🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please explain why a professional writer woul...
Page options
arendt_laurie
Community Member

Please explain why a professional writer would attend a Jasper seminar

I'm a top earner on Upwork and have worked here regularly for a few years. The number/quality of jobs has rapidly disintegrated in the past year. The pending commission change has made me rethink continuing on this platform.

What has now affirmed my decision to leave at the end of the year? The invitation to attend a Jasper seminar. Why in the world would Upwork invite someone who makes a living as a writer to this? Do you really think this will keep writers here?  

7 REPLIES 7
f53bd8d5
Community Member

I'm new to upwork

hello, can I ask you a favor! How do I make sure a customer has been verified? because i did a service for this gentleman and he has to pay me but before i receive the money i have to send him 90$ for commission.

Thanks 

celgins
Community Member

This gentleman is trying to scam you. If you send the $90 commission, you will never get your money back and you will not be paid for the service you provided.

You did not follow the rules of Upwork by providing the service without an Upwork contract. Use it as a learning lesson and go through the Academy Courses to learn how to use Upwork. After that, go through Top Red Flags for Scams to better prepare yourself by learning how to avoid these types of scams.

If you wish to discuss further, you should start another thread since Laura's post is about Jasper invites.

celgins
Community Member

My initial reaction is that the invite isn't targeted at you or writers; instead, it's a blanket invite sent to millions of freelancers. If it is targeted to you and other writers, it's quite absurd and Upwork has made quite a few similar decisions lately. 

I don't think their motive in sending the Jasper invite is to keep writers here. I think they're trying to get millions of freelancers, who are not writers, to attend a seminar and learn how to use Jasper so they can offer better written content to their clients.

2779bde0
Community Member

This a SCAM, Please read the Terms of Service so you understand how the platform works. You should never be giving money to any client.

the-right-writer
Community Member

No need to keep writers, chatgptbot can do it all, says Upwork and some freelancers. Another reason clients are leaving.

I'm sure you were not intentionally targeted. Upwork has shown no ability or will to deliver targeted messages. As Clark said, it was a blanket ad. All we have seen is this massive push for everyone to use some chatGPTbots. No one has addressed my multiple posts about the legal issues, plagiarism, lawsuits and the other critical parts of the program. I am not seeing a reduction in the people saying they were scammed, or that can't find jobs. 

What I don't see people talking about (well, me), is this is a money thing, not a help the freelancer thing. Do you think this "cooperation" between the companies comes without money? I'm sure Upwork got a good chunk of change for pushing the program. Millions of people being bombarded on a daily basis to sign up for Jasper. Now that is going to be a nice cash kick, both for Upwork and for Jasper and all the other outside, paid programs Upwork advertises. Freelancers are supposed to think they will make more money if they use the programs, and that Upwork wants them to do it.

Upwork knows the problem, but they won't stop. You can ChatGPTbot everyone, and since there are few real clients, what jobs are there? And if there is a real job, there are hundreds of proposals. Upwork won't let us see the truth and the numbers, but some clients receive hundreds.

Upwork doesn't need any of us. Quality be damned. And no one will address the outright theft of every single word in the program. These programs can't create, only do a tech version of copy and paste. Plagiarism issues are huge, especially for any work in any field that is used other than internally.

tlsanders
Community Member

A great many writers and marketing professionals are attending this sort of event to learn what AI can and can't do, how it may be used as a tool rather than as a substitute for a writer, and what the future holds. I haven't done so personally, but I've hed high-end clients inquire about what AI can and can't do, and it's cerainly to my advantage to be able to answer those questions thoroughly.

Since a great many freelance writers have already lost clients to AI, it seems it would be beneficial to understand exactly what it offers, how it's being marketed, what it's weaknesses are, and even when the client might be better off using AI or someone who uses it to generate content than hiring you--I certainly never encourage a client to hire me if my skill level isn't required for their project. 

In addition, though AI is sewer garbage now, it will improve, and it may ultimately turn out to be a tool that abbreviates research time or otherwise speeds you along to the actual writing and analysis step. I'm pretty averse to that myself at the moment, but given the potential time savings it is inevitable that market prices will be impacted and you may be at a disadvantage not using the non-writing tools associated with it. Wouldn't you like to know how close to that we are to give you a clearer picture of how to either embrace the tools in the future or remain competitive with people who are doing so and charging lower rates for a similar product? 

ETA: I skipped over your final question, but I'm very curious about what's given you the impression that Upwork wants to keep writers here. Their shift in advertising had eliminated a very significant percentage of writing jobs.

mdznstudio
Community Member

Don't be an enemy of a tool.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members