every new one  come to this site must have a long way to go to establish background, but if the site does not provide certain ways to help them, this finally will limit the new water coming.  At least, you should do something that lift their profile up, such as open a small section that features new profiles, similar to introduce new books

Yanming L wrote:

Upwork seems like not having any way to help new comers to this site .  If I sell in Amazon, I would have multiple ways to make my product lists go on the front page, such as keyword optimization and paid by click and sponsored list, etc.  Most of clients naturally prefer providers who have established work history in Upwork. Therefore new comers tend to be hard to get opportunity and of course, in disadvantage.  Their profile always stay the bottom where no one has patience scrolling down  for hours to view.   I have 25 years on high end fashion industry and Made-to- measure field, and I listed those skills on my profile, but when I applied for the most relevant jobs that my skills can fit very well, Upwork always said that my skills did not meet clients requirement. What a hell! 
Every new one  come to this site must have a long way to go to establish background, but if the site does not provide certain ways to help them, this finally will limit the new water coming.  At least, you should do something that lift their profile up, such as open a small section that features new profiles, similar to introduce new books

This is only partially correct. It's not true that newcomers permanently stay at the bottom of searches. After all, we were all new here at some point (or new on Elance or Odesk). We had to have a solid profile, solid, provable skills, take all the tests, perhaps start out at a lower pay rate, and make many more approaches as newbs, and we had to do a great job at the projects we did get so we could build a JSS. Every person here had to build a reputation by doing things right.

Optimization of various types does figure into searches here, but clients don't want the person with the most keywords, they want the person who fits their (the client's) criteria...number of hours worked, or JSS, or location (for time zone purpises) or...whatever, in addition to the actual job skills. The more clients have to dig through the spam, the less likely they are to return and give Upwork business. 

Thank you so much for taking out time to review my profile. I've made some changes as suggested by you. Kaizen 🙂

Ayush G wrote:

Thank you so much for taking out time to review my profile. I've made some changes as suggested by you. Kaizen 🙂

You're welcome. Oh, I love the "kaizen" mention! My son and I were just discussing the concept the other day as it is part of one of his classes. Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members